Marsh headphone amp from Linear Audio

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I thought I looked close enough at the schematic. I am pretty sure that Richard Marsh tied them all together. I would imagine he will have an answer to this question.

I am not sure about pcb other than the one(s) I made for myself. With those, the grounds eventually all get back to the common PS ground point...... they are not all connected together on/at the pcb.

THx-RNMarsh

I am not sure about pcb other than the one(s) I made for myself. With those, the grounds eventually all get back to the common PS ground point...... they are not all connected together on/at the pcb.

THx-RNMarsh

We were referring to the board that was purchased as the groun was not connected on the pcb at one point due to an oversight when the board was made. The through hole was not connected to ground.

What are the different power supplies that have been used with this kit? Has anyone tried upping the capacitance? I put in a Goldpoint attenuator, which does better with highs and transparency vs the carbon pot I was using, and I like carbon pots but Goldpoint, iMO is a step up for the upper range of frequencies, increasing transparency. Lows are basically the same on either pot.

Last edited:
I use a pair of transformers, rectifiers, filters in a separate box. The two DC power wires go to the HeadPhone Amp box and inside are two voltage regulators right beside the HPA pcb's.

-RM

Do you use the same amount of uF as shown on the board at the beginning of the thread? So you are using a dual power supply or separates for the + and -?

I like to use dual power supplies, going extreme at times but to me the sound is just better, with no pull from R or L channel. I also like what I call a pseudo dual supply, using a dropping resistor and cap, RC and in tube stuff I like a RLCL to the tube. I love inductor loading. Running an umbilical is a great way to go. My preamp is sitting out in the garage, after being in storage for 10 years. For that I used two external ps's that could practically run a speaker amp. Double regulate and all each one is driving is a 1931 mesh plate 27 tube. I start out with 720 volts and drop it down in a RCLCL circuit. With some nice output transformers, I worked on this preamp for a long time. A friend made a very nice rosewood case for it, low profile and beautiful. Well someday to get it back up and running but I am enjoying your amp for my headphones. Feeding it with the Chord Hugo.

Last edited:
i've been using modified borbely-sulzer regs on PCBs purchased from Old Colony A LONG time ago (1980s?). Borbely fashioned these to power a low noise moving coil preamp design, so it's quiet.

I use separate regs for each L-R channel, 4700uF after soft recovery rectifiers, a single 200VA, unsnubbed toroid, and an Alps Black Beauty dual 10K for volume. As I told Richard earlier in the thread, I've been very happy with this arrangement. Eventually, I'll get around to tweaking it but it's more than good enough for me to be off spending my time working on other projects at the moment.

mlloyd1

What are the different power supplies that have been used with this kit? Has anyone tried upping the capacitance? ...

i've been using modified borbely-sulzer regs on PCBs purchased from Old Colony A LONG time ago (1980s?). Borbely fashioned these to power a low noise moving coil preamp design, so it's quiet.

I use separate regs for each L-R channel, 4700uF after soft recovery rectifiers, a single 200VA, unsnubbed toroid, and an Alps Black Beauty dual 10K for volume. As I told Richard earlier in the thread, I've been very happy with this arrangement. Eventually, I'll get around to tweaking it but it's more than good enough for me to be off spending my time working on other projects at the moment.

mlloyd1

Interesting. I am getting ready to due a dual supply for R and L. May use some Black Gate caps, one of my preferred. A very good sounding amp Richard has done.

I got my board assembled and am shopping for a power supply and ran across this on eBay ... seems like it would do the trick and the price is right at only $15 fully assembled PCB with free shipping! Looks like a CCS-fed shunt to me.

Attachments

• IMG_2671.JPG
    IMG_2671.JPG
    382.2 KB · Views: 557
  • $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 550
  • $_1.GIF
    $_1.GIF
    17.7 KB · Views: 529
I got my board assembled and am shopping for a power supply and ran across this on eBay ... seems like it would do the trick and the price is right at only $15 fully assembled PCB with free shipping! Looks like a CCS-fed shunt to me.

Very nice solder work.

15$. . . wow. I wish I had seen that. Get 2, one for each channel. Do you have the link on ebay? I have made up CCS before. Done right they sound good, but if off, I found them slightly grainy and at that point I prefer battery but then unless you have another circuit involved you don't have CCS.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member

It is unbelieveable they can do it for that money!
Though, be aware, you need a xformer with two fully isolated secondaries.

Jan

It is unbelieveable they can do it for that money!
Though, be aware, you need a xformer with two fully isolated secondaries.

Jan

Yes it is! Sometimes the things I find on eBay from China baffle me! I usually buy all of my gold-plated audio connectors there for pennies on the dollar for the same ones sold here in the USA that are "rebadged". ;)

FYI - I already have an 18V+18V Antek toroid

I had to go back and look at your soldering skills. I need to work on mine. I have been soldering for over 50 years. Do good at times and have soldered resistors about the size of dust but always like to improve my skills.

I just noticed you installed Black Gates. I still have a large store of BG's but not enough of the right ones for this.. . . oh, I have some 16 volt 470uf non polar. That would work. I like caps near their max voltage anyway.

I had to go back and look at your soldering skills. I need to work on mine. I have been soldering for over 50 years. Do good at times and have soldered resistors about the size of dust but always like to improve my skills.

I just noticed you installed Black Gates. I still have a large store of BG's but not enough of the right ones for this.. . . oh, I have some 16 volt 470uf non polar. That would work. I like caps near their max voltage anyway.

:D

As for the BG's, I had them leftover from an old Marantz CD63 I had modified back in the day. IIRC, I only paid about $10 each for them back then. I decided to give them a home in this board ... now I only have 2 left! :(

:D

As for the BG's, I had them leftover from an old Marantz CD63 I had modified back in the day. IIRC, I only paid about $10 each for them back then. I decided to give them a home in this board ... now I only have 2 left! :(

Right, I refuse mine. Still have around 100 NOS. High voltage for tube equipment and then mostly 6.3, 16 and some 25 volt. Mostly in non polar, which is what I preferred. I bought a number when they were on sale at 1/2 price of the original retail. :^) Maybe some day something will equal them for analogue stages.