Mileva & other Monolith shaped speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As of our last conversation on the subject, Dave wanted to wait 'til first noise on this pair before posting the full construction drawings.

At that point, you'll see how the port slot is configured above the bottom panel.

The initial construction was only a few hours, (drilling all those holes in the "swiss cheese" brace with a dull hole saw was the most time consuming) - veneering and finishing usually triples total project time - but after more than a few, Sueb is tired of raw wood mules in her living space.

Looks like a very cool idea. Imagining the cabinet coming to a point much like a Lamborghini’s door’s open makes this more than just a typical box. But I must ask, how different do the sims look if the inside panels are removed and the vent opening remains the same? I like the sim btw, it looks to have some warmth due to the mild bass hump.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/fostex127eSSB.asp

My dims are smaller to fit on the sides of a fireplace but I tried to shape the response a little... not as much extension... Some have commented the overall sound is warm. Some has to do with the response and I think some has to do with the lack of a tweeter.

As an individual box, frankly I reckon they're going to be similar Jeff. The differences are going to be in the subjective realm WRT this unit -Meliva should have some of that characteristic midbass snarl TQWT does so well. The real potential lies in the flexibility of the geometry for a potential family of enclosures -it reduces excursion a bit, while having a bit more gain, which is useful for lower Q units.

Out of interest, I did an MLTL version for the 127 a few days back, which was v. similar to your BR (bit bigger) -nice to know we're thinking on the same lines!

G

Joined 2002
planet10 said:
A monolith is a style of cabinet (aka a tombstone)... here is a Monolith FE127 box (called Mileva). Based on the numbers for the FE127e Metronome and tweaked by Scott into a baby ML-BIB sort of thing... it stands less than a metre high and less than a 1/2 ft deep. (looking at the plans 11 1/4 x 32 5/8 x 5 1/8 (287x827x132) excluding the optional base)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A larger driver is going to mean a larger box, but it gives you an idea of how it might be configured.

dave

I wonder how they would sound using the Hemp Acoustics 4.5" driver? I would imagine they would kick ***.

I wonder how they would sound using the Hemp Acoustics 4.5" driver? I would imagine they would kick ***.

Yes, perhaps, tho I can not find anything published on the Hemp Acoustics site regarding these.

Last thing I heard about the 4.5" specifically, before their post elsewhere on this forum, was that the 6.5" were ready for shipping to distributors and the 4.5" was only a few weeks behind; that was well before Christmas. Then there is supposedly a new range of FR drivers (more co$tly?) being designed... If you know something more about the 4.5" availability, please share.

Kind regards
Raymond

Note too that the Omega units are not, AFAIK, the same drivers. As I understand it they have their own line made for them.

I'm not impressed about what's been going on re some of the hemp stuff of late -some drivers, like the Tone Tubby etc is the real deal. The original FR8 was too. Since then, things have gone pear-shaped with hemp units in general. I hear stories (which I won't repeat on-line), from people I know and trust, who are not at all happy campers. Until I see a steady supply of units, with good feedback, I'm personally leaving well alone.

Scottmoose said:

I'm not impressed about what's been going on re some of the hemp stuff of late -some drivers, like the Tone Tubby etc is the real deal. The original FR8 was too. Since then, things have gone pear-shaped with hemp units in general. I hear stories (which I won't repeat on-line), from people I know and trust, who are not at all happy campers. Until I see a steady supply of units, with good feedback, I'm personally leaving well alone.

Greets!

So you're saying these aren't the 'real deal' and/or of questionable quality?: http://www.e-speakers.com/products/hemp-acoustics.htm

My experience with Andre indicates to me that he wouldn't offer them if they weren't.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.