Mikasa, next?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Box Joints

I am not going too crazy with these, as the main purpose for them is to align everything for glueing. They sure look cool though. I am think I want to incorperate them with the solid maple exteriors I have planned, we will see...
Still a lot of cuts, something to look forward to after work tomorrow.

Thanks for all of your thoughts, this would not be going as well as it has without them.

God bless,

Allen

Attachments

• startjoinery.jpg
    startjoinery.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 267
  • joineryidea.jpg
    joineryidea.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Allen,
Nice job on the cuts and good choice in construction technique.
I read in one of your earlier posts that you might screw them together and Zia's comment about backing out the screws and filling them. Instead of fill you can drill the hole larger and insert a piece of doweling 8 mm or so, this will also add strength to the join and is decorative if you use a contrasting piece of doweling like purple heart or black walnut. Use a smaller head screw like a #1, you can also drill the hole at an angle to give the finished dowel an oval look.
Looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Bernie

I am not going too crazy with these, as the main purpose for them is to align everything for glueing. They sure look cool though. I am think I want to incorperate them with the solid maple exteriors I have planned, we will see...
Still a lot of cuts, something to look forward to after work tomorrow.

Thanks for all of your thoughts, this would not be going as well as it has without them.

God bless,

Allen

great woodworking...

A taste of victory

A struggle in the shop today, some joints off a little (biggest is 1/8"), but that is where the science yeilds to art. I will show you later how I will fix this. All and all this is part of the normal process, things are really going well. I still have a lot to do, it would be too easy to do a "sick" day off work tomorrow, but they really need me...

So, here are the front and sides dry fit, standing on their own. Victory is at hand, it is a matter of continuing to press forward.

Thanks Bernie, Gychang, and those of you in hiding for all of your encouragement. I will respond to some of your comments at a later date as I am in the heat of battle right now!

Allen

Attachments

• Tastegoal.jpg
    Tastegoal.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 241
Puzzle Pieces

Had a couple of short yet good sessions in the shop. Got all horn profile pieces notched and fitting well. Now alls I have left to notch are the front and sides, some of which must be done free hand! :yinyang:

Drivers are waiting for me at the Ironwood post office as Dave sent them with delivery comformation, which I am glad he did. I have a pretty heavy day at jobs tommorrow, so not sure how much will get done, although those drivers will be unpacked for sure!

I have also been collecting a couple of clamps here and there from freinds, so I hope to pile up enough to get these glued up. It seems no one person has enough clamps!

Enjoy the pictures...

Allen

Attachments

• Topbottompuzzle.jpg
    Topbottompuzzle.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Backhornpuzzle.jpg
    Backhornpuzzle.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 185
  • pozzlepieces.jpg
    pozzlepieces.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 204
Wow!!!

There is no buyers remorse here! I am so very impressed. Hats off to both Mark and Dave. It is rare to find artistry at this level these days, there is hope for humznkind yet! I can not wait to hear them...

...I would start breaking them in, but I do not have an amp! I sold my Sure class-T amps with my last system, as it was designed to be a self powered system. I am keeping my eye open for a mass market amp cheap, although I am reluctent to take any chances with these drivers. Even when I am done with my GC, it will be tested on some cheap drivers I have laying around first.

So what kind of wire have you guys been using on your full-range systems? I liked the cat-5 wire I used on my last system. I used four wires/conductor as in 8 wires/channel on my last system. Would more be better for this system as it is full-range? Or would you guys recommend diferent wire altogether? I need to figure out the wire, so I can decide how it will work with the cabinets. I would like the binding posts on the bottom in the back, which means I will need to build a base of some kind. If I go with that plan, that will also mean the horn will be off the floor about 3-4", so not sure if that is a good idea... details, details, details.

I will difinately be covering these cabinets with the solid maple pattern I have designed. After seeing these drivers, I am certain that is the right thing to do, eventhough it will cover a lot of this neat joinery I am doing. It appears we are going all the way with this system!

Attachments

• driverart.jpg
    driverart.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 82
  • coneart.jpg
    coneart.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 62
  • bezelart.jpg
    bezelart.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 63
We typically use 2 single strands from a cryotreated CAT5 cable.

dave

I want to make sure I have what you are saying right. One "wire" has four 24 gauge single conductors "stranded" together, right? So you use 1 "wire" (four conductors) for the + signal and another "wire" (four conductors) for the - signal? Becuase I am sure it is not one 24 gauge conductor for the + signal and another 24 guage conductor for the - signal! Yet I have been surprised before!

What is cryotreated? I am assuming this is not your normal hardware store variety!

Thanks, Dave, the drivers look stellar!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I want to make sure I have what you are saying right. One "wire" has four 24 gauge single conductors "stranded" together, right? So you use 1 "wire" (four conductors) for the + signal and another "wire" (four conductors) for the - signal? Becuase I am sure it is not one 24 gauge conductor for the + signal and another 24 guage conductor for the - signal! Yet I have been surprised before!

Each CAT5 cable has 8 wires as 4 twisted pairs. We take one of those twisted pairs out and use that (always the same colour on left & right as each colour has a different twist)

What is cryotreated? I am assuming this is not your normal hardware store variety!

Take the roll of CAT5 and immerse it in Liquid Nitrogen for at least 24 hrs. I haven't bothered checking to see if, or if it does how much, it has an effect.

the drivers look stellar!

Thanx.

dave

Trey Cool

Do I understand that you are literally immersing Cat 5 wire in liquid nitrogen? I am off to search threads and Google. I have heard of doing this to tubes but the conventional wisdom is that this is not effective or sonically noticeable. I never paid much attention to the process and assumed it was done in commercial equipment. I don't recall seeing liquid nitrogen at the super market or in any of the big box home stores. Do you get a tin of it and pour it into an empty cat litter container and submerge the wire for a day or does it take a tad more care and planning?

Could you point a cave man to a url or thread where this is discussed?

Or are you just pulling my leg?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have quite a few cyroed tubes (full PEARL treatment) and i feel they are better.

I have had the CAT5 done by someone else in the past, 1st by Bill @ PEARL, then by metalman when he worked at BC Hydro.

I need a new bacth and will go the low tech route. A strofoam cooler, some duct tape. Put the reel of CAT 5 in the cooler, drive it down to the place that sells liquid nitrogen. Have them fill er up, put the top on, duct tape it up and just leave it in the back of my truck until the LN has all boiled off.

LN is cheap, unless i can scare tp a cooler used or free, the cooler will represent most of the cost.

dave

glass tennis balls

I may be permanently scared for life remembering a film where a heavy rubber gloved man in a white jacket used tongs to dip a tennis ball into a container of LN and then throwing the ball and it exploding into shards like a light bulb shattering.

But you are suggesting that a Styrofoam container will not become brittle with the introduction of LN. I just wanted to know because this is just the sort of thing that will become fodder for the local Hi-Fi guru society when then meet next and I show up with my wire.

Cool beans.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
But you are suggesting that a Styrofoam container will not become brittle with the introduction of LN.

I got the idea from my doctor. I had a growth on my head. Doc came in with a big styrofoam cup with some LN in it. He preceeded to use a giant q-tip to freeze the growth off. He was handling the cup with bare hands.

dave

Opps

Each CAT5 cable has 8 wires as 4 twisted pairs. We take one of those twisted pairs out and use that (always the same colour on left & right as each colour has a different twist)

dave

Opps, got a little mixed up there between the CAT5 and the telephone wire I used a couple weeks ago on the new phone jack. (post #123) So it is one 24 gauge conductor/signal, two/speaker (twisted pair). In other words, you can wire four speakers with one run of CAT5 cable. Interesting, I have always been told that more is better, i.e. 8 conductors/signal. Are there any threads that discuss this in more detail?

Last edited:
I may be permanently scared for life remembering a film where a heavy rubber gloved man in a white jacket used tongs to dip a tennis ball into a container of LN and then throwing the ball and it exploding into shards like a light bulb shattering.

Yes, my sceince teacher did this in our astronomy class with rubber balls. Looks like there is some room for experimenting with this concept.

God Bless,

Allen

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Interesting, I have always been told that more is better, i.e. 8 conductors/signal. Are there any threads that discuss this in more detail?

Isn't that the typical masculine thing? Mine is bigger than yours...

It is discussed ad nausem with no conclusions. I always advise people to just try.*

I have "tricked" people into trying it a number of times, and they come back with positive reports. Wire is system dependent, so you can never be sure, and i'm sure CAT5 isn't the end all and be all. It certainly has incredible bang for the buck, often free. Even if you have to pay for it, we get to ride on the backs of the billions of miles made for the computer industry. If it was only used by hifi guys it would be 100-1000+times as expensive.

For an inefficient woofer i'll often use more strands.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.