Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

I'll try the K40Y-9 and Vitamin Q soon, but they come in small values so not in my CD-43.
As for the DOS output right now I'm just aiming at the Jantzen Superior Z Cap, according to my wallet they are expensive and not affordable right now. Yes the price is limited... by the money you do have!
A tiny MKP bypassed with teflon does it right now.
Don't give me the coupling cap fever again please!

I wanted to report on the CD-63 SE I'm modding.
Stock it's far better than a CD-53 or CD-43, and until now I've never had a chance to listen to a HDAM'ed player.

Now modding :) All these at once with no smoke (yeeesssss) plus some other caps and 317/337 at 15V for LM4562. Followed Brent's advice with ZLG 330/25V all around analog. Really not bad!

I'm listening at low volume now, but switched players. The SE seems to do the drums better, kick is here, far less on the CD-43, and seems to be a bit more dynamlc. Strings and balance is not as good as the CD-43, image is narower, low mids are missing. As the speakers don't do bass, is it a "boomy bass" at the drum kick that pushes some bass out of the speakers that I hear, or the CD-43 shows some weakness? Very hard to say as the room is not sounding good at all and I have lost a lot in changing of house. It's like the CD-43 is at pain when the CD-63 has power. I'm a bit sad, all that work on the CD-43...

Attachments

• CD63SE.jpg
    CD63SE.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
You should also use much larger value panasonic TSUP caps when replacing the psu smoothers. The original list has changed slightly ;-)

Personally I would use 10,000uF/25v on short leads to replace C803 and C804 but most importantly I would replace C813 & 814 with 22,000uF/16v panasonic TSUP. Again they will need to be on short leads and glued down but very much worth the effort. Given the relatively low cost of the parts involved, this would be very early on the list of to do's!!
no 1 on my list if you asked me 35v on the 803/804s major leap forward best mod ive done yet player came to life whats next . lol
regards alan

I'm as ignorant now as I was then! There's one in every crowd...who just follows where others lead (and cheerfully take my money:) ) I don't suppose those silver oilers will fit? Brent? I'm a sucker for new and better!!!

Those capacitors have to be mounted on the rear externally just like I do it. I would give your player a good few months for the sound to fully settle in first.

Brent

I'm pretty sure I'm good for four new tires...those BIG ones they favor up in the north country.
Mathieu; c'est vraiment bête qu'on ne peut pas pas faire connaissance (et comparer) J'ai une sainte horreur de long voyages et je suppose que 600km n'est pas une bagatelle pour toi non plus. I guess I'll pass on those caps. I don't want big bits hanging off the back!
Doesn't sound half bad as things stand and maybe there will be some more break-thru mods along the way that can be fitted nice and tidy inside. I still don't have a full compliment of S'regs so...

Last edited:
Funny you mention a 335D! I had a drag race during a fast ford photo shoot at Bruntingthorpe proving ground in October last year. I think they said the main striaght was 1.7 miles long!!! There was me in my 96 M3, and guy in a new shape fiesta with 4x4 Cosworth engine and running gear (quoting silly BHP) and the photographer in an unmarked 3 series estate. He'd said it was only just chipped but wouldn't say to what.

The fiesta got off 1st me 2nd and the photographer last. It took me to about 120 to get my nose in front of the fiesta. When I let off the pedal, the photographer in the BMW estate shot past like a rocket! I thought I'd left him miles behind but he was right behind me.

Finally he let on that it was a 335d with a chip up to approx 330bhp and over 650nm!

It was bloody fast!!!!

The guy I was with runs a MKI fiesta with a duratec lump. The photoshoot made the front cover a couple of months later!!! Dec10
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

hehe cool. That engine was 262 bhp std so 330bhp sounds about right for the mapping. The new shape 5 series 535d spec - Performance: 0-62mph in 5.7secs, max 155mph, 46.3mpg
Tech: 2993cc, 6cyl, RWD, 295bhp, 442lb ft, 1790kg, 162g/km CO2

My old derv is producing approx 270bhp & 400lb (193bhp std) now - which is nice

Might stick a KI badge on it to make it faster LMAO

Brent

Last edited: