Marantz PM66 KI tweeks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Great stuff! Do you plan to replace the pre-amp chip with a discrete circuit at any point? I read somewhere on this forum that their performance is quite limited. The pm17 doesn't have that chip does it?

After modding my 6010ki and comparing it to my dad's pm17ki, I am in no doubt that yours surpasses the latter's performance.

Unfortunately, there's no point me modding my ki further for high power as my speakers go plenty loud enough on less than 20 watts! ~110db 8ohm.

Regards, Lee.

I am working on the HDAM for the replacement for the chip.
It's not working properly yet. The chip drives the transistors before the idle circuit. If the balance is not 100% then the protection will not allow it to power up.
I have replaced alot of fuses on this project. It's early days yet.

110db is very efficient, the ATC use low efficiency but have a flat impedance. Thats also why they are 300W to compensate lol

Brent

Luke said:
hi guys, Im thinking about getting a PM66. Thing is I had one of these

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/pm78e.html

gotta say I ddint realy like it so much to start with and sold it. Anyone compared the PM66 with the PM78?

cheers arthur

The PM78 was based on the bog standard PM66 but they fitted all the loudness , bass and treble controls. All of which was stripped out in the PM66.

The KI has a good TX in it and makes a world of difference in the bass department

Brent

rowemeister said:
110db is very efficient, the ATC use low efficiency but have a flat impedance. Thats also why they are 300W to compensate lol

I think he means with 20w he gets 110dB output! 110dB is not a normal efficiency rating for speakers. Over 100 is exceptional.

Your amp sounds like it's kicking out plenty of current. The potency and depth of bass would seem to suggest it can drive the ATCs easily.

Also, good as they are, 300w would proably break the bass drivers at a low frequency!! Or would it.... ;)

Simon

Erm... my mistake, they're 96db 200w.

They are the reason that I am so interested in the HDAM that Brent is trying. My speakers really need a very smooth amp. The sound can grate with a lot of transistor amps - especially my 6010ki, way too bright & harsh. But get it right and they're magical.

Thomo said:
Erm... my mistake, they're 96db 200w.

They are the reason that I am so interested in the HDAM that Brent is trying. My speakers really need a very smooth amp. The sound can grate with a lot of transistor amps - especially my 6010ki, way too bright & harsh. But get it right and they're magical.

96db, wow! That's high enough to go really loud with 8 watts! What make/model are they?

Simon

rowemeister said:
Here is a tip on the 6010KI. Use BG caps. BG AC on input of power board. Simon will vouch for the sound of the amp.

No nasties at all.

Mind you the second TX made a huge diff.

Brent

I don't know if this is standard with the pm6010, but mine had two 1000uF 50v Silmics in parallel with main caps. Also one cap near the preamp chip was replaced with 100uf cerafine.

I used the silmics in the preamp and added a 470uF silmic also. Replaced main res caps with 15000uF 80v Dubilier. i also replace other caps with polystyrene. These mods really made big differences to the standard machine but still not enough!

I now use a re-built highly modded Quad405.

Lee.

They were fitted into tiny holes around the main caps. The leads were left long and they were glued to the main caps.

Attachments

• amp caps.jpg
    amp caps.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 683
I think they will have improved the sound there. I have the 2x 15000uF 80v + 100uF 63v + 100nF 250v caps in my quad.

Without the parallel caps the sound was much less....... well less everything really. With the extra caps the sound opened out, transients improved, it was surprising really.

Maybe worth a try in your amp Brent. 2 x 220uF I think is the suggested value for 22000uF!

Lee.

Thomo said:
I think they will have improved the sound there. I have the 2x 15000uF 80v + 100uF 63v + 100nF 250v caps in my quad.

Without the parallel caps the sound was much less....... well less everything really. With the extra caps the sound opened out, transients improved, it was surprising really.

Maybe worth a try in your amp Brent. 2 x 220uF I think is the suggested value for 22000uF!

Lee.

It's surely worth trying but his caps are Silmic!!! Bypassing or snubbing is recommended most highly for cheap caps. I use 8 x BC components 3300u in my chip amp (2 per rail, dual mono) and the sound improved with the use of a snubber across them (100nF+1R). The top end opened up and got more lively.

I started with just one 3300u per rail but added a 2nd lot to improve the bass - and it did! It also killed the top a little, which was cured by the snubber.

Simon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.