Masterpiece

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
ok, I played a little bit with supply and had interesting report that I can share here with everybody.

Like I mentioned already cheap/standard quality Lead acid battery vs. Premium Cyclon.
This doesn't stand a chance. The premium battery has more speed and transparency.
Peace is just more involving and extremes of band are more powerful and extended, but yet there is more body to the sound.
Replace battery with Audio transformer and Blackgates fitlering, produce an interesting sound.
It feels like there is bit more 3D but sound sound doesn't have same power, lacks of body, precision and colors compared to the premium battery so I decided to turn this solution down.

Then I proceeded to take the shunt off and replace it with simple series regulator MOSFET and Zeners for reference.
With this arrangement I need to connect PSU ground while in the other 2 situations Ground was floating.
Sound changed significantly. Sounds feels more natural and body has come back, so sound is colorful again. Nevertheless I feel that the sound is less sophisticated compared to battery also seems not to have same transparency, crispness.
In the other hand, this arrangement is using low amount of capacitance and this might not be enough to knock noise down.
Perhaps, if I can manage to get the slight buzz off, I can get transparency back although I find it unlikely as it sounds more a difference due to the topology rather than disturbance induction.

In conculsion I felt that shunt works best with batteries and it's a mean to provide verly low impedance and clean supply to the circuit under test.
However, series regulation with its simplicity seems to posses a more natural sound but it lacks of sophistication.

It feels like series regulator has potential to be the most suitable for audio and seems to have the possibility to get the best sound.
If it could have a tad more refirement there would be no question who the winner of this round was.

I wonder how the tube with CLC filtering and series regulator might sound compared to the all above.

For this round I have to elect the cyclon with the Shunt the winner.

So you liked the Borbely better ?
Could you post a schematic ?
Did the batteries and the Borbely remove the remaining noise issue ?

As far as i can tell, Andrejs PSU uses a zener and two pass transistors at the output.

Where are the transistors? I only can see zeners on L-shaped heatsinks. If there were series-transistors, cooling of zeners makes no sense.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.