• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Mauro Penasa's INV GC/REF GC group buy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jimbo1968 said:
I'm tempted, but the parts list means very little to me.

If someone said "You can get every component from xyz and it will cost about xxx dollars" then it would be an easy decision. A US source (online) is just as good as UK for me, better in fact as it will be cheaper.

Parts cost is largely up to you, and dependant on what you already have or can scrounge.

Depending on what quality components you buy you should be able to get the electronic components for less than $100, but I have not thouroughly sourced parts yet.

I will be checking into that though. Also, Brian Donegan is looking into the cost of parts kits.

mouser and digikey should have everything you need. Also some lower cost places like futurlec will have some of the parts.

So, I have started building a parts list, so far from DigiKey and Mouser.

Slim pickings for boxed caps in the US, it appears. I think I can get them all, but they will end up being from a few different manufacturers. Mouser has started carrying Wima, but not much of a selection yet. Roght now I have (from memory) 1 Wima, 1 or 2 BC's, and 1 or 2 Epox.

An alternative would be some Panasonic film caps (not boxed) with the same pin spacings. Anybody have a problem with that, or should I just go with those. They are the same types used in the standard Leach amp, if that helps anyone decide.

Also, for the low-ESR EL's, I was thinking about the Panasonic FM types. They have a 40% lower impedance than the FC series, and better specs all around, but are for some reason cheaper (?).

Russ White said:
Depending on what quality components you buy you should be able to get the electronic components for less than $100, but I have not thouroughly sourced parts yet.

I will be checking into that though. Also, Brian Donegan is looking into the cost of parts kits.

As it appears to be a non-trivial task for Brian, it's a good job I didn't assume I could do it myself.

I'll probably put myself down for a board once the order page appears, as long as there's a kit or kit list.

I need to re-read the thread to work out why I would want to build this. Presumably it's for the joy of experimenting, and so I can compare the result to my (soon to be built) standard lm3886 chipamp.

quote:
Originally posted by Russ White

As it appears to be a non-trivial task for Brian, it's a good job I didn't assume I could do it myself.

I'll probably put myself down for a board once the order page appears, as long as there's a kit or kit list.

I need to re-read the thread to work out why I would want to build this. Presumably it's for the joy of experimenting, and so I can compare the result to my (soon to be built) standard lm3886 chipamp.

Hi Guys,

What I mean as the parts kit is the optimum (or maybe a good start) parts for the kit.

I know that maybe I can get any resistors/caps in my country. But whether it will be good for the system or not that is a question.

My other reason is, if we start with very-very different parts, how can we tell that we are listening to the same kind of sound from the amp. And that would be the real question.

I learn hard about this while trying to tweak Brian GT's LM3875 chip amp kit (basic). I changed the parts with some cheaper and even some more expensive parts. Everytime I did that, the sound changed a lot! So I learn that on some part of the circuit, $1 Kiwame resistor can sound worse (a lot worse) that 10cents Panasonic resistor. At the end, I put back all the original parts. The are the optimum parts for it; GC magical midrange has been delivered with just of them. And I will be very careful now on swapping parts, especially trying to away from boutique parts.

And, as I mention previously... I cannot just get Panasonic caps or resistors, or even phoenix metal films one in my country... the available part is always on extreme: 1 cent resistor or $1.5 Rikken, and other case is almost always like that....and that make me envy of you guys living in DIYing heaven country like US/Canada...

REgards,
---
David

Hi,

This is all on paper right now, but so far I am using Panasonic film caps (ECQ-B series), FC series Electrolytics, FM series for the low ESR 220uF, and TS-U series for the PS caps. (Incidently, I couldn't easily find a 10000uF 40V cap for the PSU in 30mm, so I opted for 12000uF 50v version. Should be fine.) I have selected an ECQ-E series for the input cap.

For the 3886, I opted for the insulated TF, so it would be easier to mount, since there are no readily available pads or mica that fit the chip, and I didn't want to custom cut anything for the kits. As I said, this is all just on paper right now, so anything can change.

Since we only have the original manufacturer name for a couple of the parts, making an exact copy will not be very easy. If anyoine has good suggestions for substitutions, I am glad to hear them. I would like to keep it with the larger suppliers to make life easier. I'll post my list in a day or two.

Order

Hi Folks,

Crunch time.

I started the order process yesterday. The manufacturer is ready to go, I simply have to send payment. If you stated you would like one or more of these please order today if possible so I know if I can go/no-go. I would hate to pull the plug on this, but I need to know if you guys really want these. I need to get at least have at least 10 bought to go forward.

If I pay today. I could have the boards in as little as two weeks, but I would not expect it to take any more then 3-4 weeks.

Here is the low down:

The Boards are $19.75 each.

U.S. Shipping is $5.00 plus $1.00 for each additional board (The boards are not as light as I expected at 170g).

Most shipping outside the U.S. will be 6.00 if I can use USPS Global Priority. I will deal with orders outside the U.S. on a case by case basis.

Order Here

Well, for your sake, i hope you got enough people on board.

should you however not get enough people interested, I'l be in for a new try in a a couple of weeks when i turn 18 and can get a visa to pay online and use paypal.

I'l be in for a couple of the opa627\buf634 pre boards too when that time comes, hopefully in the same run.

-marius

demogorgon said:
I'l be in for a new try in a a couple of weeks when i turn 18 and can get a visa to pay online and use paypal.

I'l be in for a couple of the opa627\buf634 pre boards too when that time comes, hopefully in the same run.

-marius

I am fairly certain everything will work out. I will order some extra boards, so if you ever want one just let me know.

Re: Paypal????

apassgear said:
A bit out of topic but since Russ is working through Paypal I was wondering what was realy happening with these paying system.

http://paypalsucks.com/

Can someone comment on this?

While there are some legitimate beefs regarding paypal, I've used it for ~4 years with no problems. I also use it to take monthly payments on a small side business that I run..

Pulling the trigger.

I am currently loosing money on this group buy, but I went ahead and purchased the PCBs. I really want to see a few of these built, so I am going forward for the love of the hobby, and because I think Mauro really deserves the recognition. It is my pay back to him for giving us such an innovative design.

If everyone who commited to a board follows through I will be OK.

I know one thing. I can't wait to build mine. :D.

Cheers.

Re: Order

Russ White said:
Hi Folks,

Crunch time.

I started the order process yesterday. The manufacturer is ready to go, I simply have to send payment. If you stated you would like one or more of these please order today if possible so I know if I can go/no-go. I would hate to pull the plug on this, but I need to know if you guys really want these. I need to get at least have at least 10 bought to go forward.

Order Here

Russ,

Sent you payment for a board. Hopefully this'll GB will go through! I would also love to see a preamp GB if you happen to arrange one (will probably buy far more boards on that :D )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.