Mark Audio A12P SuperPensil Buildlog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually it hasn't. Again, it's a matter of implementation and design requirements.

Many people like paper cones, and they often make many assumptions about cone materials. But 'best' is a target that varies depending on what it is you want to do. For example, W.E. etc. back in the day preferred metal. But there are some things that paper cones can do that are harder to do with metal cones, and visa versa. Same applies to many other material types. Cone profles and suspension design also play a major role in this. Take the current generation A12P under discussion here. The reason paper is used is that there aren't any other materials available that have the necessary balance of properties (stiffness, resonant characteristics, weight et al) that will achieve the desired response & efficiency with that cone profile -not any that are realistically affordable anyway. Kevlar, fiberglass, carbon etc. won't do it. Metal gets closest, but even then, weight goes up, efficiency down, & with the very flat cone profile and the way the suspension is designed, where the spider does the majority of the work, it runs into stability issues.

Last edited:
It has been proven time and time again that paper is the best material for the cone. As Scottmoose hit on, the quality and implementation are key.

Ron - while I've no argument with assessment of the 12P, or even the more modest EL70 and A6P, or numerous Fostex etc, which all use different types of paper and profiles, the use of the term "best" in describing any audio component is always troublesome.

Granted, of the numerous drivers I've heard with "higher tech" materials (woven fibers, polystyrene, ceramic dome tweeters, metal alloys, etc) not all have lived up to the promise of "superior performance" - some have indeed send me running as quick as possible from the room.

Impedance and Frequency Response of SuperPensils

Here are the impedance graphs of the speakers as well as the frequency response graphs of the Mark Audio A12P in a SuperPensil.

Attachments

• ImpL.PNG
    ImpL.PNG
    871.3 KB · Views: 477
  • ImpR.PNG
    ImpR.PNG
    865.1 KB · Views: 465
  • Mark.PNG
    Mark.PNG
    817.1 KB · Views: 450
  • MarkSub.PNG
    MarkSub.PNG
    819.2 KB · Views: 431
Looks good! Someone smarter than me can answer the ? about the first impedance peak at ~28Hz, is that from the tuning of the transmission line?

The second graph with the sub looks like a big bump at about 70 Hz, but it sounds quite balanced that way. It's nice to have the treble shunt on the decware, which acts as a nice BSC in a sense and rolls off the highs quite nicely.

These are very nice sounding speakers -- good design, good drivers and good build.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.