Marantz PM66KI amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PM6010 Problems

Hi, I have a PM6010 KI and the main fuse has blown. I have tried everything suggested -

Removed and tested ALL transistors, they seem ok.
Tested R801 R802, seem ok.
I switched on and relay did not click off, then small resistors near the back of the board RN01 + RN02 blew.
i changed them and switched on again.

the two large resistors R771 R772 - 10R 3W - got hot VERY quickly, so I replaced these and switched on again, that is when the fuse blew.

Please someone help, I am without music.:bawling:

RN01 and RN02 feed the base of the power transistors and R771 R772 are on the output.

This means the output is knackered. You really need to change every transistor on both outputs. The smaller idle / bias transistors controlling the output have broken down and when you switch on you are getting thermal run away.

Change Q751 Q753 Q755 Q757 Q759 Q761 Q763 QN01 QN03.
Repeat for the other channel, then when it powers up follow the very important idle bias set up procedure.

Brent

Hi

R802 is a 47 ohm resistor and these do blow over time. They run quite warm and fatigue causes them to go. This resistor supplies voltage to the regulators for the protection circuit. This is why it will have not clicked into operation.

The output transistor blowing is not caused by this resistor so I can only assume you may have slipped and shorted something out :xeye:

Firstly I would remove Q764 Q762 and Q752 (all on heatsink).

Then power up amp and test for it clicking into operation and working on the left channel.

If all is ok then you can replace these 3 transistors and hope the rest of the circuit is not damaged.

If it blows again then its a full rebuild on that channel as listed earlier for Thomo.

If you decide to scrap it let me know and I may buy it off you as a back up for myself (I have 3 of these in my 5.1 system).

Brent

Please can I have a copy of the schematic for my 66KI sig? Please ? :wave:

I've been looking at various component supplier websites and can't find all the things I want. Can anyone suggest some good websites for capacitors and transistors?

Are there any tried and tested upgrades to the transistors? I have 2SA1265N type at the moment, while I'm changing some I thought I might change them all out.

Also can anyone give me a run down of which capacitors on the board perform what function? I'm trying to decide on replacement capacitors, but there are various different black gates for different jobs and I've confused myself trying to figure out which I need. N type, K type, standard, C type? I don't know! :scratch:

I guess I've kind of decided that if I'm replacing bits I might as well try to upgrade at the same time !

Regards,

Neil

I can't find anything bigger than 10000uF on that Hifi Collective site, and to be honest I'm not in the market for paying £140 per capacitor anyway. How much would Elna Silmics cost and where can I get them in 12000uF or bigger, anyone? In fact, where can I get any audio suitable caps that are 12000uF or bigger, I don't want to try these if I can help it!

Are Cornell Dubilier worth a look, or Mallory?

Neil

At that price its worth trying, I no nothing about the Mallory caps so I would say go for the Cerefine (unless you know otherwise).

See how mine are mounted! Do it that way. My caps are the size of coke cans and really are over sized. You may be able to get 4 of the ones you're looking at fitted in the same way.

Another option is to fit 2 bigger ones to the rear and some not quite so big in the original place.

Lots to ponder

Brent

chicco_36 said:
So,
Which one is better :

2SA1941 or 2SA1265 ?
2SC5198 or 2SC3102 ?

If you can, go for 2SA1943 and 2SC5200, best from Toshiba IMHO.

Chicco

Has anyone tried these transformers? I am a complete novice with electronics but having had a quick look a the specs of the 1943 and 5200 transistors, they are totally different from the standard ones.

I am slightly puzzled given the amount of time and money people here are prepared to spend on replacing caps and stuff, why transistors aren't really mentioned? Surely these little fellas provide the actual amplification? A more linear response from these must provide a significant improvement, and it only takes a glance at the data sheets for the 2SA1265 and the 2SA1943 to see how different their respective responses will be for a given input.

Unfortunately I wouldn't have a clue which ones would be better, but one of you clever people must be able to tell us if we can upgrade the sound by changing the transistors or if the sound would be totally ruined? Are the values of all the discreet passive components chosen specifically to complement the characteristics of a particular transistor?

:confused:

Neil

Elna For Audio PSU caps for PM66KI

Hi Brent

I have just opened up my Kenwood 3020SE which has a pair of Elna For Audio 10000uF 42v res caps.

I have a PM66KI which I have been modding from your list.

I was thinking of adding these in parallel with the existing res caps (which I snubbered as per your mods list) as I can't find any bazookas like yours :violin:

Do you know if they would be OK as I am not sure what voltage the KI runs at?

Kenwood has a massive heatsink and beefy output transistors and looks really neat next to my KI and also a Class A and Class B section. Interesting........

Cheers

Jim

I have a 3020SE its in my dining room. Great amp! May mod mine :devilr:

Pop a piccy on here of the internals ;)

The caps are not a high enough voltage:att'n: My KI runs at 44V.

Kenwood have always used good heatsinks good old proper cast aluminium ones. The Marantz heat sink is actually bigger than you think though, the veins are thin but do effectivley create an updraft. Also the aluminium the transistors sit on is decent + there is partial sinking to the chassis. All the output transistors are on one heatsink in the kenwood too if i remember correctly.
But yes it looks poo in the marantz.

Brent

Hi Brent

Yes the Kenwood looks much neater and logical as if it was designed from scratch for efficiency. Real macho stuff inside.

You're right about the output transistors, and they are big beasts too.

Will post some pics on here. Now, if I can just find that digital camera and charge the batteries...........:scratch:

Better make sure I don't fry anything in the amp like I did on my CD63Ki :whazzat:

Cheers

Jim

Hi Everyone,

Hope this is not off topic but after much searching this seems to be the best place to ask. :)

I recently repaired my PM44SE amp by replacing some blown output transistors. My question is: does anyone know what value to set the idling current to on the output stage of a PM44SE amp?

The PM44SE has the same circuit as the PM66KI except that some components are different values. I only have a schematic for the PM66KI and it shows R767 & R768 as 0.1 ohm x 2, but on my PM44SE these two resistors are 0.18 ohm x 2. From rowemeister's previous posts I know what idle current setting to use for the PM66KI but because these resistors are different on the PM44SE then I assume the idle current must also be different.

Anyone know?

Thanks, Victor

errr don't know :xeye:

Did only one channel blow?

If so from cold monitor both chanels for mV and see how the voltages rise.

The equation for the PM66 is 14mV/0.2 = 70mA (not 38.9mA as stated in manual).

So lets assume the 44 is 14mV/0.36 = 38.9mA (ahh typo in 66 manual then).

So set it to 14mV on both channels from cold. Don't be scared of its a little higher, just make sure they are both the same so you don't get any channel imbalance

Brent

Attachments

• class ab.jpg
    class ab.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 236
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.