Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

I think you should use the thread seriously otherwise it loses it's nature. And after nearly 1590 posts it deserves more. 6h5c started a very good thread looking at mods for the cd63 series. I can understand deviations, but if we just discuss other things we can open a thead to do just that. Often one or two players will just be talking to each other, well, we have telephones and the internet for that, I know a few of you think this is your thread, but it is not. You may have contributed a lot, and I am sure everyone accepts that but if it degenarates into a chatter forum then we will lose the ideals of the MARANTZ CD63 and associated cd players. All this from an idiot who cannot fix he's Arcam 8SE. My best regards, Barry

I think you should use the thread seriously otherwise it loses it's nature. And after nearly 1590 posts it deserves more.

Aw, come on Barry don't be such a square.

Seriously though, I do believe that it's the relaxed manner and also the banter that goes between people on this thread that makes it so appealing to newcomers. Many people who have modded their players and got into diy audio and electronics in general have started here, and I do believe that it is because of the welcoming attitudes and not-too-much-overly-technical-talk that draws them here.

I know a few of you think this is your thread, but it is not.

I don't think anyone thinks this. I know I don't post much (too busy much of the time) but it's always appeared to me that everyone is welcome.

if it degenarates into a chatter forum then we will lose the ideals of the MARANTZ CD63 and associated cd players.

Admittedly it could go too far, lol. It does always come back to the cd63/7 talk though.

Lee.

Seriously though, I do believe that it's the relaxed manner and also the banter that goes between people on this thread that makes it so appealing to newcomers. Many people who have modded their players and got into diy audio and electronics in general have started here, and I do believe that it is because of the welcoming attitudes and not-too-much-overly-technical-talk that draws them here.

To be fair this thread has always had banter including Ray at times. It keeps the thread much less anal than a lot of other threads.

Further more, I can only think of one instance where the thread started to descend into a catfight (unlike other threads where it seems to happen on a regular interval). The culprit was subsequently banned from the forum.

Andy

Speaking as a relatively-new comer, I was both pleased and surprised at how relaxed and easy-going this thread was, from the start. As Brent said, a lot of this stuff can get anal and bitchy very easily. We have so far avoided that pitfall. I think the banter and chatter is a way of getting to know each other and put a bit of character to otherwise faceless entities. I suppose as well there's a point where as much tech-talk has been said as is possible though. Either "we" call it a day or continue to flesh this out with the occasional wittering, interspersed with talk about gubbins. I'm waiting as we speak for my Marantz to come back form Brent. Then it will be my turn to chatter! It just got here as I pushed the send button; woopie!

Last edited:
I mainly come here for the banter, given that I don't have a cd63 anymore :D

I do also like to keep abreast with developments and occasionally answer newbie questions, especially as this thread is what transitioned me from newbie asking questions to someone who answers (some of) them.

Thing is though, the CD63/7 platform has been modified to the hilt now and it's (almost) all been done. After nearly 16000 posts there's little hope of anyone actually reading it all through from scratch so I honestly don't see the problem if the S/N ratio drops off 1590 pages in. At least this forum doesn't send one e-mail per message posted else we'd have very full inboxes.

On-topic: well then Shepperd, initial impressions are...?

Simon

OMG it actually (still) works! This child of mine (well Brent is the godfather :D) has travelled between France and UK now 5 times! She really should have dual nationality. Lots of new gubbins in there and lots of hours to put in before I can get a handle on what has changed.

Glad it arrived ok. Much quicker than last time too.

Give the player a good 200hrs burn in time

Brent

200 hours it is then (sigh) Initial impressions? I still can't find the center of gravity! I think I'm going to glue some lead flashing I have to the bottom and try and get this thing ballanced right. Ok that's just to prove my degree in insanity. Thing is I am using a tripath amp as my beasty is in california (or on its way back by now)having a problem with its precious vol. pot sorted (way beyond my abilites...a resistor came unsoldered deep inside and there are a lot of them all tucked together) A nasty short insued leaving me with either full vol. or none.The T-amp is only 11watts and clips easily and doesn't have anything like the class and clout of mine so this is really only for burning in until. Brent, do I have that mod Mathieu just asked about?

Last edited:
..................Thing is though, the CD63/7 platform has been modified to the hilt now and it's (almost) all been done. ............

Oh, I don't know about that.

I guess most of the "conventional" tweeks have been done.
Maybe it's time for the more off-beat ideas.

I have mentioned a couple of times about scrapping the main board and building "modules". After all, the original board is the cause of many problems.

The front panel has not really been touched. How about adapting it so that it gives disk info? Grafting on the panel from another machine?

I am gathering bits for a top-loader machine.

A lot more to do yet, I think.

Andy