microTower Revisited

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
hmmm… an interesting experiment. I have both a regular microTower and a set of Thirlmere R. mT currently has CHP70.2 with ERT26, i am goining to pull them and install some CHBW (same except up top). I was already going to install CHBW in Thirlmere, Scott having said they will work. My plan is to use those as a helper woofer.

And speaking of Thirlmere, Scot & i have been talking about bringing the Lake District set into today with a currently available driver.

Any interest? http://p10hifi.net/FH/downloads/Lake-District-maps-080909.pdf

Wow, that was almost 13 years ago.

There is a specific tuning for the CHP/CHPW, and Thirlnere is a more fine tuned box for the EL70.

So 1/ ML-TL vrs BVR 2/ tunable for different drivers vrs design specifically targeted to a single driver model.

Scott would have to say what bass extetion differences would be, the mT is a design that potentially offers greater extention, but the BVR is over 2x the volume and specifically designed for a driver that extends lower than most in its size class and certainly more capable than the CHP70.2 (CHP70.1 is a very different story).

dave

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Evan built my EL70 mTs 10 years ago, so I’m no expert on the construction. See this post for pictures of the braces:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ful...d-el70-microtower-cabinets-6.html#post2616635

The P7HDs did just drop in. Their frames rest roughly 1 mm above the baffle. I kept the original EL70 foam gaskets, stuck the thin rubber P7HD gaskets to their frames, and added a ~1mm cardboard gasket between.

I may research getting some proper gaskets made since I will change the screws at some point, but I’m too happy to just listen for now.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
That's a good discussion to have. After my recent upgrade, I of course have 4 orphaned EL70 drivers. If I use them again, I will likely want to cross them to some tweeters. They really only need help from about 10k up, but blending something in starting around 6k might be best.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MTM-EL70-ERT26-sXO.gif

I have some ERT26, 1 set EnABLed, another not (i think i still have that last pair)

One of the Nessies with the and EL70 firing up and the tweeter above the front EL70.

This box maximizes bass extention at the expense of some ripple.

dave

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Thank you evanc. I saw that the material thickness changed the position of the drivers. I started with 15mm like the plan says, but can go to 18mm or double 15mm. Your real wood sides with dados for the front and back has me churning ideas in my head. So much for following directions.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have to say my system has not sounded this good. Ever. The P7HDs are really very good in the EL70 microTowers. Thanks very much to all you smart and skilled people who made this possible.

I have the mTs a few feet up from the back wall, toed in slightly more than on axis, and I’m sitting at one point of a roughly 5 ft equilateral triangle.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
That's an interesting setup with the extreme toe-in, von. I have never tried that. My toe-in is considerably less than on-axis, but my triangle is roughly 5 feet between speakers and 8.5 feet to the listener.

Either way, I am very happy for you, and I couldn't agree more. I am still really loving the sound of these drivers in the mTs.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have limited placement options because I have my big COVID office desk (it’s a dining table) in the same room and normally have the speakers on either side against the wall when I’m working. That works well as I’ll still get a phantom center image even at such a weird angle (the top drivers really help this, I’m sure). It works well enough for background music, too. When I really want to listen to music I bring them out into the room and sit on the couch a little farther away.

I played with some different angles, and the toe-in-plus (the imaginary on-axis point is about a foot in front of my nose) sounds the best currently. Other angles made speaker localization stronger.