• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Metal film resistors or carbon film in a tube amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The nice thing about using a vacuum enclosure is that you can shatter the envelopes of the tubes and modify the innards with nonmagnetic materials. You do need to use something more airtight than acrylic, though, and that diffusion pump can put out a lot of heat. I keep the rough pump in a subenclosure outside.

Peter,
Threatening members with sinbinning because they disagree with other members opinion is very lame. Some of my posts are tongue-in-cheek attempts at humor, and if others don't have a sense of humor, I feel sorry for them. If they don't find me funny, that's fine - but should I be banned for that?

And as far as my posts in other threads, they are not negative, and are often helpful and informative. Please go read them before you make a judgment.

Joel,

It is not my intention to make judgement and pass opinions. I'm only acting on members suggestions. Before I became moderator, I said that I will never put anybody in a SinBin and I wouldn't like to do it in this case either.

Yet, if I will receive more complains and request for that kind of action I will be left without any choice.

By now, everybody knows already what is your opinion on certain issues and you don't have to remind us about it in every other post. Let's keep this place nice and friendly. It's not that hard, isn't it? :).

Lack of humour

Well I protest at the humour in all other threads.
Please can they be stopped too:rolleyes:

My word! If doubting a concept or point of view is negative, we might as well shut down the forum.

This particular thread had run it's course as far as the original question was concerned. If people don't like a little lightheartedness, they needn't read it.:cool:

Peter, do you remember when you and Dice45 warned me not to carry on mentioning cathode followers because they're rubbish?
Deja vu

Frank,

There is a point that YOU particularly have to admit:
When we "argue" a point, we all do it in our own manner and language.
For me it's "Logical-cynical" (others may well have a different opinion ;)
For Joel it's "NY loud"
For you it's "Experience says, abrasive"

We all have to accept that people argue in different ways.
As long as those are within the boundarys set up by the forum rules, we must accept them. It's not reasonable to complain to a moderator if you disagree with a point.
We don't have to get involved in threads if we don't want to.

Some good points have been made by members of varying persuasions in this thread. There has been some humour too - at the expense of mainly one side - that would appear to be the problem:xeye:

Peter Daniel said:
Yet, if I will receive more complains and request for that kind of action I will be left without any choice.

This is scary... so, if I send you enough emails about someone else, then you will ban them? How nice! I'm glad to see this is how the forum really works.:(
Can I send you emails about Fred Deickman calling me clueless? and how about Brett calling me technically illiterate, and an idiot? It's funny that I don't see you publicly reprimanding them... or maybe that's because you happen to agree with them on this and other issues, and not with me?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

dhaen said:
It's not reasonable to complain to a moderator if you disagree with a point.
We don't have to get involved in threads if we don't want to.

The complaints were not about disagreeing with a point, but about the attitude and this is not exactly the same. Also, maybe more members would like to get involved in a particular thread, yet that sort of attitude drives them away, and this is no good either.

Joel said:

if I send you enough emails about someone else, then you will ban them? How nice! I'm glad to see this is how the forum really works.:(

Prefferably this would have to be e-mails not from the same person.

Joel said:

Can I send you emails about Fred Deickman calling me clueless? and how about Brett calling me technically illiterate, and an idiot? It's funny that I don't see you publicly reprimanding them... or maybe that's because you happen to agree with them on this and other issues, and not with me?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm not reprimanding them, because I believe they have a reason to say that. What is the reason for acting your way?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SOME EXPLANATION

Hi John,

It's not reasonable to complain to a moderator if you disagree with a point.

Unless I suffer from severe memory loss I can't recall reporting anything to any moderator either regarding yourself nor Joel.

In fact I thought I did you and indirectly Joel a favour by pointing out that when Peter moderated it was my understanding that it was not for the bit of humorous posts.
Rather it was Joels' ongoing insistance that he doesn't hear any difference in passive components.

Which BTW I really don't mind as long as everyones' opinion is respected.

Also,IMO opinion you confuse abrasiveness with assertiveness.

Cheers,;)

Peter said:
It may have been Dice but not me, because I know nothing about tubes.
But you previously said on:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7692&highlight=cathode+follower :
You should rather keep it to yourself, because from what I noticed most of the more experience members of the forum can hear the difference.
That's what I was refering to Peter.
It was not that you boasted superior knowledge, but that you were acting on the behalf of the knowledge of others. Hence deja vu...

Sorry guys,

I'm not alleging that any one of you reported it. But it's plain that someone (or 2) did, because Peter said so.

Frank, I was actually behaving conspiritorially towards you, but the wording was not good. What I meant to say was that we all have our idiosyncracies, and have to live with them, and together. No critisism was intended.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.