Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

gy21 said:
Thanks SimontY

Maybe stupid question, but the - side of the cap goes to ground with the cap connected to + side of the opamp and to the + side goes to ground with the cap connected to the - side of the opamp, correct?

No problem. Your question is difficult to understand. I think you are suggesting one cap has the + lead of cap to voltage and the ground lead to ground, and the other cap has the ground lead to the voltage and its + lead to ground.

That's exceptionally unclear, but anyway, it's a split psu where there's + and - voltage, so one cap has the + side attached to the ground (anywhere on the player), and the other is connected as you expect. To be honest it confused me so I simply checked against the caps that supply it. The red Elna Cerafines on top I believe. All you are doing is repeating those caps but closer up to the chips.

Hope this helps.

Simon

adfinni said:
'Last night , they were all there '

You mean xd01, cd02/03, rd02?
With my audicom clock output in the top hole of cd01 and the gnd cable in thr right hand hole of cd03, obviously xd01, cd02/03 were removec, and rd02 also. U106 remained. Is that all correct?

Check the voltages around QM01, it controls speed.

Right was just testing things, and replaced R127/128 as they seemed to only produce a voltage reading on one side?

Q105: voltages seemed to be correct
QM01 and Q106 seemed to have 9V on pin 1's which should both be 0v

Played around a little more and something around QM01 just went BOOM, accompanied by some smoke signals :hot: I can even see the little indians down there dancing around the fire :firefite: :firefite: :firefite:

Thank god i just bought another cd-63 off ebay for £17 :D

This is fun

edit, i broke the quoting feature too so quotes are in red :rolleyes:

Hi.

Smoke, eh?

Some form of audio / visual experience ?
Did the smell enhance the music ?
What disks did you play ?

Wheels on fire - Brian Auger
Fire - Arther Brown
Light my fire - Doors

Seriously - bad luck !
A fortunate purchase on Ebay though !
R127 / 128 are safety resistors designated fuses on the component list.

I suspected something wrong as the - voltage on Q105 was at -7v according to your previous post - something drawing current.

When you get your new player, I would be very wary in replacing components with those from the now dead cdp.[clock and psu excluded]

Cheers and good luck

Andy

poynton said:

Only criticism - the lead to gnd should be as short as possible to minimise 'ground bounce' which is why smt caps are better - they get closer.

Andy

Morning Andy,

Yep, I know it's not perfect. The ones I did under my preamp opas are better, hehe. I didn't realise it was the ground connection that was especially important; I will bear this in mind from now on. Thanks.

Simon

poynton said:
Hi.

Smoke, eh?

Some form of audio / visual experience ?
Did the smell enhance the music ?
What disks did you play ?

Wheels on fire - Brian Auger
Fire - Arther Brown
Light my fire - Doors

Ye ye ye, rub it in! I actually had on one of my favourite albums; 'Fat of the land', and the only suitable track; Firestarter :hot:
The smell did enhance the music and my mood, as the smoke seemed to smell like incense.

Seriously - bad luck !
A fortunate purchase on Ebay though !
R127 / 128 are safety resistors designated fuses on the component list.

I suspected something wrong as the - voltage on Q105 was at -7v according to your previous post - something drawing current.

Well when i was checking voltages i heard a pop/spark, like i had accidentally touched 2 pins on QM01 with the multimeter probe (which i hadn't). About 3 seconds later the smoke starts bellowing from around R127/128 and QM01. I'm not sure exactly what went up.

[When you get your new player, I would be very wary in replacing components with those from the now dead cdp.[clock and psu excluded]

Cheers and good luck

Andy

Other than the clock + it's PSU, what other parts would you recommend i salvage, and which should be left. I will probably take out the op-amps and the caps around them, and probably the caps and schottky diodes in the PSU area. I'm not sure about C813-815?

Cheers

p.s. Thanks for the link where to get another CDM from :Popworm:

adfinni said:
[B
Other than the clock + it's PSU, what other parts would you recommend i salvage, and which should be left. I will probably take out the op-amps and the caps around them, and probably the caps and schottky diodes in the PSU area. I'm not sure about C813-815?
[/B]

Hi.

All the audio stuff should be ok. Check caps for shorts with a meter [don't forget the initial charging kick!] Also check diodes for short.

Andy

gy21 said:
Is it also an idea to mix dual opamps for Q605/Q606, to get benefits from both opamps?

Let's say an AD826 with an opa2134?

Any combinations that are tried?

Hi,

It seems to be an idea yes! It's been discussed, but it's hard to find things now the thread is so huge. Ray recommended, after very varied testing, OPA132 (2132 but single, not dual) and OPA627. You of course need a Browndog adaptor to fit two single opamps onto one DIL socket. I use 2x OPA627bp non-surface mount and love it (http://www.cimarrontechnology.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9).

http://www.cimarrontechnology.com/ for various adaptors. Most sensible one is the two surface mount one, which is smaller and will fit on better.

Btw, your question is confused. You can't use two different dual op-amps, unless you want left and right to sound different! To mix flavours you need to put two single op-amps on a single to dual adapter. I think to use AD825/6 you need a surface mount adapter.

Simon

gy21 said:
ah ok, yes I read somthing on mixing opamps, but it was only about single opamps.

now i know why ;)

one dual for lef one dual for right, I got confused.

Ok forget my post on this.

Oh well, it may have clarified it for somebody out there. My pre-amp has a dual for one stage and a 2nd dual for another, which could confuse me somewhat... (left and right in each op-amp chip)

SimontY said:

LOL, and you probably thought nobody read peoples' signatures!

Hehe. Nice spot simon. I was waiting to see how long it would take someone to see it :D

Andy, i got a reply from the cd63 seller about the player and it was pretty helpful, and explained what i already expected:

I bought it in 1996 and used it for 3 years, then it started to skip
when playing unscratched CDs. I had it serviced and the
engineer said it was just the slider guides that the laser sat on
that needed re-lubricated. It worked perfectly after that but I
haven't used it for years and the last time I did I noticed it
skipped twice on a CD I was playing. It could have been the CD
that time though, I didn't check. Hope this makes sense. Let me
know what you want to do.

adam

adfinni said:

Hehe. Nice spot simon. I was waiting to see how long it would take someone to see it :D

Andy, i got a reply from the cd63 seller about the player and it was pretty helpful, and explained what i already expected:

I bought it in 1996 and used it for 3 years, then it started to skip
when playing unscratched CDs. I had it serviced and the
engineer said it was just the slider guides that the laser sat on
that needed re-lubricated. It worked perfectly after that but I
haven't used it for years and the last time I did I noticed it
skipped twice on a CD I was playing. It could have been the CD
that time though, I didn't check. Hope this makes sense. Let me
know what you want to do.

adam

the new one might just need the lens cleaned:D

allan

SimontY said:
Hi,

Sounds rather like the common fault Brent's always banging on about... I'd expect him to chime in once he's finished upgrading various players, lol! :smash:

Simon

LMAO

Bang on time...

Its defo the guide bars. The grease goes dry.

But the engineer should not have lubricated the bars as it goes dry again in that old grease especially when stood. I have never had a problem with one that I have completely removed the grease on.

Its a very good traverse and the grease just causes problems.

Brent

Simon, i think im gonna take brent on at his mechanism fixing game. I might submerge the whole player in oil, ,then it will have all the lubrication it ever needs ;)

Allan, I cerainly won't be throwing it out. Spares will be easily had from it, especially replacements like the chips (Q105/106 etc, dac, servo, etc etc) and as you said soldering practise will be great.

Fixing it will be hard though :hot:

edit. Hey brent. Cheers for that advice, il remove all of the grease. Even though on my current player there doesn't seem to be much at all. Lucky me :)