Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

adfinni said:
Simon, i think im gonna take brent on at his mechanism fixing game. I might submerge the whole player in oil, ,then it will have all the lubrication it ever needs ;)

Allan, I cerainly won't be throwing it out. Spares will be easily had from it, especially replacements like the chips (Q105/106 etc, dac, servo, etc etc) and as you said soldering practise will be great.

Fixing it will be hard though :hot:

edit. Hey brent. Cheers for that advice, il remove all of the grease. Even though on my current player there doesn't seem to be much at all. Lucky me :)

If you submerge your mech you will have to buy oil that has good optical properties :D

Also a it needs to be very thin oil so the disc has minimum drag on it. LOL

Brent

rowemeister said:
FTAO RAY

Opamp decoupling, whats the best way to do this?

I was thinking of the 10uF BG cap across +/- pin 4 and 8 and also the smt 220nF.
And then pin 4 to gnd via BG NX 470nF bipolar and the same on pin 8.
I will have to run wire from star earth to these caps.

They have arrived and will be fitted tomorrow

Brent

Ray

I meant to say..

10uF BG from + and - to gnd and the BG NX (bi polar) 470nF across +/- rails. I also have the very large 220nF PPS.

Brent

poynton said:

You could always put it on Ebay.....

One careful owner from new.
Modi-fried and upgraded
from non smoking household
Needs care and attention

should get £0.99 for it !

Andy

O look a joker in the house :D

But i think il get more takers if i auction it as

One careful LADY owner from new
Modi-fried and upgraded with vuoper racing stripes
In need of a jump start

6h5c said:

That's very well possible, I found this opamp to be quite upfront, with lots of treble, in-your-face so to speak. You may try some decoupling directly at the PSU pins (4 & 8). Or AD8620 :)

Ray.

I decoupled the opamps now with 220nF from pin 4 to 8. When I listened to it i felt the sound become a bit more natural.

Also removed C659 and C660, what do these do by the way?

The guy i bought the cd63 off from ebay has sent me a paypal refund :confused: :confused: :confused:

EDIT. Just got a message back saying he switched it on put a disk in then it died:

I'm so sorry, you'll never guess what just happend...
After emailing you this afternoon regarding the players working
condition I wanted to test it out to see if it was skipping. So I
fitted a plug, plugged it in, and it came on. I ejected the cd tray
put in a disc and it just died!!! I can't believe it!! I tried replacing
the fuse and even the plug but with no joy... I has worked
perfectly up until now.

Just got another msg:

However, when pressing the on/off button, light flickers out of the optical port still strangely

Do you guys reckon it's worth me paying for the postage, then getting the unit for free to fix, or does it sound terminal?

thanks

adam

Hi All,
More help needed.
I've been having trouble too, and not much time to fix it.
It all happened when I fitted the bipolar output stage that it went wrong (I do not suspect the bipolar stage).
Having removed it, still not working.
Anyway, I did have it so that it span like crazy as well. This appears to be a dry joint from one of 5v regs to XVDD on the DAC, which I assume is the circuit that then buffers/repeats the clock on to the decoder and the rest of the player.
Anyway, fixed that, now have the situation where it makes all the right (mechanical) noises when you put a disc in, but doesn't spin.
Service mode states Err 10, which apparently means radial.
Does anyone know what that can mean?

I know its one of the servo signals, and interestingly its on the one servo driver that hasn't been modded yet. But I don't know what it does.

I suspected the dodgy ribbon cable, it was looking a bit worn out, so I retinned the ends, to no avail (but thankfuly didn't make anything worse).

Alas, I'm away on business next week, so can discuss this, but can't try anything. Ho hum.
Itching to fix this, my unmodded CD41 really sounds bad.

Seriously thinking of getting another off of Ebay, if only for spare parts. My player has been dismantled a lot. I don't think it always likes it.
:whazzat:

Cheers,
Phil

adfinni said:
Have a look on page 1 of this thread. THe 67ose .pdf is right there :D

(bugger! IE crashed and I lost my reply GRRR! Anyway, again...)

Ad Mate, that's not the service manual you see but a list of Raymondo's mods to his CD67, which is recommended reading for anyone starting work on their player. Also you must read Rowe's long list.

As far as I can remember there's been no CD67 manual posted here, but it's mostly the same as the CD63. The muting circuit is different though I believe.

Simon

adfinni said:
:smash: :smash: :smash: My bad.
I really shold actually think before posting :rolleyes:

lol

It seems there are now a few of us with CD63 problems! I put my display-less 63 back together last night to play tunes for a mate and a couple of times it did the cutting out thing again. Very frustrating.

:att'n: To anyone thinking about embarking on a modding plan, please please take it very slowly and handle the pcb with kidgloves. It is extremely fragile and the player can stop working for no apparent reason. :att'n:

Simon

SimontY said:

lol

It seems there are now a few of us with CD63 problems! I put my display-less 63 back together last night to play tunes for a mate and a couple of times it did the cutting out thing again. Very frustrating.

:att'n: To anyone thinking about embarking on a modding plan, please please take it very slowly and handle the pcb with kidgloves. It is extremely fragile and the player can stop working for no apparent reason. :att'n:

Simon

Now now Simon you are making the Marantz pcbs sound cheap and crap!!!

Any pcb will develop problems if your are not entirely kind to it :smash:

I have had no problems other than the pesky ribbon connector which unfortunatly is not designed to be pluged and unpluged hundreds of times LOL

Thing is though you learn more from your mistakes which is a good thing ;)

Brent

Hey

I have been measuring voltages on my dead 63 today and have found out that the lines supplied by the glass resistors FH11/12 are dead. I can't get any voltage readings from these resistors or anything else after them.
My question is, when whatever blew around QM01, will it kill the voltages supplied after the component that blew, and still leave a circuit so that voltages can be read before the blown component.
I'm just wondering if it would be obvious that those glass resistors had gone, and should i get another pair? Which ones do you recommend i get if i do need them, and can i get them from maplins?
I ask, as im not sure if they are quick or slow blow, and what exact ratings i need other than what is listed in teh service manual (1.6A, T630ma?)

ta