Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Hi there,
with all 5V/10V/12V now OK, even the one with broken track at Decoder's analog, tracking and disc play is ok but just a "ploc" noise on each channel and no sound.
Unfortunately it was just a "fix the DOS tight in the player" operation before selling all the audio stuff, now selling a dead top player will be just loosing money and time. I almost touched nothing but broke it.
If any clue to find the problem please let me know. I think the decoder did not liked much the bouncing 5V at the broken track.

Matthieu

Yes you can use decoder from a CD43. You need a small thin tip on your soldering iron. Add some flux and slowly lift each leg with the tip of the iron. If you don't get it hot enough you will rip off a pad and if you over heat it the pad may come loose. Take your time. Once both chips are off and the legs clean on the known good decoder use a flat blade screw driver and bend the legs back down so that it is ready to fit. Clean any blobs of solder etc off the pcb. Place chip carefully and tag it into place by soldering at least 2 end pins. Apply more flux and solder the chip. You should be able to flow the solder across the legs with the aid of the flux. It really is a practice makes perfect job

Brent

When lifting those chips, I alway run a strand of wire behind the legs. Then pull it out between the pad and leg as I move the iron along the legs. If you do that a couple of times on each side the chip will lift. Becarefull as the chip is glued to the board. Only prise it off one you are sure all the legs are completely unsoldered. Funny becuase I replaced the decoder and servo chips in mine earlier this week trying to solve my error 10!

I though you used one of these Ian -
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
17783-pneumatic-breaker-tca-7-1.jpg

Brent

Last edited:
Well, it seems it's possible to swap the decoder then. I may have a try even if I've no taste in such things these days.
I was thinking of a faster way : cut legs as short as possible near the dead Deco, cut them as long as possible on the good; bend it a little : even with no soldering it should work...

I'm not convinced this will give you a reliable solution.

I'd remove and re solder the new chip!