Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

6h5c said:
Hi Allan,

Cool links, thanks! I haven't been into solid state lately (gross understatement...) so these are very helpful.

I spent four hours listening last night, to determine the difference between two players (opamps vs. passive + transistor stage) and the winner is absolutely the transistor stage. The soundstage is more accurate, with better to pinpoint instruments. I thought I had lost some air or space, but it's there when it is supposed to be. With the opamps there seems to be more space all the time, and that sounds very cool at first. But it seems to lead to somekind of smearing in the soundstage, which makes everything less easy to pinpoint (am I still making sense???).

Regards,

Ray.

take a look at the LM394's dual matched.
old transistor still available, relatively cheap, saves matching transitors and i think pin compatable with bc54*/55* series :D
The MAT02's are newer devices, harder to get and pricey(for me)

allan
ps Yes your still making sense

Did my first coax upgrade. I did this one because it's the most important one, and because CDs were skipping a lot, and the sound was cutting out and giving me grief.

After some days of it not working (bird poo solder??) it's now working (sans-display, lol) and....

- the skipping is gone

- the timing, low bass impact and treble smoothness have been improved very nicely

Attachments

• done.jpg
    done.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 433
Nice work Simon!

Something I will definitely try (one day, if I ever get the chance).
Even using connectors, it needs to be done late on I think. Looks a bit bulky. Do those cables wobble much? Do they need damping?

Ordered the parts for my discrete output, based on Rays filter. I think that will be my next work on it.
Also bought some more caps for regulator stages :D

I heard once that Naim use two regulators in series (the first set to a higher voltage to the second) to improve performance. So going to consider that for the 12v rails, as I've done nothing to that yet - except bigger caps. I already have a dedicated regulated 15v PSU which I can regulate again to 12v (although 15V would work).

Cheers,
Phil

philpoole said:
Nice work Simon!

Even using connectors, it needs to be done late on I think. Looks a bit bulky. Do those cables wobble much? Do they need damping?

Ordered the parts for my discrete output, based on Rays filter. I think that will be my next work on it.
Also bought some more caps for regulator stages :D

I heard once that Naim use two regulators in series (the first set to a higher voltage to the second) to improve performance. So going to consider that for the 12v rails, as I've done nothing to that yet - except bigger caps. I already have a dedicated regulated 15v PSU which I can regulate again to 12v (although 15V would work).

Cheers,
Phil

Phil

I have used a pre reg on my clock psu. You can use caps around the reg to filter noise.

Also both regs are not having drop the input voltage as much and will work that little bit cooler.

Brent

philpoole said:
Nice work Simon!

Hi Phil,

I agree, it's to be done late. I've done many mods already, and I suspected the HF signal was causing trouble (seems it indeed was), so I had to try it really! The performance difference seems to be significant - cymbals are less like white-noise and the sound is generally more 'analogue'. The treble is approaching the quality of the bass, altho the bass is better now too! The parts don't wobble now that I've glued both pcb-connected parts with lots of hot-melt glue. I'm tempted by the other coax swaps now, but I think I'll leave those till after my psu seperation and beefing upgrades.

cymbals are less like white-noise and the sound is generally more 'analogue'

Cymbals and percussion really are the most noticeable when things improve, in my opinion. I think its (one) really good way of measuring the quality of audio.

I cannot recommend improving the power rails enough, even with 30p 7805s! I'm almost as addicted as Brent in that area (although in a cheaper way).

Brent,
Good point about cooler regs when in series. Definitely considering it, I do have some 15v regs kicking about too...

Cheers,
Phil

philpoole said:

Cymbals and percussion really are the most noticeable when things improve, in my opinion. I think its (one) really good way of measuring the quality of audio.

I cannot recommend improving the power rails enough, even with 30p 7805s! I'm almost as addicted as Brent in that area (although in a cheaper way).

I find the bass often improves, but the treble getting half good feels like a real landmark.

I'll get onto the regs, hopefully next week. I'll start just using the 20vdc in the player to feed some. I will ultimately have a big external psu to feed the DAC psus, and some others. Then I think I'll not do much else to it. (yeh, right!)

philpoole said:

Brent,
Good point about cooler regs when in series. Definitely considering it, I do have some 15v regs kicking about too...

Cheers,
Phil

phil
if using the 317's
use a separate (away from capacitor) earth point for the adjust earth and listen.

allan

I'll get onto the regs, hopefully next week. I'll start just using the 20vdc in the player to feed some. I will ultimately have a big external psu to feed the DAC psus, and some others. Then I think I'll not do much else to it. (yeh, right!)

Simon, if you use the rail that feeds the originally 5v reg than it should be less than 20vdc (I can't remember the exact figure). Using a lower voltage should make the job of the regulator easier - but it should be a bit higher than 5v so the reg works properly.
The regulator would get hotter otherwise, wasting current.

I think best improvements came from all the individual DAC PS lines, and also the decoder lines (which surprised me). I just can't stop now. must add more regs... I'm addicted.

phil
if using the 317's
use a separate (away from capacitor) earth point for the adjust earth and listen.

allan

Allan, I'm using fixed regs at the moment, but I am interested in seperating the earths (I think it was mentioned earlier on the thread asn't it?) to hear the improvements.

I've got I think 7 extra 5v regs at the moment, I think I have scope to add a few more ;)

Cheers,
Phil