mechanical resonance in MMs

Joined 2014
Paid Member
These Ortofon 315Hz tracking specs are at the "recommended" VTFs. 2.3g for the Winfield Ti, but 4.0g for the S-120. Not a fair comparison.

And the S-120 can be used up to 10.0g VTF. Yikes!

Well, I would be interested in the numbers for S-120 at 2.3g and LD might even have them, but I don't see why trackability at manufacturer recomended tracking force is a cheat. If that is the case the V15V is the best tracking cartridge eva!

But apples to apples the Pro which is same bonded tip is 70um at 4g. so 70% improvement for the S-120.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Sticking to the groove and low record wear are what the DJs want, especially with the digital control LPs. The Shure M-44 is the workhorse there.

It is interesting that amongst the scratch camp there are the M-44 gang and the ortofon gang who go out looking for fights with each other on the internet. I think I have an M-44 body in my set, but not sure if I'll ever get around to using it.

It seems the real archivists use stanton?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Well damn my being inquisitive. Although I have a lifetime supply of cartridges to experiment with I couldn't help having another scan of Shures. And came across the SC35. In particular the original 'white label' stylus which the rumour mill suggests was influenced by BBC requirements for their broadcast SP-10s. Either way its a fascinating spec as has a nude spherical and a compliance of 5! And apparantly will fit a number of shure bodies including the V15III which has the useful laminated generator. Could be an interesting test and NoS stylii are around £40 IF you can find one.

Sigh, so little time, so many experiments.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, the SC35 gets a lot of love for so humble a cart. I think it might go well in my old Clairtone console with the heavy wooden tone arm.

As for Stanton, I got one for my Rek-O-Kut TT and wooden Grado arm because so much of what I own is 1950-60 LPS. The Stanton was the default for checking pressings at the time. Works OK, channel balance is a little off.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I have to say this combo looks the biz. Memsahib does NOT agree :)

Right need to look again at those FR plots George did.

Attachments

• SP10withSC35.jpg
    SP10withSC35.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 153
Well, I would be interested in the numbers for S-120 at 2.3g and LD might even have them, but I don't see why trackability at manufacturer recomended tracking force is a cheat. If that is the case the V15V is the best tracking cartridge eva!

But apples to apples the Pro which is same bonded tip is 70um at 4g. so 70% improvement for the S-120.
Yes, in the past I tested the S-120 and at 2.5g it tracked everything on the TTR-102 test record IIRC - hope that's the correct reference, it's the Shure one where a scope is required and there are various insane hf chirps amongst all manner of other tests.

I use it for day-day listening at 3g. There's no point in going higher, I figure.

And yes, it works at 10g without apparent burn, but there's no advantage and I wasn't going to risk a test record to find out..............

LD

Joined 2014
Paid Member
TTR-102 bands
Sine wave signals were recorded at 1kHz and at 10 kHz with a 5cm/second peak velocity. A sine wave sweep was also recorded with a 5cm/second peak velocity. There were three sine wave tests bands for the left channel, and three for the right channel. There were also seven bands of an intermodulated signal: a 400 Hz tone combined with a 4,000 Hz tone that was 12 dB down in level. The peak velocity changed for each band: 27.1cm/second; 22.6cm/second; 17.9cm/second; 14.3cm/second; 11.3cm/second; 8.7cm/second; 6.9cm/second.

Seeing old turntable decks. I am wondering which vintage turntable had a very well made motor. I have collected some Garrard Synchrolab, A Garrard changer Motor, A Sansui Direct drive motor. I also had a Philips simple motor like this. Strangely when touched Garrard Lab motors had significant vibration but Philips was very quiet. All Motors were clean/lubricated .
Also would like to sneak in another question What RPM are these garrard motors ? Example 1. another is exactly similar but with steel shield plates.
Thanks.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
George: It's a technics SP-10 with BBC MP1/18 and Shure SC35. I know that they specified this for local radio and Radio 1 (pop station). I guess the EMTs were for classical but not sure.

What is interesting reading the MP1/18 spec is that it was designed to work with the SC35 to give a 14Hz LF resonance. See they read the B&K papers and acted on them :)

LD: Blimey, pulsed 10.8kHz 30cm/s modulation. Not suprised it was getting a little annoyed with you being asked to track that.

Last edited: