Mezmerize B1 Buffer Preamp

Unfortunately not. They have high IDSS and they will torture the LEDS. Plus they will become unreliable due to pushed self-dissipation for their small TO-92 package because this circuit runs them in full IDSS at high enough VDS. Also their VGS (OFF) will be high for a couple of key positions in the PSU. The higher the IDSS range the higher the pinch off voltage range in JFETS.

Whats the plan of attack for the LSK170. Is there anything else we can use or get them from elsewhere. I kind of feel duded buying the board and having little to no chance of completing it.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Spencer of FET Audio | Hi-End Audio Projects still advertises some. Alweit on ebay who was reported genuine from many users as well does not offer 2SK170 matched quads anymore, only one offer there now, matched quad 2SK170 from a German small shop (himmel_shop) with 100% good reports and economic. Also, legit looking on ebay is a 20x 2SK117GR offer from AudioWind (electronics-salon) that used to sell genuine 2SKs as far as I had sampled in the past. You could sort out the six strongest for IDSS out of the twenty for the PSU area. Those will be as good as low range 2SK170BL for that job but affordable. Their 2SK170BL x8 offer is very expensive. Those places I looked up for you guys should be the fastest available, relatively economic & well reported sources to check out until/if the store here will offer a JFET minikit with matched quad LSK170B and six non matched LSK170B. Store's former LSK170 stock in any IDSS category looks depleted right now anyway. I will drop a note to the administration as for a matched quads offer need to consider when they will be stocking up LSKs again.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK. Any suggestions of what may work well?

I don't know of something specific right of the cuff being tested for driving very well so long interconnects as yours. Look for various buffer designs in our forum. If you will see something you like ask in its thread if its good for your application. Or some ready made buffer module with BUF634 chips and the like from somewhere online.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Linear Systems told us at Burning Amp that they were revising their fabrication techniques and supply wouldn't be a problem in the future at all. However, we've been hearing that kind of talk for a long time. So, don't give up - hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel. When that does happen, we'll definitely offer a Mezmerize JFET kit.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You can do either. The ground line on the board is common for L&R anyway. Keeps the loop area between channels narrow. They got a common return to the shared supplies also and the whole thing is less susceptible to interference that way. Former technique you described is suitable for twisted simple wires latter is suitable for separate coax runs. But there is microphone coax also with two signal wires and a common screen.

Jason and Salas, Just wanted to drop you a note to say thanks for all the work you have put in to the "10 years after" board. The [Mezmerize "10 Years After" BOM and Notes (PDF)] was especially helpful especially after reading all the build threads of the several variants of the past years. I should have re-read the PDF before I started to try sourcing components (DUH). I received my board yesterday and have to say it looks very intuitive. Anyway I think I have sourced almost all of the components and once they arrive look forward to the build. Thanks again

himmel_shop in Germany as previously mentioned on ebay supplied me with a quad of 2SK170BL said to be Toshiba which were claimed matched to 1%. They are marked k170BL1I (I think). I don't know what this means but the packet says they are 7.43mA.
I have just tested them as suggested they are 3x 7.43 and 1x 7.50 so that sounds good.
I don't need to use them because I sorted my original set out.
I am just posting for information - does anyone have an opinion on these?
Ralph

my macro photography skills are challenged - lets see if this attachment works

Attachments

• IMG_1846[2].jpg
    IMG_1846[2].jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 389