Markaudio Pluvia Eleven

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Stefan. Please do; I'm forever losing designs, so be good to have them somewhere easily accessible.

Evan has kindly drawn up the Pensil 11 in metric (attached), until Dave's feeling up to doing some CAD work. He seems to be improving thank God (literally), but it'll take as long as it takes as far as recovery goes. No point rushing things, although knowing Dave, he'll want to ;) .

Attachments

• Pensil 11.PDF
    167.6 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
I was planning on getting to that as soon as the snow clears on the drive up do Dave's place. Mind you, the P11s are still new in box, so they would take at least a week to fully break in.

We happen to have two pairs of XLs on hand - one currently empty, but easy enough to repopulate with A10.3 - the other has FF165WK, which according to my quick test should be a straightforward drop-in.

I know that Stefan (orangeart) has kits for both models , and wonder if he's made such a comparison yet?

If/when I get to it, there'll be no rigorous in room acoustic measurements, so if those are critical to your decision making you'll need to look to others.

It's a bit curious as to why Madisound has now so aggressively priced both these models -($85 /86 USD ea).

Yes I've tried them, again no rigourous in room measurements. I'm sure Scott will be along at some point but the tuning is give or take the same for both the drivers I believe, that said they do sound a but more solid, if not deeper. The main thing here is you can crank them up much louder, they will take much more abuse. Basically they are a very decent mid bass driver that will do all expected of that breed, but they have the advantage of doing the full range thing rather well too. I've just had an online magazine here do a build and listen review in a pensil, they think they are absolutely brilliant, see through speakers which do timing and dynamics like nothing they have heard, praise indeed.

It would be great to see more Frugel Horns with these drivers in.

Please report back if you go this route.

Stefan

Thank you Chris & Stefan For the information.
Very good to know they handle a little extra volume, as i have an open plan living area where the speakers will reside.
Looks the P11 is a good choice to play with. I'm thinking of making a removable baffle for my FH XLs, so i can experiment with other drivers. I was thinking of playing around with some 8" FR drivers, just for fun.

Cheers
Jason

If you mean trying an 8" in the FHXLs, that could be a shoe-horn tight fit, and you'd definitely want to keep the likely deeper behind baffle mounting depth in mind. Even the extra thickness of planting the removeable baffles proud of the front panel could be of benefit there.

Yes, 8" drivers will be a tight fit, but i think i've found a few to consider.

Tangband have 3, but i'm only going to pick one to play with.

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-894-tang-band-w8-1808-specifications-46404.pdf
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-893-tang-band-w8-1772-specifications-46403.pdf
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-960--w8-2145-spec-sheet.pdf

W8 2145 is the driver i'd like to play with. I have the 5" version of this driver in DIY bookshelf speakers & absolutely love it. Cost is also much less than the other 2.

The only thing that maybe an issue is the driver QTS 0.45. I'm not sure if it's to high for the FHXL.

W8 1772 has a QTS 0.27, closer to the Pluvia 11 & maybe the better but much more expensive option. This is the driver recommended for Back Loaded Horn enclosures.

As for fitting the FHXL enclosure, I think they will fit unless i've missed a detail. With a mounting diameter of 190mm & if I flush mount the driver to 1" thick baffle, this should leave enough clearance (12mm) behind the driver for damping material.

I'll only use screws long enough to mount the drivers & be flush with the rear of baffle, just so i'm not screwing into the side & top walls of enclosure.

I understand the FHXL is not tuned for these drivers, but to me DIY is all about giving it a go & experimenting. If it doesn't work then so be it, but if it works very well i can reap the rewards. ;)

Jason

Please note that the VAS for the W8-2145 is also much higher compared to the Alpair 10.x and Pluvia 11. However I would not be able to comment on how that might affect interaction with the cab.

Yes, considerably higher at 67.7. It maybe an issue with enclosure...

My first choice is the Pluvia 11 driver. I'm just going to build the enclosure with interchangeable baffles, so i can experiment with other 6" & 8" drivers.

Cheers
Jason

For those still interested in this driver HiFi pig have done a write up of both the driver and the new Pensil 11 kit that I've produced especially for this driver. It's a bit of a departure for the 'Pig' as it normally reviews much more mainstream and expensive products so kudos to them for getting stuck into the DIY scene

http://hifipig.com/pensil-cabinet-ki...leven-drivers/

Also as promised I collected all the drawing together on my Pluvia 11 page.

Pluvia 11 – Soft Chrome/Vintage Gold (single driver) – KJF Audio

I'm in the UK, London, and may want to build a second pair of speakers with Alpair 10 or Pluvia 11.

My present speakers are Alpair 10 Gen 1 in 4 foot high columns. Very happy with them, and bass has loosened up nicely over the years.

So far I can see Frugal Horn and Pensil kits offered and interested in opinions on which units and enclosures. I listen to classical and jazz - a lot of opera and vocals. DHT SET amplifiers. I'm a musician and timbre of acoustic instruments is my main priority.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Also I seem to remember Dave doing a GR drawing for these at some point although I cant find it now. Did you ever build those?

We did. And then gave them away as a diyFEST door prize.

Pluvia11-CGR.jpg

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.