Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

That's very progressive. At least it will compensate for the poor insulation :D

Here in Holland we don't have enough space for such big fields, so in the case of the City of the Sun they use the roofs of the houses. But I think there will be an endless (political and environmental...) debate here between pro's and con's if someone ever got the idea of building something like this. It's the same with wind turbines: the people say they are ugly and polluting the landscape, but on the other hand no-one really wants to consume less energy.

Ray

Last edited:
TX went out?

Hey guys, I recently started modding my cd63 again (after 2years ). I installed a 5v teddyreg on d811 about 2 weeks ago and the improvements were great, along with the teddyreg I also installed 5v regs directly to dac and servo, according to Simons examples, while waiting for the rest of components to come in to put together more teddyregs that would replace them.

Last night I put together 12 volt teddyregs that was gonna go directly to opamps, while powering the cdp to test the output voltage on the teddyregs, I found that the tx was no longer putting out the 18v it was normally doing but now 2-3volts and it got very hot also.

Do you think my tx is done? if it it done where to get a replacement? or rebuild the PSU separately? the latter would be my last resort because of costs but would seem fun.

The evil spirit of the TX striked again?
Maybe the TeddyReg is faulty?

Q, as for LME49720, when from 15V regulated via TL431 to 18V with superreg, worth it?
Q, BG std, any cap more dynamic at anlog places? Got some at DAC analog, DOS, preamp opamps. If a place deserve something else to give more rythm it'll be nice, like Muse KZ with PPS bypass, ZA with no bypass or such.

Thanks!
Matthieu

(nb: will hack the CD40 for spare parts, sell CDM4 and DOS, get OsCon & Super regs. Here they go in the CD43).

Joined 2006
Paid Member
What do you mean by more rythm ?

BG STD has a typical very detailed but full sound.
BG N is even better IMO because it is more "even"
ZA are outstanding in the highs but somehow lack bass in some aplications.
Muse have the most powerfull bass but highs tend to be muffled... needs a bypass but that causes fase distortion.
I really like SilmicII.... outstanding bass and mids producing a very agreable sound.... but lacks the BG transient capability.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
As you know, a short circuit in the mains is enough to kill a TX secondary winding.

If the TX is the stock one, it has various other windings.... are these working ok ?

A hot TX might mean a short in the output.

As for the BG.... it is a pitty they are discontinued.

Best replacement might be the silmic but these do not have those beautifull highs.

ok I got some readings from the components,

+12v

d44h11 317
b c e adj out in
6.7 22.1 22 21.7 22.1 23.5

sk117
s g d
6.7 5.6 22.1 this teddyreg is output 6.1v

-12v

d45h11 337
b c e adj in out
-2.7 -22.2 -2.1 -21.8 -23.7 -22.2

2n5460
s d g
-2.7 -22.2 -1 this teddy output -2.1

the 5 volt teddyregs I put together started right up, these are a pain:mad:

Any of the readings look out of ordinary?

wendell

Hi Wendell,

At first glance, it looks like your LM317/337's are not doing much, because the voltage difference between 'in' and 'out' is very small, barely 1.5V. These regulators need a bit more to regulate properly.

The +12V version has 6.7V and 22.1V on the base and emitter, this should be ~0.6...0.7V voltage drop if the transistor is working correctly. Could be a short somewhere, or maybe a wrong measurement?

Pinning of the 2N5460 is DSG and 2SK117 is DGS, could this be the problem in the negative version?

Ray