Marketing Terms - in plain cruel words!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JBL amazes engineering community

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Westrock2000
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shielded components allow placement near video monitors. High-temperature, oversized Kapton® voice coil and HeatScape™ motor structure allow these speakers to effortlessly play all types of movies and music. The woofers are built on cast-aluminum frames, which reduce distortion and increase power-handling capability. A low-diffraction IsoPower™ baffle directs the sound power into the room, reducing distortion caused by cabinet vibration. The lock-mitred, computer-designed enclosure requires no bracing. The FreeFlow™ flared port increases bass response without adding unwanted port noise. JBL's custom-designed drivers allow the use of simple, Straight-Line Signal Path™ (SSP) crossover networks with high-quality electrical components that minimize processing that could degrade the signal. All Studio Series loudspeakers are equipped with all-metal, 5-way, gold-plated binding post speaker terminals.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.....they can say "we didn't spend crap making these"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The context is thus:
In another unrelated thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8267&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
Re: Re: Wooden chassis vs. metal
quote: Originally posted by peranders
It's usually a good idea to have a metal cage around electronics, especially these days with mobile phones, remote controls etc.
And Nelson Pass replied:
This is generally true, but in the case of Zens and Alephs you can get away with it because they are extremely RF resistant.
So I recommend wood at least in this case.
_________
Sooo.... In the tongue in cheek spirit of *this* thread,
'Zens and Alephs are extremely RF resistant' = These amps have an unfortunate frequency response. ;) ;) ;) Juuuust kidding.;)

Re: JBL amazes engineering community

halojoy said:
Shielded components allow placement near video monitors. High- temperature, oversized Kapton® voice coil and HeatScape™ motor structure allow these speakers to effortlessly play all types of movies and music. The woofers are built on cast-aluminum frames, which reduce distortion and increase power-handling capability. A low-diffraction IsoPower™ baffle directs the sound power into the room, reducing distortion caused by cabinet vibration. The lock-mitred, computer-designed enclosure requires no bracing. The FreeFlow™ flared port increases bass response without adding unwanted port noise. JBL's custom-designed drivers allow the use of simple, Straight- Line Signal Path™ (SSP) crossover networks with high-quality electrical components that minimize processing that could degrade the signal. All Studio Series loudspeakers are equipped with all-metal, 5-way, gold-plated binding post speaker terminals.

Translation:

We slapped a metal thingy round them so you can watch tv without everybody onscreen turning green. A metal basket also conducts heat so it helps we think when you turn it up way beyond sensible settings. The sketches for the woodworkers were made on a pc instead of paper, but the printout got soaked a bit when the cat upset the coffee, so the baffle isn't flat. It diffracts a little less, and the port tube was a bit small, so we passed it over the stove and strechted one side a bit so now it fits. The drivers are leftovers without QC, only we may seek in the dustbin. We did not fit a crossover, that's cheaper and better than the stuff we would otherwise use. Oh, and the terminals are from another faulty run. It should have had 6 terminals for active 3-way speakers. But it looks cool and there will be endless discussions about what to connect to that 5th terminal. Only thing that worries me is how do you play a movie on a loudspeaker?

EDIT: forgot the quote....

Havoc said:
Limited edition: the limit is how much we can sell of those
Limited edition = We could really sell waaaay more of these than we are actually going to manufacture, but YOU are so stupid to think you are getting something special because you think there are not many of them (how that automatically makes it better I don't know!) and WE the manufacturer are so stupid for limiting the amount of money we could make by making only a limited amount. :rolleyes:

Hey folks,

here's something new by monster cable!!

OrganicHyprafluxdensity-wire™®

:D :D :D

/edit: BTW, it's candy........

Attachments

• kabel.jpg
    kabel.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 451
Re: Re: ummm, hey skinny boy

zeno said:

Isn't it General Motors (both European models like Opel or Vauxhall and some American types) produced in Australia?

Drove one when I was on holiday three years ago in New Zealand. Was exactly the same as the Opel Vectra.

Marc

Umm...... I don't know... :p All I know is that I don't like them... The latest holden was like... like.... BAD!!!!!

Holden

Yes, Opel has the worldwide (or rather ROW=rest of world, see below) product design lead for GM. Their cars are sold as Opel in continental Europe, Vauxhall in the UK, Holden in Australia and New Zealand, ?? in South Africa and probably GM generic in South America. The cars are usually produced locally and have some local facelifts.

A lot of compact and mid-size GM cars in the U.S. used to be based on Opel platforms in the 80s, long before the name platform strategy was invented. Now that most international car makers have implemented platform strategies, they don't use it any more. Crappy as Opels may be, they probably still had too much the feel of quality engineering for the U.S. market. So by the late 90s, there were no more Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile cars based on Opel platforms. There were, however, a few Cadillacs actually manufactured by Opel in Germany and sold in the US with a Cadillac nameplate.

hmmm....marketing.

A couple of goodies:

Mid '80s, Yamaha were marking some of their motorbikes with a wonderful device called the FAI. I looked closer to find the word written underneath-Fresh Air Intake!

Audio related, a full page advert in 1983-4 extoling the virtures of a new range of cartridges/styli. It went into some detail as to how and why vinyl was always going to be superior to compact disc for those who 'listened' to their music. The manufacturer-Philips.

Teeheehee!

Paul

I stood in a bookshop reading about the local development story of the first car in the link below. Out in the wide open spaces here, there are quite a few rough roads and the Rekord they were using as a test vehicle, well they pounded it so hard for so long the entire front of the car body snapped off forward of the windscreen! :D They were using strain gauges on the front suspension struts and stub axles and recording the data stream on a cassette recorder sitting on the back seat. They sent the data off to Germany and the engineers there nearly flipped their collective wigs; the shock load readings were *three* times higher than they had ever seen before. They would not believe there was not a mistake in the measurement till finally one of them came out here to see for himself. After he picked his jaw up off the ground he remarked that we should spend money on better roads, not stronger cars.

Anyway, on the test track at Lang Lang, Victoria, about an hour from my place they got a brand new mid 70's Volvo which was considered by many to be notably strong in the suspension department. They managed to blow the front shockers after about 50 miles. :) Apparently the track is so rough that drivers are only allowed to spend two hours at a time on it for their own health! Anyway, they finally got the Commodores right, so that the limit of endurance is the driver, not the car. They are one strong bus. They were available with locally designed and made 253 & 308 cid V8's too. I have a 253 powered 1981 one.

http://members2.easyspace.com/hotholdens/history/21_years_of_commodore.html

Cars of Eternal Life

"There can be no argument," says veteran motoring writer Bill Tuckey in his latest book, Commodore Lion King: Celebrating 21 Years, "that the milestone cars in post-war Australian automotive manufacturing history were the 48-215 in 1948, the HQ Holden and the VB Commodore."

So how many kilometers (1000m) have that copy of yours been rolling?

My 1981 VH Commodore has done 394,000 km. My 1975 HJ Holden Kingswood which is the same car as the HQ mentioned but with nose and tail differences and other minor variations has done 474,000 km. I'm going to give it a party when it hits the 500,000 km point. I've had this one for 10-1/2 years, the other 2-1/2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.