Martin Logan frequency correction???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

and now using 0,5 Ohm resistance !!!

Attachments

• neues bild (1).gif
    neues bild (1).gif
    63.5 KB · Views: 443
Then there is also a way to make it go MUCH more deaper in bass.

I am currently developing a design that haven't been made before.
Maybe a time to patent it... I don't know.
On the drawing board it is exelent, and You would expect a bass down to 20Hz and lower on a rather minor surfice then ESL's nowdays.

It will be quite exiting to make this.

But for sure, it would be much more interresting to make it together with one more... or two. hehe

For You guys who thinks I am silly speaking, I made a design on inductive hydraulic dampers för cars in -94.
Of course, I did not have the money to finish my idea. But I knew it was a good one.
Then a few years ago, I got a link from a friend showing BOSE developing just the same idea that I had.
First I almost cryed. Then I got happy, just because it proved me RIGHT!:D

Hi Jarre yuri,

the basic idea of a hydraulic or pneuamtic linear motor for speakers goes back to the fifties.

I think Bose developed this engine for speakers first, but possibly they recognized that the effort to do so is significant and the result might not be better compared to high sophisticated woofers.

Therefor they looked for a different application and found out that the linear motor is a good idea for active car suspensions.

Capaciti

Capaciti said:
Hi Jarre yuri,

the basic idea of a hydraulic or pneuamtic linear motor for speakers goes back to the fifties.

I think Bose developed this engine for speakers first, but possibly they recognized that the effort to do so is significant and the result might not be better compared to high sophisticated woofers.

Therefor they looked for a different application and found out that the linear motor is a good idea for active car suspensions.

Capaciti

I see!:D

Well, I guess my idea wasn't that bad after all concidering me not knowing about what happened in the fifties.:cool:

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Slightly offtopic, but I assume the ML use a transformer? I saw some small ones for only $2200 and I might pick up a pair in a few months, assuming there's a way to remove the transformer so I can hook up a direct drive high voltage amp. What's the step up ratio of the transformer?

Hi,

Yes they use a tranny and it will probabely be around 1:75.
But that doesn´t help You much, because You still don´t know how much voltage the panel demands. If You want to use a DD-amp, simply measure the d/s towards the back stator. The distance in mm times 2 is roughly the peak voltage the amp should deliver, which is nearly the same as the power supply voltage of the amp. As far as I know You can drive ML panels with amplifier supply voltages of 2-2.5kV. If You accept some penalty with regard to dynamic headroom, You might fudge a bit and choose values down to 1.5kV, but that still rules out simple DD-amps built with transistors (those are limited to ~1kV).

jauu
Calvin

ps. If You want to experience the fascination of electrostatic sound I recommend using no panel smaller than ~4 squarefeet area. Samller panels are rather toys than serious stuff.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Heh, not transistors. I have some transmitter power tubes that will easily handle the voltage.

Calvin said:
ps. If You want to experience the fascination of electrostatic sound I recommend using no panel smaller than ~4 squarefeet area.
But they get quite expensive as size grows... Well, I'm sure I can build it myself, but only flat, not curved. Indeed, I have no idea how curved ESLs can be built thin :?

Hi,

in case of HV-Tubes the schematics are simpler, right.
The panel´s size and it´s cost are not necessarily linked linearly with each other. Means, a large panel can be nearly as chep as a small one or just slightly costier. A single large one usually is cheaper and much less work and better than a array of small ones. The building effort for one panel is nearly the same, so cost versus result ratio is better with a large panel.
Building a curved or flat stator is rather a matter of taste, both have their merits and flaws. Curved ones may rely more on prefabricated parts and less building effort, while flat ones require more work, but are even more DIY-able and a bit cheaper. Since curved ones profit from their inherent stability by the curvature they can be made thinner than flat ones. Mine are just 6-7mm thick.

jauu
Calvin

Martin Logan CLS II Crossover / Step-up Transformers

My appologies for tagging onto this thread, but its the most related one I could find and I was unable to start a new thread.

I have the opportunity to purchase some Martin Logan CLS II ESL speakers which will include the power supplies but are missing the crossovers.

I have a Schematic for the crossovers which call for a 1:75 and 1:100 step up transformer.

I hear many people talk about how these transformers can be had for less then $50 ea. However going to the Manufacturer they are asking around $250 ea.

I really don't want to spend $1000 on 4 transformers.

As for the transformer values, (1:75 / 1:100) Much of the information I find online for do it yourself step up calls for 1:50 and 1:200, quite a bit off the reference provided by Martin-Logan.

Any recommendations?

I have attached a schematic

Hi,

without going to far into detail, the earlier MLs of the 1990s used some pretty cheap and even really bad trannies. But since they fitted into the concept well, the end result was ok too. If You choose now a different transformer -even if it is clearly a superior one- You may end up with a worse result. While this isn´t so much an issue with the ´bass´-transformers, it will most probabaley be an issue with the ´mid-high´-transformers.

jauu
Calvin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.