Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

CFP

Hope to get my output stage with the complementary feedback pair back in the player soon! One step forward, one back...
Cut 4 traces under each 6.2K resistors, added a 91R to the 820R to get to right value on top of the PCB. I wish I have the new PCB but that should work as good, even if does not look that good. And yes, how much I wish I did not try to change the Styroflex sheild's way... stupid!

Attachments

• CFP1.jpg
    CFP1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 175
  • CFP2.jpg
    CFP2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 167
Yes? Even my skills in styroflex destroying while trying to turn them? ;) I need to wait for my new parts from Pcx to come for impressions, sadly. Stupid me.
As for solder/iron I have no idea, I just use what I have in hands! I have a load of wintage pb/sn to melt here. I just feel the need of flux remover, I don't like these dirty spots, they don't help in checking things.
As I said to Ray, if it's 10% the price but 80% the sound then it's for me. Not more. Or later when I'm rich.

Hi, I put in the 8v regulators on the drivers ic's. The bass is much better now, but for the rest it sounds very flat and lifeless. There's less detail and I have the impression that some instruments in the music are almost gone. Is that normal or did I do something wrong? Didn't install the new caps yet (they are still in order).

I noticed some difference in the pictures of the pcb foto's on this forum and mine. I checked the schematics on:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/54009-marantz-cd63-cd67-mods-list-1578.html#post2474211 (see attachment also)

It seems that I connected it accordingly (output's to the ic's). The picture shows how I connected it. I removed r127/128/164 btw.

Did I install them the right way?

Attachments

• cd63 pcb regs drivers.jpg
    cd63 pcb regs drivers.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0943.JPG
    IMG_0943.JPG
    269.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 63 regs schema.jpg
    63 regs schema.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 143
As for my xp, I know that some mods remove some flaws, they don't get the player "better". At some point it sounds "less" because it has lost some "false". Then you need, I do mean need, to do some other mods to bring "true". Half way is not an option.
Don't know if I'm clear but at least for me.
As for bass the CD-63 SE wich I've said to do more bass it's loosy bass, my CD-43 sounds way better, the CD-63 SE is very unpleasant to listen to. A bass not low and too much present and with no form (bass guitars has no string sound, no wood nothing, almost like computer tone) the highs not very in the music, a bit like some loudness of paste packs of frequencies.
I've played Bach's organ pieces, unlistenable with the CD-63. My styroflex, quick!

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I agree... It took me some time and more than 19 mods to get the my CDP upright !

Sometimes I got extreme detail enhancements but loosing weight and sometimes the reverse. It is not simple but in the end it really is quite worth the effort.

I really enjoyed every step and got total support from the experts in this thread. ( One of the best in that respect :))

So much to do and so little time :D

Ricardo

Hi Chaps, I need some advice building my Kwak Clock 7 for my 67OSE, got all my parts but have a slight issue with one.

C16 and C17 in the KC7 circuit are 1uf polypropylene, the ones I ordered from Farnell (143-8471) are audio grade but HUGE.

Could you guys recomend another part or should I just use the ones I have.

Thanks in advance

Tom

CD57 power supply mod not successful ?!

I need a little help here.
For implementing a DOS I bought a CD57 and have started by modifying the power supply (diodes, large and small capacitors, regs) according to Ray`s list for the CD57. When switching on the Cd does not spin, dipslay is off but Q801 / LM317T runs very hot in seconds. I immediately switched off.
Anyone any idea what is wrong?
Thanks in advance.