Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have them for about a week now. Overall – that’s exactly I was looking for.
Design is not too complex, to be impossible to implement, same time not too simple – to be interesting and challenging enough.
I like the way they sound – clean and powerful. Way better than my old Quest 5.1 set (to be fair I paid 100CAD for the whole set including active sub).
Treble is incomparable to my other pair of OB-RAW with ribbons, and base is incomparable with my Cerwin-Vega floor standers. But that’s PC speakers – sitting in front of me right now, playing music really-really sweet. They not take half of my room. They even not take a lot of my desk. They don’t mind to play in the corner, right against the wall.
So, one more time: thank you HareBrained, really like them.

I'm glad you enjoyed building them and how they sound. For their intended purpose, they are sweet. Thanks for building the design.

what ever the reason alpairusa had great prices on the units, and also did great commercial support, with my order delivery and redelivery and redelivery again... that's a long story of us post offices and me going on holiday in the usa...

but the guy there was so nice i simply had to spend a very good word on him.

A mate and I built 3 pr of speakers last week, 2 pr Lotus and 1 pr BIB, all for CHR-70. My mate Dave was very impressed, so was I, but I already had built a pr of Lotus previously, and was impressed to hear similar character at someone else's place with different room, amp, and wood material. He already had MDF and chipboard so we used that. Both designs sound very good. I have no idea how they compare to other designs though, but we could not fault them. The BIB build is so quick and easy. Lets just say there were lots of smiles from us amateurs...all good clean fun...

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/birdy81260/BIBCHR70.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/birdy81260/LotusCHR70.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/birdy81260/Lotusinternals.jpg

Interesting that the Lotus seems to have high WAF in my experience (based on 2 wives and one teenage girl - Daves daughter), or the quality of sound far surpassed the appearance, not sure which, maybe both :)

All of this is thanks to Dave, Scottmoose and GM, you guys are making a lot of people happy I am sure.

Last edited:
Ian444. I see you made the single driver lotus design. A few folks that have made the dual driver version think it sounds better than the single. I've always found that what you don't know won't hurt you. If the single sounds good then having no dual version to compare it to and spoil that feeling is probably a good thing! Having said that, is there anything about your Lotus that you find lacking or think the dual version might correct? And how do they compare to the BIB's. Which do you prefer? BIB or Lotus and why?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

audiosteve,

I was hoping no-one would ask these questions :)

I wasn't aware that anyone had compared the dual driver version to the single. I did think about doing a dual, but that's as far as it got... To answer your question I find nothing lacking, but I have never owned decent speakers before this. When I first ran them, it was like a sub had been added, compared to my old bookshelf speakers (Klipsch RB-61). The hi and low frquencies have very good clarity, voices sound sweet. The clarity is what I really like. This "new-found" bass inspired me to build some BIB for the CHR-70 (with my mate Dave who has them at his place about 4 hr drive from here) and also we cut some wood for BIB for HiVi M4N which are nearly completed at my place. I wanted to see what BIB could do compared to the Lotus. I'm new to full-range and building so I'm in some sort of exploring mode at the moment. Dave had heard my Lotus, and wanted me to help him build some Lotus for his daughters' birthdays, so I drove up there, he has all the power tools, table saw etc, and I thought why not knock up the BIB's while we're at it. Dave was really impressed with both speaker types.

Comparing the CHR-70 Lotus to CHR-70 BIB, I have no realistic/concrete results. We built the BIB's last, so the drivers were less broken in than the ones in the Lotus, which weren't broken in either. Anyway we connected the BIB's to his system, previously we were listening to Lotus, and we both thought they sounded great, they weren't up against a wall as such and miles away from the ceiling, but still did a nice job. That was at night and one of them still had clamps on it. Next morning I selected a song for testing and listened to the BIB's and then swapped the Lotus back in. The Lotus had a bit less deeper bass, but the bass of the Lotus was more controlled, tighter bass. The Lotus high freq was stronger too. So the BIB's sounded great on rock'n'roll, real party animal "live sound" stuff, Deep Purple etc, and the Lotus was more impressive with clarity and the freq response more balanced. But there are a few big "buts", the BIB drivers had very little time on them, less time than the ones in the Lotus, and the BIB's were not optimally positioned either. As far as tuning/damping/stuffing goes on the BIB's, I put my ear in the open end and could hear up to the lower frequencies of the male vocals, so I'm not sure if that is enough stuffing in there? Is that 300Hz? Maybe over-damped? Both speaker types had very similar volume output for the same power input. After that quick comparison I had to drive home, and probably won't get back there for a while.

Although a long reply, it doesn't answer your questions very well, but early impressions are better than nothing I hope. Like italynstylion, I really love the Lotus. His are dual and beautifully finished, I think he inspired me to build mine, seeing the pics and report, thanks mate! It will be interesting to hear the BIB's with the HiVi M4N tomorrow, can't wait...and Planet10 has some interesting designs too...I bought a small table saw from ebay (Triton) a few days ago, I dunno whats going to happen from here on...

Not to belabour the "obvious", but something to keep in mind when comparing applications with single vs dual Mark Audio drivers (including CSS EL70 ) is the synergy of amplifier output stage with varying impedance load.

Not all SS amps and even fewer tube amps would be comfortable at "realistic" playing levels with under 2ohm load presented by a pair of these drivers in parallel, and many could exhibit different signatures at the (approx) 4 from a single and 8 resulting from series connection of dual drivers. Depending on the individual system, this could swamp the difference in acoustic performance between single and dual drivers.

Presumably a quality autoformer could render this issue moot, but that could equal the cost of some budget amps.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
A quick note to let you know the new CHR-70 will be available soon. I've completed the production. The driver is updated with new cones (Multi-formed), revised coil and rear suspensions.

Here's a pic. I'll be back to the studio later next week so will post in the forum's new makers section.

Thanks,

Mark.

Attachments

• CHR-70_new1.jpg
    CHR-70_new1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,495
Hi Guys,
A quick note to let you know the new CHR-70 will be available soon. I've completed the production. The driver is updated with new cones (Multi-formed), revised coil and rear suspensions.

Here's a pic. I'll be back to the studio later next week so will post in the forum's new makers section.

Thanks,

Mark.

Mark, do we have any new TS paremeters for these? Also, how would you say the new design is better?

Mark, do we have any new TS parameters for these? Also, how would you say the new design is better?

Hi Steve,
Humble apologies for not replying sooner. Here's the link to the new CHR-70 thread in Markaudio section of Manufacturers, all T/S info there. I'd personally say the new multi-form cones are a nice step forward. Derek Shek (Miniwatt amp maker) and me were playing the new drivers in 10 litre BR's, Derek's tiny 2.5 watt with switching power supply - smooooooooth as silk with more detail, clarity. Derek knows both old and new drivers, got the big thumbs up for him for the new model.
Amazed at Derek's tiny 2.5. Thought it might struggle pushing the CHR's but it didn't. Played loud and clear, I learn something new every day.

Email me if you need more info - thanks

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/153091-new-chr-70-a.html

Mark.
:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.