Michelson and Morley proved Einstein was wrong

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Back to Truth vs Reality: you know, I heard a story about one English senior lady who reported to the local phone station that her telephone used to ring right after her dog starts barking. Every time. Without exceptions. No phone call without barking!

Instead of calling mental clinic they sent a technician that discovered that old lady's telephone was connected to dog's chain instead of being properly grounded (they used 1-wire telephone system then).

She reported the truth, but who would believe?

Maybe she thought it was a ground hog :D

jd

This thread was started with a post aimed at 'disproving' Einstein, and even referenced a few experiments with some interesting 'interpretations'. I thought it was most interesting that one of the most elaborate and conclusive experiments performed in an effort to verify certain effects of Einstein's predictions hasn't been brought up yet: Gravity Probe B.

Gravity Probe B: Testing Einstein's Universe

I don't pretend to be an expert on physics, but after reviewing the GPB experiment and it's findings it should be fairly obvious what gravity IS and what aether ISN'T.

It depends how good (accurate) we want our explanation of physical reality to be. You've already admitted the current explanations don't cut it in various diverse areas. So I agree, many people are happy with a set of explanations which don't actually work in those areas, so obviously they don't need the aether. That you think the PP (Process Physics, Cahill's ontology) explanations are more complex ontologically just shows you really need to read the papers to correct your misunderstandings.
I have admitted our laws are not perfect. Does the aether theory make our laws perfect? Do they explain EVERYTHING that happens? More importantly, does it fill in all the gaps where our current theories are insufficient?

The holy grail of physics is a "theory of everything", which explains every aspect of our physical reality, from the movements of the planets right down to the smallest quarks and other subatomic particles. We are not there yet! Maybe one day we will, but I don't think the aether will play any part in it.

We know that Newton's laws are not 100% correct. Does that disprove them entirely? Of course not! Newtons laws work very well! We would not have been able to land on the moon to name something without those laws being valid.

Same goes for Einstein's work. They work pretty damn good. No need for the aether.

Cling to the idea? Who's doing the clinging here? The reason for employing the idea of aether in PP is because the explanations are thereby ontologically more parsimonious. But I've already said that.
You are the one who is clinging to an idea that has been scientifically disproven. I happen to "believe" (for lack of a better word) in a theory that has been proven over and over again.

I agree you have a problem in your understanding - so recheck your assumptions. You'll have made either an error in them or in your reasoning.
Well then expain how I'm wrong! I challenge you. I don't have to change my assumptions until they are proven to be wrong. Please, I'm serious!

Well this is science, so what you or I think is totally irrelevant. Opinions have no place in science. Now if you're able to show that having the aether makes things more complex, then go ahead, I'm interested.
No, you show how the ether simplifies things, YOU, as a supporter of an abandoned theory, should demonstrate why your theories are better than the now commonly accepted and rigourously verified theories, instead of the rigorously DISPROVEN theory about the aether.

And I have already explained how the aether complicates things with my example of the planet travelling with .8c relative to us. Do you have an answer to that? I'm interested.
You're mistaken in your claim that I think the aether simplifies things - I'm observing that it does (in the PP formulation of aether).
You're not observing anything, you're postulating, big difference.

Look, I will read up on the PP formulation of the aether, maybe there is something that I've overlooked here.
Maybe you could do some more research into the various ways scientist tried to measure the aether and how they failed each time.

Last edited:
SRT and GRT are both aether theories. Einstein believed the aether exists. Go back and read the first and second posts in this thread to understand why its a fallacy to say the aether doesn't exist. If the aether didn't exist then there is no reason to make the speed of light constant in SRT.

I read the first post, it doesn't make sense. Please stop making these claims without backing them up with something.

Are you claiming that the detector described in that paper doesn't work?

Yes, unless you widen your definition of "working". The background terrestrial vibration spectrum is well known and published G-wave detectors require millions of dollars in special housing to even hope to get out of the noise. Secondly his baseline instrument noise is flat to .00016Hz. It is highly unlikely that $1000 and the Edmond Scientific catalog will buy you a beyond the state of the art instrument. G-wave detectors have been built that can see the waves on the Pacific coast from Colorado.

The plot shown, for all I know, represents the noise of some detector with and without the output shorted

I have admitted our laws are not perfect. Does the aether theory make our laws perfect?

Aether theories in general? I have no idea. But PP looks to me to make a better stab than what we currently have.

Do they explain EVERYTHING that happens? More importantly, does it fill in all the gaps where our current theories are insufficient?

Not to my knowledge ALL the gaps. But that's not realistic at present. PP is fairly young, so there's time.

The holy grail of physics is a "theory of everything", which explains every aspect of our physical reality, from the movements of the planets right down to the smallest quarks and other subatomic particles. We are not there yet! Maybe one day we will, but I don't think the aether will play any part in it.

You're welcome to your opinion. Just don't be under any illusions that your opinion will influence me - it most certainly will not:D

Same goes for Einstein's work. They work pretty damn good. No need for the aether.

So you keep saying. Does repeating your opinion achieve anything useful do you think?

You are the one who is clinging to an idea that has been scientifically disproven.

Evidence, please, to back up this claim.

I happen to "believe" (for lack of a better word) in a theory that has been proven over and over again.

That just shows your grasp of the philosophy of science is incomplete at best.

Well then expain how I'm wrong! I challenge you. I don't have to change my assumptions until they are proven to be wrong. Please, I'm serious!

Set out your assumptions then and I'll have a go at showing (not proving) where you're mistaken.

No, you show how the ether simplifies things, YOU, as a supporter of an abandoned theory, should demonstrate why your theories are better than the now commonly accepted and rigourously verified theories, instead of the rigorously DISPROVEN theory about the aether.

I'm not as it happens a 'supporter of an abandoned theory' - I'm advocating PP (which can't be 'abandoned' as to my knowledge its never been adopted) as a better fit to the data we have than what we currently have. Remind me where the PP version of the aether has been 'disproven'? I'd like to take a look at the experimental data and procedures.

And I have already explained how the aether complicates things with my example of the planet travelling with .8c relative to us. Do you have an answer to that? I'm interested.

My answer to that was 're-check your assumptions and/or reasoning'.

Look, I will read up on the PP formulation of the aether, maybe there is something that I've overlooked here.

That would allow you to argue from at least having considered the theory, rather than from your present condition of ignorance. So yeah, its a step forward for sure.:D

Maybe you could do some more research into the various ways scientist tried to measure the aether and how they failed each time.

Persuade me that this will have some benefit then.

Thanks for the advice waki, appreciated that you took the time to chip in here. I just don't find it at all persuasive:D

Well, think on this. Every flaky argument that comes down the pipe, you're there on the flaky side. The art of science is in maintaining a healthy skepticism, particularly about your own ideas, not flat out taking a contrary position to every accepted precept.

The trouble with having a glib tongue for argument is that you can come to believe that argument is everything.

R.Feynmann said:
Nature does not care how smart you are.

I'm not calling you a flake, but what I am saying is that if you don't pack it in you will become indistinguishable from a flake.

w

Well, think on this. Every flaky argument that comes down the pipe, you're there on the flaky side.

Then why not help me out here? - if I'm making basic errors in logic and/or reasoning, just correcting them will put a stop to my 'flakiness'.

The art of science is in maintaining a healthy skepticism

Why would skepticism be any healthier than gullibility? Just set out the evidence and/or reasoning.

The trouble with having a glib tongue for argument is that you can come to believe that argument is everything.

I'll certainly bear that in mind and strive to avoid such a basic error as believing argument is everything. Ta for the tip:D

I'm not calling you a flake, but what I am saying is that if you don't pack it in you will become indistinguishable from a flake.

What was it I need to pack in in order not to be perceived as a flake? Arguing with people?

Aether theories in general? I have no idea. But PP looks to me to make a better stab than what we currently have.
Fine, that's where our opinions differ.
Not to my knowledge ALL the gaps. But that's not realistic at present. PP is fairly young, so there's time.
Fine, but then don't discount other theories like SRT because they have gaps.

So you keep saying. Does repeating your opinion achieve anything useful do you think?
Nah, but my opinions are based in fact.

Evidence, please, to back up this claim.
I already posted a list of experiments that were supposed to prove the existence of the aether. They all failed to do so.

That just shows your grasp of the philosophy of science is incomplete at best.
As is yours.

Set out your assumptions then and I'll have a go at showing (not proving) where you're mistaken.
I think I have done a pretty good job of setting out my assumptions. If you can explain to my why my example was wrong then please do.

My answer to that was 're-check your assumptions and/or reasoning'.
I'll need some help showing me where those are wrong.

That would allow you to argue from at least having considered the theory, rather than from your present condition of ignorance. So yeah, its a step forward for sure.:D
Hmmm.... Read below

Persuade me that this will have some benefit then.
The aforementioned present condition of ignorance and allowing to argue from at least having considered the evidence.

Fine, that's where our opinions differ.

Evidently your opinion on this matter (details of PP) is based on not having read the papers which explain it. That's really funny:D

Nah, but my opinions are based in fact.

Like the fact that you haven't read the PP papers. Just gets funnier:D:D

I think I have done a pretty good job of setting out my assumptions. If you can explain to my why my example was wrong then please do.

Naturally enough, I disagree with your opinion here which is why I asked for you to set them out.

<snipped out stuff I can't understand the relevance of, or just can't understand>

:bomb:
Evidently your opinion on this matter (details of PP) is based on not having read the papers which explain it. That's really funny:D

Like the fact that you haven't read the PP papers. Just gets funnier:D:D

Naturally enough, I disagree with your opinion here which is why I asked for you to set them out.

Ok fine looks like I dug myself a nice hole. :p

I'll get you yet. :bomb: I'll get back on this.

<snipped out stuff I can't understand the relevance of, or just can't understand>
Now now, that's not fair.

If Einstein was right then we would be able to reproduce nuclear fusion that is supposed to take place in the sun here on earth. We can't because the sun is not driven by fusion. If Einstein was right then we wouldn't have to invent things like dark matter and dark energy. Just check out 'The Electric Universe' by Wallace Thornhill, he explains that the universe is controlled by electricity, not gravity as Eistein theorised.
The HIFI site

If Einstein was right then we would be able to reproduce nuclear fusion that is supposed to take place in the sun here on earth. We can't because the sun is not driven by fusion. If Einstein was right then we wouldn't have to invent things like dark matter and dark energy. Just check out 'The Electric Universe' by Wallace Thornhill, he explains that the universe is controlled by electricity, not gravity as Eistein theorised.
The HIFI site

The Sun (or any other star) is not driven by fusion?
Then where do all the elements heavier than hydrogen come from?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.