MDF vs Birch Plywood for 3 way tower

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I have some leads on Birch Ply may use a lower grade ply for bracing of a different hardwood species to make the bracing more effective as Charles pointed out - practices of Kef B&W ect... and not soft as Planet 10 suggest then use something like bitumen impregnated felt for damping the walls to deal with standing waves. Wow guess this whole cab material thing can get a little controversial. Well getting great ideas from all of you and a little entertainment factor as well so thanks .

So I have some leads on Birch Ply may use a lower grade ply for bracing of a different hardwood species to make the bracing more effective as Charles pointed out - practices of Kef B&W ect... and not soft as Planet 10 suggest then use something like bitumen impregnated felt for damping the walls to deal with standing waves. Wow guess this whole cab material thing can get a little controversial. Well getting great ideas from all of you and a little entertainment factor as well so thanks .
Now its time to actualy listen to music:)

"Energy from the speaker driver is stored in the MDF and it slowly oozes out in a time smeared manner obscuring any low level detail."

Fascinating. In what form is the energy stored and by what mechanism does it "ooze" out of the homogenous, fibrous material?

Not quite uniform....
It's a pair of harder surfaces containing a spongy, interior that has no strength.

Gavin - speaking specifically of the Murphy brand of plywoods, the one you want to look for is the "Multi-ply" - which our particular distributor stocks with maple face veneer over the birch platform core. There are also numerous brands and distributors of "Euro" sourced ply that can be had with either raw (shop grade) birch faces, or at a higher price and in minimum quantities, pressed with almost any standard veneer you might want. If your plans are to cover with veneer, plastic laminate, trunk liner carpet - or with countless more hours than the enclosure fabrication probably took, paint - the shop grade face veneers are fine. Note that raw birch or even maple veneer faces can take a clear coat top finish very nicely, but can get splotchy if staining directly.

As Jerms noted, once you've penetrated the heat tempered face of standard MDF panels (which can hold a beveled edge sharp enough to do serious damage to your flesh :eek:), the core is soft enough to scratch with a thumb nail. On the other hand, BB ply is softer on the face.

I live in a city and sourcing quality Russian birch pine is a pain in the ***.
The one stockist who use to have goods quality ply has gone bust. The only other one who has decent stuff including hardwood faced, you need to buy a minimum of 10 sheets and @ £46 per 8' x 4' 1/2" + VAT that's way to much for me. I've had two sample boards from two timber suppliers and i didn't even need to rip them to see the voids and delamination. And I specifically asked for good one side furniture grade. The search goes on.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Farmwood-Products
:D

If you have access to HDF, also called Medite, which is a heavier version of MDF, that would be a good choice. REAL Baltic birch is also an excellent cabinet material. But beware. There is some Chinese made plywood that looks a lot like BB but it's inferior to the real stuff. It splinters easily, has some voids, and it warps when you cut the sheet. If real BB is not available, cabinet grade plywood will work. Don't use regular plywood from the big box stores. That is inferior material for loudspeaker cabinets.

Hi, So after having some good luck upgrading crossovers on existing speakers over the years I am looking to do my first complete build from the ground up and have questions about cabinet materials. The speakers will be a 3way with the following. Scan-speak 18W/8531G as the driver ATC 150 Mid-range and a Scan-speak D3004 soft dome in a ported 1 cu ft tower rectangle enclosure with 4 horizontal shelf braces and two vertical kinda like a bowers nautilus bracing system. I am planning on using glue and cabinet biscuits for the construction.I was first considering using 3/4 birch but was told 3/4 mdf would yield less coloration and resonance effects. I am wondering on other opinions on this and am curios if MDF is the way to go than are there differences in quality or is the stuff my local Home Depot sells fine? Just trying to get started in the right direction. Thanks in advance for you input, Gavin
I'ld go with the birch however the MDF would sound better. Some time ago I had access to a finite element analysis computer program that analyzed vibration characteristics of various cabinet alternatives. One and 1/2 inch material worked much better than 3/4 so either build it with 2 layers or use a lot of bracing. Bass frequencies are more critical. Electronic crossovers are great but also expensive.

MDF bracing because it is always a good idea to use a different material than for the box. Everywhere ply and MDF meet you have a lossy impedance mismatch and as planet10 points out MDF in itself is a 'lossy' (soft) material making it an ideal and cheap candidate. Using a different material for the bracing makes the bracing more effective as Tannoy, B&W and KEF have found out nearly 30 years ago. Basically you are adding a form of damping to the bracing effect which you wouldn't get if you were to use the same material for box and bracing.
I don't understand WHY using different material for the bracing makes any difference. Explain further, please.

So here is a thought not even sure if I have the right idea here but would using a bracing hardwood ply of a different wood with lower resonance (less cycles per second) have a deceleration effect on the cabinet walls lowing and help prevent exiting the overall vibration of the cabinet ?

The other side to the coin is, would either material make any difference to the sound quality of a £10 full-range 3" driver in a 2.5 ltr sealed case ?
only the case has to be stated for cost v returns.
I'm aiming at DIY Audio Budget speakers, I'm attempting to make some desktop or surround sound satellites for about £40 a pair.
So at what price bracket do you say the cost of BB ply compared to MDF or off the shelf Ply gives a significant return to the audio quality?

The other side to the coin is, would either material make any difference to the sound quality of a £10 full-range 3" driver in a 2.5 ltr sealed case ?
only the case has to be stated for cost v returns.
I'm aiming at DIY Audio Budget speakers, I'm attempting to make some desktop or surround sound satellites for about £40 a pair.
So at what price bracket do you say the cost of BB ply compared to MDF or off the shelf Ply gives a significant return to the audio quality?
And then with budget will the difference if a ply at that level - will you here the difference with typical electronics sound card A/V receiver ect... used
So from a design stand point how valuable is the payoff or is looking at clever damping techniques so forth ans so on a better investment of time and cost. Interesting

I don't understand WHY using different material for the bracing makes any difference. Explain further, please.

Ummm....

Bracing vs no bracing is easy to figure out... :)

Bracing with different materials....

2c 2p whatever...

Materials have different "attractions" for sound frequencies. By sticking two diverse materials together it may be possible to avoid propagating certain frequency bands across a cabinet. Alternatively, combining the wrong materials in the wrong lengths, thicknesses etc may make matters worse.

For the DIYer; if differing materials are explicitly specified in plans, then it's better to follow them.

Likewise, if you have the kit and experience to accurately model, measure and refine differences in material selection, then, great.

J.

Finite Element Analysis

I know little about FEA. My boss (in 1991) analyzed the vibration of small hard disk drive parts using FEA. I was working on a software program to analyze the life of mechanical parts using the Weibull statistical distribution. We put the design of my proposed speaker cabinet along with the material specs - plywood, particleboard, and MDF. We varied the thickness of the material, along with varied bracing. By varying the input frequency, we could actually see an exaggerated view of the sides of the cabinet moving. We could not see how this really affected the sound.

The results: MDF was the best , 1 1/2 inch looked much better than 3/4 inch which surprised me. Bracing helped but not as much as the thicker material. Solid bracing (same width and length of cabinet with large holes in it) worked much better than just a board across.

However, there is a practical matter. MDF is not light and using thick MDF or 2 layers makes it twice as heavy. But my conclusion is that heavy cabinets sound better. How much better is a matter of opinion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.