Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

This how my player currently looks, clock going in later (i hope)

Ian

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 169
Aha. I'm playing about with it now. I tried hooking dac straight into tx and got distortion, hopefully that's down to load so I'm playing with various resistors to see if I can eliminate it. I've tried with the dos filter, but am getting strange results as I've had to lower the 2k4 input resistors and I think it's messing with the filter slope.

Lee.

Yes, that is down to the load. The DAC likes to see an opamp :D.

Yes, the 2k4 directly messes with the filter slope :D

Ray

Some parts left over from the last mod and it works 1st time :cloud9:

Result: definately better, much cleaner sound especially on the mids/highs, bass may be a little tighter, more controlled

Thanks to all you guys, i just performed open heart surgery on a cdp:worship:

Next up the servo is about to get re-clocked

Ian

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 116
Yes, that is down to the load. The DAC likes to see an opamp :D.

Yes, the 2k4 directly messes with the filter slope :D

Ray

Hehe, nothing's ever easy, cheers Ray.

I've sorted it now though, and I have to say I've never heard anything quite like it before. Will be interesting when my audio transformer arrive to hear how much better they are.

I now only have two caps in the signal path from Dac to Power amp, and they just shunt/cancel noise to gnd.

Cheers, Lee.

Servo re-clocked

Result hard to say which clock altered the sound the most....
Just to say i'm happy now:D:D:D
I can't use too many fluffy terms, in builders speak "sounds like the music had a wash" Lol
Background noise level seems better, instuments are clearer,more open and better placed. Bass has lost its boom and now "fits" into the track, vocals more forward in presentation.

Only down/upside is i seem have damaged the rca on the right my home made interconnect has always been very tight...They were always gonna go anyway.
Can i take the centre connection straight from where the HDAM bypass starts? Then GND the outer?

Thanks again Ian

Thanks again guys

After a long conversation with Lee the other day (about TX output stages!!) I decided to blow the dust of my 63 and have a play.

Seeing as I robbed it of all the regulators, I set about hooking the 5v side back together. On the bench, all was fine. I used the servo clock to clock both the DAC (off the 16mhz xtal) and the servo off the /2 buffer and all seemed good.

I then introduced 5 x lm317 based regs on their own psu's and seperate tx.

Since outting it all back together the disc wont spin! I can hear the laser focus but there's no drive to the motor. In service mode it's giving me error 10 which is a raduis error.

I've swapped the servo chip and the decoder chip (very tricky!!!) but the fault is still the same. Looking at the sm, it looks like the motor is controlled by the decoder (via the driver chip). The only other area that I could poss think the problem might be is in the HF amp area. I'll carry on looking but any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!

Keep up the good work guys!

Nice work on the clock Ian - Clocking the Servo as well is a good step up!

Ian

Last edited:
Okie dokie! Back in business! :)

I'll point out the incredibly obvious as you never know when that may help.
Simon

Never worry about the obvious! If I had a pound for everytime I've not seen the wood for the tree's I'd buy everyone on the thread a nice shiney Phonosophie player :D

Are all of your 5V rails putting out close to 5V under load / when trying to read the disc?

Does pressing on either ribbon connector make any difference? The front one can be tested by unplugging and turning the player on - it should play the disc automatically.

Simon

I checked the rails for dropping under load and all was good. I also tried 2 different ribbons just in case!

My theory on the HF amp area was correct. In my hunger to split the rails as much as possible, i'd got half of the area working off the main 5 v reg and the other half working off one of the new regs. I replaced R505 so the area works off the main reg and its all working again!

Been sweating on this since yesterday lmao! Can play with some TX's now!!!

Cheers guys