• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Metal film resistors or carbon film in a tube amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Christer said:
I can't quite figure out who buys all those carbon
film resistors, though.

A friend of mine was very specific about using those carbon film resistors in his amp. He just came back from Hong Kong and said people are going nuts about using them there, together with Jensen caps.

Attachments

• rik.jpg
    rik.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 497
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
IF YOU GET THE CHANCE...

Hi Peter,

Hope you get a chance to listen to this gear before your friend picks it up.
And report to us?
These Rs you showed are RIKEN carbon films aren'they?

Love to get a bit of feedback (no pun intented) close to home before buying.

Cheers,;)

RE: blackgates
He says "they must be kept charged all the time. They are not electrolytics. They take a full 24 hours to recharge when discharged."

Why? What is he talking about? :confused: :confused: :confused: I actually have a black gate 100 uF cap in a project right now, and I can assure you I have full voltage across it in seconds, and no hum. - ie. it acts like a capacitor.
"Please use Allen-Bradley resistors in the plate circuits..."
Yes, the absolutely acknowledged WORST place to put a carbon comp resistor! People, if you must use these horrible things, DO NOT put them in the plate circuit. Unless you like noise and temp drift that is.
This guy is another voodoo moron.

Why would we bother at with what that guy says in the article?
The paragraph about the Black Gates is just a mess of
contradictory nonsense the he loses all credibility already there.
If he were right, I would not ever want a Black Gate in my
equipment, since it would be extremely sensitive to microphony.
However, he clearly doesn't have a clue what he is talking about
technically, so we shouldn't judge the Black Gates by what this
guy writes.

Figure 1 which indicates distortion characteristics._ However, in the case of Black Gate, the distortion showed such a surprising low value (-174db) as if no electrons flew.

I love BG more and more. Distortion analyzer with less the 0.000000019953% distortion (is there enough of zeores?). Who does really believe these "facts"?

As I said elsewhere, I don't believe that BG are bad but do they have really these amazing properties. Does any (public) measurements exist at all?
With respect to frequency characteristics, 10GHz have been achieved which are 100,000 times as high as that of conventional capacitors.

Yes!
The tunnel effect has happened in the separator that is an unexpected great change
Is this a new sort of tunnel effect? Nobel prize next?

Frank, you're satisfied with anecdotal reports? Wow. If I were you, I'd investigate investment in the Free Energy devices of Dennis Lee. Lots of anecdotal testimony that these things Really Work.

One of my favorite quotes comes from Penn and Teller. It said, roughly, "When a major breakthrough is made in our understanding of the Universe and the meaning of life, it probably won't be announced on a late night talk show by a washed-up dancer." I'd add, "nor will it be announced by someone selling hi fi gadgets." Stick with perpetual motion- there's a bigger payoff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.