MDF vs Birch Plywood for 3 way tower

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Before MDF came along the budget choice was flooring grade chipboard.
Real rough edges and a saw blade sharpness killer, good stuff though.

rgds, sreten.
About 1976, I built identical cabinets from Medite (a fairly newfangled material), and 700kg/m3 flooring grade chipboard. That used to be 5 distinct layers, fine/coarse/fine/coarse/fine. The chipboard cabinets sounded better to my ears. But MDF is great for manufacturers; they can plan cutter replacement pretty accurately, and the edges cut cleanly.
And around the same time I used birch ply for various things; Russian was coarser, lighter and more attractive than Finnish, which was heavier, slightly oily (harder to glue), and smoother, but not as attractive.
I kept the Russian for decorative use (shopfitting) and the Finnish for speakers. And skateboards! So when people now talk about Baltic and Russian birch ply as though they are one and the same, have they changed? Chinese birch ply was unheard of in those far off days.

That used to be 5 distinct layers, fine/coarse/fine/coarse/fine.

Hi,

I'd say it was fine/coarse/loose/coarse/fine. There is
no good reason at all for the centre to be fine, and
they simply would not manufacture such a product.

I've never seen chipboard with the structure you describe.
Everything I've ever seen is coarsest in the centre and gets
progressively finer towards the surface, engineering sense.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'd say it was fine/coarse/loose/coarse/fine. There is
no good reason at all for the centre to be fine, and
they simply would not manufacture such a product.

I've never seen chipboard with the structure you describe.
Everything I've ever seen is coarsest in the centre and gets
progressively finer towards the surface, engineering sense.

rgds, sreten.
Perhaps you are correct, but that is not my recollection. The important aspect is that there were 5 distinct layers, which would tend to reduce self resonance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.