Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Q106 overheat

Hi

I was doing some cleanup in my player, shortening wires etc.
When I put the player together, it doesn't work anymore. The tray goes in and out but doesn't read discs.
Q106 gets burning hot :hot: , so I figure the problem lies around there.
I measured voltages on the pins. They all measure normal except pins 1 and 8.
On pin1 is -6.4v (should be 0v), on pin8 is -0.5v (should be 2.5v).
I guess I have fried something by mistake.

Any ideas?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Ray... long time no see.... I have been searching for some schematics of super rayregs that I built in the past but unfortunately I lost the layouts (computer crash)... in your site there is no more info.... Does this mean the original schematics are now out of date ?

Hi

I was doing some cleanup in my player, shortening wires etc.
When I put the player together, it doesn't work anymore. The tray goes in and out but doesn't read discs.
Q106 gets burning hot :hot: , so I figure the problem lies around there.
I measured voltages on the pins. They all measure normal except pins 1 and 8.
On pin1 is -6.4v (should be 0v), on pin8 is -0.5v (should be 2.5v).
I guess I have fried something by mistake.

Any ideas?

Try shorting pin 7 to 8. They are both inputs, so that will do no harm. Is pin 1 still -6.4V? Then your driver is probably broken.

Hi Ray... long time no see.... I have been searching for some schematics of super rayregs that I built in the past but unfortunately I lost the layouts (computer crash)... in your site there is no more info.... Does this mean the original schematics are now out of date ?

Would that be the LM317 with a gyrator in front of it?

I found a post of the 'Super-Raygulator' here :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi k.

I did it like attached. I just made it from what I had on stock, so I really don't know the part numbers. My version is current limited by the transistor; a better choice could be BC139/BC140. But for this application, it's sufficient.

The gyrator (aka VBE or capacity multiplier) is heavily discussed here Generic FET-based VBE PCB - pink fish media

Thank you Ray

I am planning something like it to feed 18v to an opamp.... what would you recommend for vref ?

Are there any 18v low noise zeners ?

Strange...now pin1 and pin8 measure correctly. But pin3 and pin5 are way off. The other op-amp in IC.
Pin 3 measures +6v (should be 0v) and pin 5 measures +5.5v ( should be 2.5v).

Capacitor fault.....hmmmm?

Check if the 2.5V reference voltage is stable, it is made with two resistors off the 5V supply. This is present on one of the inputs of each driver. Other cause could be one of the supplies failing because of the crack in a PCB trace.

That's a long time ago :)

Yes, indeed :D

But it's still alive!

Ray

Check if the 2.5V reference voltage is stable, it is made with two resistors off the 5V supply. This is present on one of the inputs of each driver. Other cause could be one of the supplies failing because of the crack in a PCB trace.
Ray

Yes, the VREF voltage is pretty stable 2.5 volts at R143 and R144.
Measured resistors around Q106 and they all seem to be OK. I also unsoldered and measured some of the small capacitors around Q106, but found nothing obvious.

Is it safe to swap Q106 and Q105, to check if it's Q106 that's faulty?

Yes, you can do that to check.

Yep, it's now obvious Q106 has blown.
I swapped Q06 and Q105. The same IC, now in Q105 socket, gets burning hot and the sled motor went mental.

Mouser has them still in stock:
TCA0372DP2G ON Semiconductor | Mouser

Possible causes why Q106 faulted:
Wire/solder residues shortening pins.
Removing/nudging of the ribbon cable between Main PCB and Mech.

That ribbon flat cable doesn't look very high-class.
Does anybody know of a better replacement, that fits in the cable connectors?
Maybe gold-plated or something....

Yep, it's now obvious Q106 has blown.
I swapped Q06 and Q105. The same IC, now in Q105 socket, gets burning hot and the sled motor went mental.

Mouser has them still in stock:
TCA0372DP2G ON Semiconductor | Mouser

Possible causes why Q106 faulted:
Wire/solder residues shortening pins.
Removing/nudging of the ribbon cable between Main PCB and Mech.

I blew one of these ICs when I carried out one of the 10 modifications. Mine was worse than yours as I could see spark and explode sound when I switched on the CDP :eek: I also mentioned this happening in this forum sometime ago. Later I found an unnoticeable short circuit by remaining solders being left behind. After that I always use contact cleaner to clean up the PCB and check by a magnifying glass before switching on.

Try eBay for the IC as it will be cheaper.