• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Miller Capacitance of triode strapped pentode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
tcqanh said:
Cinput = C-Miller + Cgk + ...
Yes.

If we have no data of Cinput at triode mode, or also no data of Cg1-g2, then How do we calculate C-Miller ?
You can't. As I said, calculating it is easy; finding the values to put into the calculation can be difficult. If you can't calculate it then you have to measure it. The main effect on your circuit will be to impose an HF rolloff. If you can measure that (or its time domain equivalent, as Marcel suggests) then you have what you need.

Now, look at the Tungsol 12ax7.

Cinput = C grid to (Kathode + H)

Couput = C plate to (K+H)

So, Cinput = C-Miller + Cgk, is it right ?

Attachments

• capacitances of 12ax7.PNG
    capacitances of 12ax7.PNG
    20.2 KB · Views: 181
Correct.

But as said above the input source sees the total capacitance in a built-up circuit. E.g. fractions of pF will result from the tube socket; the grid and anode pins are adjacent. Particularly where the values are low as above one can best get it accurate by measuring frequency response in situ. This must of coarse include relevant resistances - a capacitor does not affect frequency response on its own. This includes the impedance of the input device, etc. (Just slapping on a signal generator with an ouput impedance of say 600 ohm will give too favourable results compared to most input devices.)

Now, look at the Tungsol 12ax7.

Cinput = C grid to (Kathode + H)

Couput = C plate to (K+H)

So, Cinput = C-Miller + Cgk, is it right ?
No. Valve datasheets generally give capacitances with all other electrodes grounded, so there is no Miller effect. For circuit design you won't have other electrodes grounded so you will get Miller effect.

Cinput (in circuit) = Cinput (from datasheet) + Cmiller

OOPS!!

Of course. I fear I am so used to read Cgk as actually Miller effect, that I faulted on things here. That also why I followed by provisions, which would include Miller effect. No, it is (Cgk x gain); but effect best measured in circuit to include everything.

Sorry about that (obviously not at my best before bed-time,)!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.