Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Don't be disheartened, just keep practising. It's really hard and it can help a lot to watch an old hand in action. It's taken me ages to get half-decent at soldering. Removing stuff can be really difficult, but here's a trick - sometimes it's best simply to flow fresh solder in (lots) and get it nicely hot and slip the component out quickly. This works on items with 2-3 pins like caps and regulators. With caps, of course, the leads tend to be flexible so you can do one at a time. This can lead to pad-lifting, but not when you get a feel for the work. Some joints are stubborn and not all will behave the same...

Silicone-tipped pump helps a load. Desoldering wick is all but pointless. Lead-free solder is rubbish. Keeping the tip clean (a tissue or kitchen roll is ideal) is essential. Clean it after every move, it makes all the difference. Also have at least two tip sizes - bigger for jobs where the piece heatsinks the solder, and smaller for more delicate work.

My hat goes off to Brent who taught me everything I know :cool:

(Even if he is the most sarcastic person outside of that episode of Father Ted I've ever met).

edit: it's the episode "Kicking Bishop Brennan Up the Ars*" - superb

its all about the flux man!

The flux is what draws the solder into the braid, the solder on the tip allows the heat to transfer into the joint to be de soldered.

With clean braid and solder the old solder on the joint will be drawn up into the braid.

Practice practice practice! You will get there.

Work on some old boards that are not important. you can improve technique enableing you to confidently have a go on you cdp!

Ian

I agree,
to me braid delivers very good results. But make sure you get a good one. I bought some cheaper one some time ago and it hardly has any flux on it. Putting flux on the tip and braid additionaly helped a lot. And for small parts make sure the braid is a thin one! Also set your iron's temp high to make desoldering action fast to avoid overheating sensible parts. For bigger parts like in a power amp psu, you need a lot of heat anyway :)

regards,
pawel

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Look for Rothenberger "Lotwasser"... it is a liquid flux that is sold in a small plastic can with a brush.

You can paint the braid with it before removing solder... it works.

The best way I found is to paint the solder joint you want to remove, heat it and use the pump at the same time.

It took me a while to be able to master this tech but experience matters in this case.

"keep pushing"

Ricardo

rowemeister said:
I have met Ian (UV101) twice this week who popped into see me while in Doncaster on business. He is a top bloke who definitely has the modding bug.

He had a listen to a modded CD85 and also to a 63SE running HA opamps and then Bursons.

Always good to put a face to a name

Brent

Thank you and ditto!

I gotta have me some of those Bursons in my cd960!
:smash:

Thanks for the tips guys :) I was tryin to put the whole tip over the solder to suck it on up!!:xeye: :xeye:

Think i will wait for the lead solder and invest in a better iron :)

Any news on the pp for parts Ian? Not that i need em yet :)

Simon you mentioned making ics is this the right type of silver cable?

Thanks again Ian