Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

padman said:
Simon you mentioned making ics is this the right type of silver cable?

That stuff looks good, use it if your system's already well balanced and you favour extreme detail. In a poor system this type of wire (unless using many braided / litz runs) can sound pretty rough. Use pure copper and polyethylene for a richer tonal balance and less detail, or copper/teflon for a mix of the above.

UV101 said:
(may as well pay Lee or Brent, it'll end up in their pocket one way or another)!!!!!! lol :cannotbe:

I know the feeling, I have a "Lee bill" of about £100 each month!! He's cheap though :)

Simon

...so i got some Burson op-amps and installed them in my 67 - and ran into trouble. My LT1085 / 1033 - regs are getting extremely hot now and even with small heatsinks i can barely touch them. The interior of the player gets also heated up ;:hot: ; the only way to get the whole thing going is with the lid open....:xeye:
Has anyone any idea what went wrong? Are these Bursons drawing that much current? They are getting pretty warm as well.
Sound is also pretty much disappointing, no match for the LME49720HA so far; the Bursons sound shut in, midrange kind of veiled, edgy treble, compressed dynamics. Help...help....

Best regards,
Mickie

Odd, the Bursons will draw more current than normal op-amps but your regs should be ok (from a quick Google search). Does the output voltage on either regulator sag a lot?

Bursons don't sound wide open and bright, so I hope you didn't want that. They sound natural and dynamic to these ears. A moderate step-up from LME49720HA in CD63SE or Philips CD650 (ones I've personally heard them in).

Simon

I've been letting the LME49720HA burn in and not sure what to make of them.

They are very clean, polished and detailed, but give you lots of detail rather than any musical enjoyment.

Quite thin sounding so far. Hopefully some warmth will appear at some point.

It's immediately apparent when switching back to 2xAD825 or AD8065+AD8610 combo, both of which do bass much better.

But I can see why detail junkies might appreciate it, but to me, so far, it just sounds very unbalanced.

hi...thank you both for responding;
Simon: No, output voltages seem stable at 12.1V as they used to be. Maybe something is oscillating..?
The problem is, i can't fit big heatsinks, not enough space.
And the heat is putting all other heatsinked regs and caps under stress. On the other hand, i could use this setup to cook my lunch...:clown:

Glenn2: Yes, perception is subjective; i'm fighting for some time now to get some "musical flow" and "balance" out of my 67; i checked AD8620, OPA827 and the LME49720HA which sounded the most "interesting", still too crispy at all, thats because i tried the Bursons...and i find them...veiled..not clear sounding. Some people might confuse it with "musical" appearance...

If you have more input, please let me know; i'm not ready to give up on the Bursons yet.

Regards,
Mickie

mickie said:
...so i got some Burson op-amps and installed them in my 67 - and ran into trouble. My LT1085 / 1033 - regs are getting extremely hot now and even with small heatsinks i can barely touch them. The interior of the player gets also heated up ;:hot: ; the only way to get the whole thing going is with the lid open....:xeye:
Has anyone any idea what went wrong? Are these Bursons drawing that much current? They are getting pretty warm as well.
Sound is also pretty much disappointing, no match for the LME49720HA so far; the Bursons sound shut in, midrange kind of veiled, edgy treble, compressed dynamics. Help...help....

Best regards,
Mickie

Seems odd, Brent dropped some bursons into a 63 at his workshop the other day. We did a back to back comparion against the LME49720HA. Although it was just a quick demonstation for comparison, I'm sure it would have been noticed if it was getting as hot as you are suggesting.

The Burson's were worlds in front of the tin hat opamps in every respect, detail, space, punch, you name it.

I think there must be an issue elsewhere??:smash:

Ian

Glenn2 said:

They are very clean, polished and detailed, but give you lots of detail rather than any musical enjoyment.

Quite thin sounding so far. Hopefully some warmth will appear at some point.

................. it just sounds very unbalanced.

This sort of comment is often stated not only for this change but for other opamp changes.

Sometimes the change has revealed a previously unheard imbalance.

Andy

The Bursons give the exact same presentation as a DOS. Open, natural, dynamic and very musical.

Yes they draw more current than the 'normal' opamps but only a little more.

Working voltage: +/-12-25v DC
Current Draw: 25mA (each module)

I think you have an issue somewhere :smash:
Is there a dc output on the bursons?

NOTE:- Burson recommend 100 hours burning in but I find them uber when also fresh.

Brent

Agreed, the 4562 and shiny happy versions just let it all through IMO. In the case of the CD63/67 that means a slightly analytical, cool sound IMHO. The presentation of 4562/Bursons/Ray-discrete is all just about identical tonally, the differences lie in dynamics, bass power and a more or less laid back character. I don't think the Bursons or discrete sound much more open than op-amps, but this is just my opinion. If you want open sound you must upgrade your power supplies, speakers, all passive components and all wiring.

If Bursons "sound shut-in" you have a problem... elsewhere.

Simon

hi again and thanks for your comments.
Yes i agree, i might have an issue here. But what is it? I don't think the bursons reveal unbalance/problems which were always there and somehow have been counteracted by the various op-amps i tried. I did some more listening last night and yes, it still sounds "wrong", kind of muffled. I believe it has something to do with the regs running extremly hot. On the other hand nothing has burned up yet, everything seems to work fine.
Maybe the regs behave normal; i have a custom made toroid transformer which has 17,4V and 400mA per winding for analoge; after rectification and smoothing there are 27V input voltage for the regs; bringing it down to 12V, the power is converted into heat, but the regs never got so hot that i had to heatsink them.
Honestly, i can't pin-point the problem...
I still have coupling-caps and an output-resistor of 47R but NO resistor to ground (100K usually). Could that be a problem?
The output stage has Bessel characteristics, according to Ray's modlist.
I try to measure dc-offset later on.
Regards,
Mickie

OK, dc-offset is about 26mV each.
Is the voltage drop that crazy? I mean if you put an 7805 on the 12V line you drop about 55% of the voltage and the same relation is given on 27V > 12V....no?
The next step is to try my old 78/7912, see what happens. Remeber: i never had overheated regs before using op-amps..but...surely they draw less power.
Are you sure about +/-18V? I think the Bursons are limited to +/15V?

cheers,
Mickie