May I have some help regarding..Electrical safety,Star Grounding and Suggested Layout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Would it be OK to mount thermistors like this?

SG27.jpg

Just after the mains switch in line with 'Live' wire.

I intend trim the legs and securely mount the terminal block to the chassis.

Thanks

Richard

Hi,
if you keep the two terminals side by side (not split), you can insert the Thermistor without bending any legs.

Insulate the chassis under the terminals and thermistor.
Double insulate the live and neutral wires inside the chassis.
All these components are at Live potential. Protect them from wayward fingers and dropped tools.

I am not at all sure that parallel NTC thermistors will work.
The one that has slightly lower resistance will pass more current. This will heat it and drop the resistance even more, passing a bigger proportion of the total current draw. Then around that circle again. Effectively one device is doing all the work and dissipating most of the heat and thus setting your thermistor current limit.
Your pic shows quite small Power Thermistors. One of these may not suit soft starting a transformer.
You could series connect the two Thermistors using a 3way terminal strip with Live in and out through the outer terminals.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.