Mezmerize DCB1 Building Thread

Board dimensions

If this information has already been posted, I apologize, but could someone please post the exact dimensions of this mesmerize board? I am putting together a small enclosure in frontpanel express. I plan on mounting it using standoffs so I need the distance between the four holes center. I measured it with a metric ruler and the best accuracy I got is 53.5mm X and 184mm Y, however I want to double check before I order the enclosure. Thanks very much.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
198 X 69 X 1.6mm

*All post #1 links still work at my end.
**Rely on your own hole to hole center measurements because the Mez has been produced in several batches and in different fab houses between the old ones from GBs and those in the store. Although the Gerber files are the same there can be tolerances possibly.

Looking at putting my transformer in another chassis so that it will have a fuse, switch and powercon connector connected to secondary wires. Then using standard power cable (cutting off the end connectors) to connect the preamp chassis again with powercon connectors. I saw in the beginning of this thread somebody was going to pass DC over but I'll just be passing AC. Anybody see any issues with this?

Thanks

Last edited:
Not really an issue. Its not taking advantage when having two boxes to ban any 60Hz AC field from the main enclosure a bit of a shame maybe. Still not having the Tx there is a plus.

Thanks Salas. My preamp chassis is small and if I was able to add it, I believe it will cause hum.

btw not sure if anybody has reported this but I have noticed that several of the holes in PCB are not open/clear. Looks like the drilling/hole process is not going right through. Forcing a used lead into the hole fixes it easily.

Last edited:
Finally got it all put together and have the following readings:

V+ -> 10.71
V- -> -10.12

Across dual 68ohms -> +2.12 & -2.03

Output Left -> .237 & right -> .226

Temps on 1st 9240 80F/27C and 2nd 9240 is 85F/30C
Temps on 1st 240 is 87F/34C and 2nd 240 is 82F/24C
Temps are without any sinks on them.

I am curious as to why the 2nd 9240 is hotter than the 1st.

............Temps on 1st 9240 80F/27C and 2nd 9240 is 85F/30C
Temps on 1st 240 is 87F/34C and 2nd 240 is 82F/24C
Temps are without any sinks on them.

I am curious as to why the 2nd 9240 is hotter than the 1st.
the power required to be dissipated determines the temperature rise.
I*V for each should show similar since all your temps are similar.

Last edited:
If M is for mV then its OK. What model DMM is it?

A very cheap Radioshack DMM that has very few scales. Waiting on a new DMM being delivered.

So from what I gather I should have textbook specs based on my readings:

2.12/68 + 2.12/68 = 31.1 + 31.1 = 62.2 mA
&
2.03/68 + 2.03/68 = 29.8 +29.8 = 59.6 mA

I have heatsinks for each mosfet rated at 7.8C/W. What calculation do I use to check how much my current setup is dissipating and also tell me how far I can go in lowering the 68r resistors without having to go to the next step of bolting mosfets to chassis? Be gentle..... :)

Last edited:
How do I connect the transformer secondaries to the PCB? Let's say I am using an Avel transformer with dual secondaries like pictured here:

Transformers and Power Converters From Avel Lindberg, Inc.

On the PCB, the transformer input are terminals 10, 20 (CT), and 30.

So BLACK goes to terminal 10 on PCB, Yellow goes to terminal 30, then I will tie RED and ORANGE together and connect them to terminal 20 on the PCB? Is this correct?

Thanks

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
How do I connect the transformer secondaries to the PCB? Let's say I am using an Avel transformer with dual secondaries like pictured here:

Transformers and Power Converters From Avel Lindberg, Inc.

On the PCB, the transformer input are terminals 10, 20 (CT), and 30.

So BLACK goes to terminal 10 on PCB, Yellow goes to terminal 30, then I will tie RED and ORANGE together and connect them to terminal 20 on the PCB? Is this correct?

Thanks

Since you are in the USA you should configure the primaries for 115V as in the link's top schematic.
For the secondaries as in the 2nd from top schematic. Red & orange will go to the center screw of the board connector. You described it correctly.