Mileva & other Monolith shaped speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A monolith is a style of cabinet (aka a tombstone)... here is a Monolith FE127 box (called Mileva). Based on the numbers for the FE127e Metronome and tweaked by Scott into a baby ML-BIB sort of thing... it stands less than a metre high and less than a 1/2 ft deep. (looking at the plans 11 1/4 x 32 5/8 x 5 1/8 (287x827x132) excluding the optional base)

mileva-FE127-MLV-0v99.gif

A larger driver is going to mean a larger box, but it gives you an idea of how it might be configured.

dave

Scott and Dave

Very nice job on Mileva - there is something inherently aesthetically pleasing to me in wide and shallow cabinets. Will the plans be posted?

Now, if Mileva could be could be developed for the FF165k or 168ESig, at a reasonable size (yes, means different things to different people), and have her back placed close-ish to the wall, I would find it very difficult to resist...

Thank you for taking the time and effort to make your considerable contributions to DIY audio; for many of us, it makes an emotionally involving presentation of music in our own homes more a possibility than fantasy. That is significant.

Kind regards
Raymond

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
rcdaniel said:
Very nice job on Mileva - there is something inherently aesthetically pleasing to me in wide and shallow cabinets. Will the plans be posted?

Thanx. The 1st build of these is underway. If they turn out we will post the plans, and will see what other drivers look like in a similar scheme. To get an idea of how big they would be for any driver, take the numbers for a suitable Metronome, height goes to a bit more than half (add 25-30% to the Metronome height and divide by 2), and the footprint will be about Sl.

http://www.frugal-horn.com/metronome-table.html

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
rcdaniel said:
if Mileva could be could be developed for the FF165k or 168ESig, at a reasonable size

The quick math suggested above suggests a cabinet a bit over a metre high with a footprint of 14" wide by 7" deep. It could get shallower with a bit more width, but some room for the driver to breath is important.... a supraBaffle like on these PAWOs might be helpful (and certainly a cosmetic plus (but not with Chris' SO)

bambooPAWO-collage.jpg

There is no data to work with the FF165.

dave

planet10 said:
Thanx... Chris deserves all the kudos for the wood work... Mileva is intended to take this concept one step further in terms of performance.

Since it's intended for mrs b's TV system, and needs to visually disappear, the first Mileva build will not be in bamboo/walnut.

But like the Pawo's, I have a feeling they won't be the last.

planet10 said:
Thanx... Chris deserves all the kudos for the wood work... Mileva is intended to take this concept one step further in terms of performance.

dave

Wanna start a new thread with this design? I've very interested in its progress. I'm looking into doing something else with my FE167e besides a MLTL or the standard BIB. This looks like it could but it...

My $.02...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Godzilla said:
Planet 10, is that system plugged into the UPS box i see on the right?

Sort of... the UPS box has been gutted to hold the power supply for a chipamp (i can never remember the number, but a loose analogy is "to the 1875, as the 4780 is to the 3875"). You may remember the carved yellow cedar main box.

20.jpg

This is the amplifier of the fellow who bought the bamboo PAWOs and he is still raving about them

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
RockysDad said:
Sorry, I am an idiot. We are in a dedicated thread... :xeye:

But only because of your comment...when you made it, we were embedded in the BIB thread... that makes you smart for poking not an idiot :)

dave

An aside: one of the most common problems with computers are the class of errors that are lumped together as "ID 10 T errors"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.