Maybe all subs do sound the same....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All food tastes the same (if you have a zinc deficiency), all women kiss the same (if you're a eunuch), VHS and Beta look the same (to Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder), and all amplifiers sound the same (to the deaf old men at Stereo Review).

WHO?

Tell the deaf/dumb/blind kid to go play pinball.

To all the Magic Pebbles, zillion dollar power cord people.....the Earth is not flat & I'm going sailing into the new frontier......you may have heard of this place. It's called "The Scientific Method"....it has all sorts of remarkable things, like the double blind tests, machines that measure.....Oh sorry, I guess your cranium hasn't grown enough yet.

_____________________________________________________Rick.........

Golden Ear Audiophile hit with a brick "Oww, that
hurts! I'm bleeding!"

Tin Ear Meter Reader hit with a brick "You can't prove
I was hit with a brick! We need to do a double blind
ABX test!"

There is a time and place for measurements, and a time and place for listening.

In an amplifier an active CCS can measure to be 20dB better than a passive CCS (resistor), but how many have stopped to really listen and compare?

Tin Ear Meter Reader hit with a brick "I was hit with a brick & I can prove it, I have microscopic particles of brick material in the wound, I have a microscope, an INSTRUMENT. I have examined the wound and have MEASURED the size & shape to match this brick. I have tested the brick in question and thru SCIENCE have determined via DNA samples who it was that hit me with said brick".

Nothing personal-----------------------------------------Rick..........

Last edited:
If I am reading a car review, you can't get away with not giving performance numbers, cornering G's, MPGs, weights and measures--then giving your opinion. I read a "test" of the Bose 901 and the "reviewer" did not post any measurements, only in audio can you do something so obviously bogus.

Measurements and blind ABX testing, after all these years the only thing to cut out the 99% of utter BS that is audio. People ask me all the time what speakers to buy for a home theater. I just tell them to look for the THX logo since it follows some form of standard then pay what they are comfortable with. Make sure the electronics can push 2 subs to allow adjustments in the future if/when required. My last tip is to not buy any speaker cables, interconnects...I have a box of them so the system can be set up. Only buy cables AFTER everything is connected/wired up so you know what sizes are needed.

Good advice for those who do not not care to pay for high fidelity performance. That is the majority of the population so THX provides a valid service. For those of us who can hear, know what to listen for, and do care, specs are just as meaningless as the esoteric press or ABX testing. For than matter, specs on cars are just as useless, as the personality and feel of every design is different and there are no tests that capture that. Very much like audio now isn't it? If you want to know, I am one of those who knows how to tune a car, and that adjustments of a quarter degree in alignment of half a pound of air can change a car's personality. You will not see that show up in MPG, 0-60, or even lap times.

I bet we agree, fancy cables are a lot like nitrogen in tires. Nothing more than a way to move money from one pocket to another but at least usually does no harm.

I bet we agree, fancy cables are a lot like nitrogen in tires.

My friend explained in length that the nitrogen in his tires gives him better gas mileage. I asked if that was because it made his car lighter. He didn't get the joke so went on to say that because the nitrogen molecules are larger, they leak out slower and as everyone knows, a properly inflated tire improves mileage.
I took the opportunity to tell him that I carry a tire gauge and have to add air to my tires about every 3 years.

"So how much did the tires cost to fill?"

"It was on sale for 5 bucks a tire, down from 10".

"So I guess no one was buying at 10 bucks, bit of a mystery huh?"

I had to end it there before he got mad.

Nitrogen in tires. Sheesh, the next thing you're going to tell me is they are selling pure copper speaker cables for a premium.

I love the old saying, "selling a freezer to an eskimo".
Technology does not make us smarter or healthier. Technology is a tool. It is only as good as the people designing and using it. I sold cell phones for many years. Which is why I have never owned one. :D I still don't. Sure, I'll use one. Eventually I will have to get one when all forms of communication come down to digital wireless communication (we are almost there). I always eventually end up helping people figure thier phones out and setting them up. (I can read manuals, thanks). What am I going to text/talk to people about with such immediacy? Sure, they help to get info FASTER... But is the info better? Look at the problem with people doing stupid shiz and getting into car accidents due to texting... So, saying "wtf" and "lol" is so important? And for every phone that has a camera that tapes a major change in human culture, there are 10 million filming people falling off things, farting, vomiting and just being ridiculously stupid :D (segway) Movie special effects are getting better and better, but are the plots getting any better? We have lots of crazy medical technology, but is the health care system easy for all to access? Are we better for this technology? Lately I have been reading the "where have we gone on the last 100 years" speaker thread, and it seems to reflect the way I feel about life in general in this post modern US life... We are bombarded with so much flipping technical data that sometimes, you get lost in the mess. You still have to follow your heart and your ears. I think they both connect to the brain which is a wondrous thing which conjures ideas and images in our head that were never there or real in the first place. Go ahead and say whatever you want. Go ahead and prove whatever. We all have the right to accept or deny said "realities". :D

Is that a polite way of saying stupid? :D

Definition of STUPID:
1:
a: slow of mind : obtuse
b: given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner
c: lacking intelligence or reason : brutish
2: dulled in feeling or sensation : torpid <still stupid from the sedative>
3: marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting : senseless <a stupid decision>

apparently it is... :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.