Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
My only issue is that this mod is not proved to work in every case (so I am led to believe), maybe due to the voltage headroom????. As you say, they'd need to be LDO. Personally I cannot comment because I've never tried it (although I did buy the regs to do it ages ago!!).

This is why I did not try it also.

Funny I also bought the regs long ago :)

OK! Since it was mentioned! I did it!!!

6 regs on the driver ic's. I've done exactly what Simon has been doing of late and removed the resistors and dropped the reg in using the screen as the earth. For the leftmost driver ic I shortened the wire links as I couldn't find the resistors as shown on the the circuit diagram.

As a pic tell a thousand words

CD63driverregs.jpg

and

CD63regs.jpg

The player is still a bit shouty for my main system but it awesome on the dinning room system which is much more forgiving! definately worth the 45mins to fit the £2 cost of the parts! if you've not done it DO IT!!!:D

OK! Since it was mentioned! I did it!!!

6 regs on the driver ic's. I've done exactly what Simon has been doing of late and removed the resistors and dropped the reg in using the screen as the earth. For the leftmost driver ic I shortened the wire links as I couldn't find the resistors as shown on the the circuit diagram.

As a pic tell a thousand words

CD63driverregs.jpg

and

CD63regs.jpg

The player is still a bit shouty for my main system but it awesome on the dinning room system which is much more forgiving! definately worth the 45mins to fit the £2 cost of the parts! if you've not done it DO IT!!!:D

Could you give the locations (items replaced) for each of the regs please? Are all earthed to a star ground?

You can remove the "shouting" by reclocking AND powering the decoder with dedicated psu + regs.

Already done Ricardo, I guess I'm just happier and more used to the sound of a 1541 these days!!!:)

Could you give the locations (items replaced) for each of the regs please? Are all earthed to a star ground?

they all run off the +/-10v rails. For the negs i used std 7908's and the pos I used LDO versions of 7808's. each of the driver ic's has a resistor or link feeding them. Remove the resistor and use it to supply the reg. put the output in the other hole created when you removed the resistor and connect the remaining pin to the earth screen on the top of the board.

I do use a star earth in this player but i didn't bother here.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My 67' is on its way home from another trip to the UK. This time is has the DOS board ( Ray's creation and workmanship) and all the latest gubbins from Rowemeister like the SI caps) Thanks guys! This should be very interesting. I think I've come to the end if what I want to invest in this museum piece (famous last words...). Oh and I finally got rid of that disgraceful stock power cord and it's been replaced with something more appropriate (from Grover Huffman) and soldered directly to the board. No messing around here! After the appropriate burn-in I will report back. Thanks guys (especially Ray who took the time for me...there is a life outside audio...we sometimes forget!) I hope this thread isn't winding down, although it's hard to see where it can go furhter, but it's been a hell of a ride!