Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Yes, I replaced the stock resistors with 12v regs, and yes it's the same PSU. Voltage to drivers is pretty much bang on +/- 12v. I wondered if it was a timing thing - e.g. a race between my servo clock PSU and the main smoother on the positive rail.

Anyway, I've broken something while playing around with it and can no longer read discs :-(

I wondered if it was a timing thing - e.g. a race between my servo clock PSU and the main smoother on the positive rail.

:-(

It could be that the clock psu takes too long to "boot up", I had similar problems once or twice before. There is a charge-time circuit with a 4.7uF cap (I think) near the decoder. Swapping that cap for a larger one 100uF or so lengthens the time the player takes to start up and can sort the issue.

Re: big tx + psu, I wholeheartedly agree - I have that too.
The charge time tweak sounds like a very plausible fix.
Unfortunately I have some other fault-finding to do and I have a bad feeling about it this time. I think the strain of larger components and attached wires has been too much on my PCB tracks. Is a CD63 PCB completely identical to a KI? I may need to do a rebuild using some of that black glue the cool kids use.

I have a phillips dvd763SA but this one has read errors, sometimes the player crashes and I need to get the plug out, have replaced the caps on supply, but maybe there are more.

I see the laserhead running from left to right and the rrrrrrr sound and back to the other side, this wil not stop anymore and I need a restart.

yesterday it did play a whole movie without issues, on a platinum disc who he did not want to swollow before the psu mod.

I try to find a firmware, but without succes because I think there is also a software issiue..

laserhead is oke, if playing I can,t only get him out of track if I hold my vingers on the dick stoppng him rotating, after let it go agein it retracks in microseconds and movie go on from there, all cables are checked, the flat cable from laser to board can maybe be broken, I did not find damage.

do someone now RA van der Steen email or internetpage?

thanks.

How you getting on Ben? do we have life yet? same PCB on 43,53,63,63se,63KI, all MKi & ii's. Thats why I've sold on the 2 KI's for massively over inflated prices and build using a 63 basic into a 67OSE chassis (its slightly wider). I can definitely not hear the difference the copper paint makes on the KI and I can live without the KI badge lmao

@kees, give up and replace it with a CD63!!!! Details of Rays site are on every post he's made!

Last edited:
There was a problem with supply, spikes of 1 volts present, it is now gone and it plays perfectly.

what is a CD63 oy rays, where to find. ahhh I see it is a marantz, also phillips, in the past it was
but now I don,t now.

dvd763 is a SACD player with modifications, that is why I try it, but I think remove the smps and do
a normal analog supply in it.

thanks.

Last edited:
OK, that was quick and easy with the benefit of some sunlight and some sleep. It turned out to be a hairline fracture on a pad leading to X'TAL supply on DAC. Faith restored. Thanks for the support as always. Hey, I got a 1ft of Mundorf Supreme solder in the mail this week. Might as well start on my DOS while I have everything out :)

Haha yes, oke, I have found that the laser is bad from the phillips, but I have found that a toshiba lens spu-3141 will work and is the same, also used in the xbox game player, and costs just 14.90 euros. original is not longer available, what bad after 2 years no spapre parts, it is a shame and not sustainable.

I did blow the laser with turn a little on the pots what sometimes works, but maybe laser was already damaged by someone else.