Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

So says the expert "Pad-Lifter" !!

Seriously, if you don't already own a soldering iron, get a good temperature controlled version with interchangable bits.

Then get a scrap amp / cd / radio or something and PRACTICE until you can remove and replace components without damage.

Use lead / tin solder NOT lead-free or silver solder and solder wick.

Andy

Sent off my 67' to Brent (Rowemeister for those who don't know his alter-ego) for a full monty: Ray's DOS board and various other gubbins and magical bits, including (finally) a good (I hope) power cord to be properly installed. Here's hoping it gets there safely and back home again. I've been using the same battered box for years...it seems to bring good luck! I'm a lazy, no good s.o.b who let's others do all the work...well some of us have two left thumbs and too many unseemly incidents with hot irons to take any more chances. Anyway this is for the pros. I will report back when it all happens. I'm chasing after Brent's cdp, and Ray's and Simon and whoever else. I'll get there eventually.

Yours will be plenty better than my last one by the sounds of it. My recently modded CD63 is a base model and only has one extra power transformer and one S Power reg. It has lots of tweaks though and they certainly do add up!!

The Arcam Alpha I'm doing for myself, however, will not lay down and be attacked by predatory machines of a more modern era. It's rather good.

Hello everyone,
I am sorry if this has already been asked in one of these 1440 pages, but I did a search a found nothing.

I own a quite heavily modded CD67-SE (along the guidelines by 6h5c). I have 2 LM6172s running now and find them quite pleasing.

Now, I just received 2 samples of LT1028 and 2 of ADA4627. I am now waiting for the Browndog adapters.

The real question is, based on your experience, how would you use them?
LT1028 just after the DAC and then ADA4627 or viceversa?

I am afraid of trying both ways, desoldering SOIC op-amps would scare me a little.

If useful for any advice, I like the sound (especially for sources) to be as detailed as possible.

Thank you very much,
Chris

Are you working on an original Alpha, or an Alpha 5 ? You've seen the thread on DEM reclocking I assume ?

Original Alpha but I believe both players use the same chipset. I've read a bit about DEM reclocking (I've read some of the thread) but I see it as an extra little tweak to do after the big ones (power supplies, output stage, new clock feeds for the 3 chips).

Sorry for OT.

Simon

Hi all, I'm new here in CD63, a friend want to have TOS-tube out stage..(too bad not the DOS...), measuring DAC Vout after lifting R's to the opamp and hdam with CD test track 500Hz -0db, gives 0.84Vrms..is this normal or is there other ways to make it higher without the opamp? data sheet says 2.2V, TIA

cd63dacout.th.jpg]
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Last edited:
I think I saw somewhere that a high impedance DMM should be used to read voltage on some points, make sens here? (yep I'll be banned coz my inputs are odd seems!).

As a side note, only for the sake of the music, why changing tires before the wheels alignement and engine tune-up? No pain no gain, a direct TOS will let you hear more clearly the crap from upstream...

Second side note, how much gain in SQ going SuperReg on the SAA7345 filter here? Right now only on the DAC. Listening to that player right now, I'm amazed by the depth and clarity the TDA does not have (at least with my simple R as passive I/V and Fet output). Won't the SM5872 deserve a legend status as the TDA does? I love my CD43! No "god" TDA1541 wich makes you want to sell your former... overstated status for me (or under-rated NPC's chips!)

Matthieu

whoaa...so I'm not totally wrong then posting the TOS thing here, Matthieu - this is my first mod encounter with marantz & SAA chips, reading all 1440 pages is impossible for me :), so any inputs and advice from you guys are really appreciated.

Now I'm worried about 'crap from upstream', what shall I do with it also are there anything else to watch out..thanks again

TeguhPS

Put separate voltage regulators on every circuit you can find! This is a very cheap, very effective upgrade, it will blow you away. You'll need about 10 or so regulators, mostly +5V. In particular regulating the servo driver op-amp supplies pays huge dividends. Re-clock the DAC (16.9mhz) AND the servo (8.46mhz). Then you are ready for a good output stage.

Simon

Last edited: