Mark Audio A12P SuperPensil Buildlog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A bunch more completed so far today, should have one totally done today! Just a couple more back supports to go. A quick run to Lowes to get the pieces to attach the back with.

Going to hardwire them through the port today to do a listen test. (No binding posts etc here yet.)

I have one cabinet fully glued up except for the back. Going to attach the back once this glue sets and mount the driver. Should make for a great listen test!

Thanks to Planet10, I will use CAT5 from the driver to the hookup. (I will just be running this out the front port for now during the test phase.

Here are some pictures from the build so far...

Attachments

• a12pclosed.jpg
    a12pclosed.jpg
    598.4 KB · Views: 600
  • a12popen.jpg
    a12popen.jpg
    741.1 KB · Views: 566
  • face_glue.jpg
    face_glue.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 537
  • flushmount.jpg
    flushmount.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 474
  • roundover.jpg
    roundover.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 462
  • half_speaker.jpg
    half_speaker.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 206
  • full_speaker.jpg
    full_speaker.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 214
Couple more shots after the last clamps came off. Back is just tapped into place, no screws or anything yet. Fits like a glove. Stable too!

Todo:
  1. Trim Edges with Flush Trim Bit
  2. Roundover all edges
  3. Install Drivers
  4. Add PolyFill
  5. Test

Attachments

• FinishedRaw2.jpg
    FinishedRaw2.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 283
  • FinishedRaw1.jpg
    FinishedRaw1.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 258
Simplest solution, stagger two 1.25" ø dowels to form a Cross Brace just above the port but not with equal spacing from the next set of X bace'd dowels further up the cabinet. Although i do question whether three pairs of X braces would be sufficient bracing for a cab of that depth.

Simplest solution, stagger two 1.25" ø dowels to form a Cross Brace just above the port but not with equal spacing from the next set of X bace'd dowels further up the cabinet. Although i do question whether three pairs of X braces would be sufficient bracing for a cab of that depth.

Thanks, I will take a peek at my options... I might make the optional braces...

Ron,
The build looks great - nice job! I was going over some old threads and recall you were talking about building the WIBAQ (essentially the same thing but with shelf-port). Did you abandon that due to back order of Betsy driver? Looking forward to first sound.

Yes, I also wanted a pure full range driver without the use of a whizzer. I read in a few places that whizzers could be prone to shout-iness. The back order also didn't help as I was impatient and was itching to get started. :)

That said, doesn't mean I wont build those in the future as well.

My brother has the Betsy-K's so building that cabinet without the driver might still be a possibility.

That said I am blown away by the build quality of the Mark Audio drivers.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Have you started breaking in those MA drivers? I hear they need like 200 hrs before they sound right. Good to hear that you like the build quality, I may have to get these one of these days when I have a shop that can make stuff out of wood. I don't think a 4 foot tall box this big would work very well in foam core ;) Good point about the whizzer, but I have not heard anybody complain about the whizzer on Betsy's in particular. You are impatient - working at breakneck speeds with your build there:) Amazing progress.

This build has been completed to a listening state. I will be running them like this for a while during the "burn-in phase". So far I am just blown away by the Mark Audio A12p's.

Imaging is just ethereal and absorbing. I have never heard anything like it.

I posted some final build pics. Last things left are some wood filler, sanding, and stain. I will be holding off on this until I have listened long enough.

Attachments

• pensil.jpg
    pensil.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 446
  • pensil2.jpg
    pensil2.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 420
  • minitorii.jpg
    minitorii.jpg
    665.5 KB · Views: 423
  • depth.jpg
    depth.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 270
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.