May I have some help regarding..Electrical safety,Star Grounding and Suggested Layout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tiredness got the better of me tonight!

Earlier this evening I connected the the umbilicals and applied power. With everything measuring as it should I decided to connect the Chipamp PCBs to the power supply. This time the light bulb tester lit up and for some crazy reason I decided push the bypass switch!!! This resulted in a loud crack.

I then noticed I had connected both V+ and PG+ to the power supply V+

Fault.jpg

The green terminal block in the middle is Ground

I have just measured the V+ output from the power supply and I don't get and reading, but I do get a reading of 27v across the Zener and 35.4v from various points on the strip board if I connect the DMM probe to another ground location.

The V- output is 35.4v from the green terminal block

Where would you recommend I start fault finding (tomorrow that is!)?

What an idiot!!! :bawling:

Hi Richard,
If the reg board input is the same as the output, then there is no volt-drop across the BD911.
If a preceding transistor is faulty, there should still be a volt-drop across BD911, (approx. 1.7V).

Two other concerns, you may need to beef up your tracks and what fuse are you using at the mains input?

Barry.

audio1st said:
Hi Richard,
If the reg board input is the same as the output, then there is no volt-drop across the BD911.
If a preceding transistor is faulty, there should still be a volt-drop across BD911, (approx. 1.7V).

Two other concerns, you may need to beef up your tracks and what fuse are you using at the mains input?

Barry.

Star.jpg

You were absolutely right....Thanks!

I changed the BD139 and it didn't make any difference, as soon I changed the BD912 and BD911 the output returned to 27v

Talking of Stars...do I connect the Chipamp PG- and PG+ to the correct ground points on the Reg PS and then run the solid copper wires from the Reg PS ground output to the star ground point?

Richard :)

Tripmaster said:

Talking of Stars...do I connect the Chipamp PG- and PG+ to the correct ground points on the Reg PS and then run the solid copper wires from the Reg PS ground output to the star ground point?

Richard :)

Hi Richard,
PG- and PG+ connect to the correct grounds on the Regs board.
PG- and PG+ are joined on the amp board so this is the the star point.
CNG connects to the chassis ground but may need a network to avoid hum...

Barry.

AndrewT said:
70mV is very high.
What is the voltage across the Zin resistor?

The board doesn't have a Zobel at the moment and feedback resistor is soldered to the 'Standard position' as per the Chipamp instruction manual, there is also no feedback capacitor.

I thought I would add the components in stages as some have reported slightly better sound without.

70mV is high but I think I am right in thinking its not enough to damage the speakers.

Would you use a Zobel, and if so can you match the resistor value to the connected speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.