Maybe all subs do sound the same....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Different gasses in a sealed enclosure???? Do I see some experiments on the horizon?? How about mechanically pressurizing a "sealed" enclosure......It would change Qtc.....???? You would have to have a steady flow....????
I think you' all might be onto something here...!!

______________________________________________________Rick......

Different gasses in a sealed enclosure???? Do I see some experiments on the horizon?? How about mechanically pressurizing a "sealed" enclosure......It would change Qtc.....???? You would have to have a steady flow....????
I think you' all might be onto something here...!!

______________________________________________________Rick......

You'd have to change the pressure or gasses inside the box as well as outside the box to change the Q while maintaining coil alignments. Probably not a good idea. ie. Fill a room with helium and see how long you live.

That is more Hawaii... :D Think Dog the bounty hunter :D I think surfers here might say it.
Many people in my area and east of LA say "meng" or "mang" (man). :D Or end (and often begin AND end most sentences) with "fool". I also speak a lot of spanish and REFUSE to use the word "guey" *way* even though many guys do. Who is more fooled? The bro, the dude, or that homie following the guey?
It's not a soap box, Cal. It's a plastic Mission brand Tortillas container :D
I have no technical data to add to this discussion.
*edit*
Hey, who's getting technical! Stop it!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What if we filled sealed speaker enclosures with various gasses to change the Q as needed? Just install a gas nozzle that allows you to fiddle. All speaker boxes can be the same size :D

Dayton-Wright was doing that in the 70s & 80s. With a much denser gas he could get away with a smaller box (and in the ESL reduced the potential for arcing). A bit of a pain when it leaked out thou -- a particular issue with his later dynamic driver boxes (i can't remember the name of that company).

dave

Edit: SY beat me too it.

What if we filled sealed speaker enclosures with various gasses to change the Q as needed? Just install a gas nozzle that allows you to fiddle. All speaker boxes can be the same size :D

Dayton-Wright ESLs are filled with a heavy gas, as posts above mention. Part of effect is "megaphone" since the barrier film is larger than the driver film. Gets the system resonance down too.

Mine have been running just fine for about 30 years, with some bleeding and restoring of air from time to time.

Ben

Last edited:
Are we all "Golden Ears" here? Everybody cherishing the "unique" loveliness of their favourite speaker?

Why isn't anybody starting with this obvious truth: what we want is speakers that DO sound the same and when they don't something is wrong. Just like with the electronics, eh.

Given the challenges of having the source of sound at one point(s) in a room and the receivers (our ears) at one pair of points, hard to picture our present kind of speaker boxes ever leading to that kind of similarity between speakers in rooms. Maybe in anechoic chambers. Maybe a wall of ESLs (one of my construction fantasies) would rise above the room acoustics issue.

Ben

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.