Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

You should all buy low noise regs ;) Do it properly from the begining :p

Brent

:D:D:D:D:D

What can I say! Been there seen it done it got the T-Shirt......I would never contemplate putting 340's 7805's or even 317/337 regs in anything. Even the 317 tracking pre reg is nowhere near as good a decent linear low noise regs. The problem is they are considerably more expensive than std drop in replacements. Is it worth it? er....yes, by a long shot. It really does make a difference!:eek:

Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world
Aha-ahaaa
All the things I could do
If I had a little money

Ah yes but, you can research Andrew L Weekes and Walt Jung and build something yourself on veroboard for very little!!! As I say, it really is worth it!

The beauty of the commercial regs is the size making them easy to place right on the supply pin. I agree they are expensive but you dont need to buy 10 at a time. I have a mix of Brents, Audiocom and some that I have built. Some were cheapish some were more expensive. Some came from eBay 2nd had. Its all about building up over time just like the rest of the mods contained here! ;)

Ah yes but, you can research Andrew L Weekes and Walt Jung and build something yourself on veroboard for very little!!! As I say, it really is worth it!

The beauty of the commercial regs is the size making them easy to place right on the supply pin. I agree they are expensive but you dont need to buy 10 at a time. I have a mix of Brents, Audiocom and some that I have built. Some were cheapish some were more expensive. Some came from eBay 2nd had. Its all about building up over time just like the rest of the mods contained here! ;)

I've been trying to do that very thing. Also looking at peranders design as well.

Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world
Aha-ahaaa
All the things I could do
If I had a little money
You're giving me a guilty conscience! What can I say except I have been putting a little in over 5 years! The main advantage to that, aside from being financially "reasonable", is that as the years have gone by, so has the quality of the mods increased. I have had the interesting advantage of having a stock 63SE at my disposal to compare with Brent's (and Ray's)work on my 67' I suppose the avarage human bean would think the 63 sounded just fine but in fact it sounds awful in comparison. I found myself turning the sound way down and I couldn't listen to it for any length of time. It was dull, flat, mechanical, unresolving, totally emotionless and unmusical. The modded versions (well I have never heard a tricked-out 63' but I assume mine is now on a par with the best...excepting Brent's of course) are rich and organic and extended and make music. I want to say analogue-like, but that's not quite true. I don't believe it will ever equal a top-end TT but the difference in price in enormous. I think you would be talking 5,000 euros of fragile and tweaky, time-consuming TT/cart. to equal "our" old dears and then you would still have to get up and turn the damn record over and go thru the whole ritual endlessly. So mine is beginning to come back on song.

Does anyone know this Nichicon cap?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Nichicon Audio (M)

Rating
100uf 63v
85c
PET

Is this an audio grade cap with low ESR? Did a google found nothing and not even in Nichicon catalog.

Not sure to be honest. If Nichicon don't list it then it could be a fake.

Brent

Or maybe they are some custom re-sleeved type? Like the Marantz Elna 'For Hi-Fi'.

Is there some kind of date code stamped on? That way you can determine if they are old and worthless :D.

Ray

I thought those Elna for Hi-Fi are the real deal where Elna used to be the OEM tailor for specific custom rating. Seen alot of those Elna caps label for Kenwood, Pioneer and Yamaha.

Hi! there i bought an old stock MARANTZ CD 63MKII KI signature and the CD 63MKII it's brand new but old stock.. can you help me on how to modify it in good sounds quality....Thanks in advance...

Sure, welcome to this thread! You found the right place, that's a start!

I suggest you read a few of the last 10 or 20 pages first, as your question has been answered numerous times already recently. Reading the whole thread is a monstrous job :D.

Ray

I've been playing around trying to layout peranders regulator design for DIYing, and also at laying out Ray's clock. Is there any mileage in trying to combine the 2 (in place of the power supply in Ray's clock)?

I was also going to ask whether to try building 1 clock and dividing it to drive both DAC and servo, but looking around the forums the other day the answer seems to be to use 2 separate clocks because of grounding issues.