Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

paronaram said:
I was thinking to get transformer like this
http://www.conectro.by/datasheet/48_E130_10.pdf one.
(but from Digi-Key, I have seen them they are in blue casing surface mount), what do you think this will do the (low noise) job?

Any transformer will do almost equally well for a clock, as long as it's small enough to fit in the player. The primary benefit of running it from its own supply is that it can't pollute other supplies.

With that said 1.5VA is very small, so please check the current draw of the clock you intend to use.

Simon

You just have to get the size of the file right.

You were correct - AC in

So the output goes to XTi and ground to ground near the original clock. see previous posts for ideas

Attachments

• clock-kit.jpg
    clock-kit.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 258
fossil2k said:
Some of the chokes need ferrites, what are the size to use? Also, 100nF polyphenylene sulphide capacitors for C611~C614 is hard to get. Any replacement?

Hi,

The ferrites are a single tubular style, with a hole diameter of 1 ~ 1.5mm. Length is about 3 ~ 4mm (use two) or 8mm. (use one).
The 100n PPS can be replaced by a common 100n polyester/MKT SMD film cap in 1206 case, or dirt-cheap 100n X7R 1206 ceramics.

Regards,

Ray

Glenn2 said:
I agree with Simon - I'd be surprised if the DAC had half-failed in such a way.

If it affects both channels in exactly the same way then it could be the +12V/-12V to the op-amps, or the +5V to the DAC analogue pins.

You can eliminate the DAC from your enquiries by listening to the signal straight from the DAC. Do it after the first RC on each of the four analogue outputs LO/LON/RO/RON, and use a cap (say 10uf, + end to DAC, - end to amp) to connect to your amp.

Easiest way would be to solder in four wires, one to each of those resistors so you can get at them easily with the player running.

If all of these signals sound OK you'd be saving yourself a whole heap of aggro coz it ain't the DAC!

Good luck...

Glenn

Luck run out on me. I have just tried "listening" direct from LO/LON/RO/RON and it still sound the same. I think changing the DAC is a must now.

6h5c said:

Hi,

The ferrites are a single tubular style, with a hole diameter of 1 ~ 1.5mm. Length is about 3 ~ 4mm (use two) or 8mm. (use one).
The 100n PPS can be replaced by a common 100n polyester/MKT SMD film cap in 1206 case, or dirt-cheap 100n X7R 1206 ceramics.

Regards,

Ray

Thanks Ray. But before I do this, I will have to solve the distorted sound problem first.

Can anyone tell me why, when I connect my cd63 to my preamp using cables that are connected at both ends with signal and earth, I get a massive hum sound? The music is also present.

But, if I connect using interconnects which only have the gnd wires connected at the source end the sound is perfect.

I'm confused over this. My cd94 is perfect no matter which cable. Oh and only one piece of kit (the power amp) is connected to safety (house) earth

Any ideas guys?

Lee.

Thomo said:
Can anyone tell me why, when I connect my cd63 to my preamp using cables that are connected at both ends with signal and earth, I get a massive hum sound? The music is also present.

But, if I connect using interconnects which only have the gnd wires connected at the source end the sound is perfect.

I'm confused over this. My cd94 is perfect no matter which cable. Oh and only one piece of kit (the power amp) is connected to safety (house) earth

Any ideas guys?

Lee.

I dunno mate but that's well dodgy. The sound shouldn't really work with no ground I'd have thought, so investigate if ground is somehow connecting the two elsewhere (sounds like you've ruled that out though). :bawling:

Simon

Sorry your luck ran out.

Make sure you check the DAC analogue voltage is 5v, by the way.

If you're going to replace the DAC chip from a 2nd-hand donor player you may as well just replace the whole main board. Much easier and no danger of damaging the chip then.

There is a final, dirt-cheap way to see if the data going to the DAC is OK without needing an external DAC. Find a TDA1543 dac chip. I bought some a while back and they are only about 2 GBP each. Should be easy to source.

All you need do is connect the I2S lines (the bit clock, left/right clock and data) to the corresponding pins on the TDA1543, feed it 5v, connect up three resistors and two caps on the output (all easily put together on veroboard in no time). If this sounds crap too then something else has fried.

You may even prefer the non-OS TDA1543 sound... plenty of people do... and make sure it's a TDA1543 and NOT a TDA1543A.

Glenn2 said:
Sorry your luck ran out.

Make sure you check the DAC analogue voltage is 5v, by the way.

If you're going to replace the DAC chip from a 2nd-hand donor player you may as well just replace the whole main board. Much easier and no danger of damaging the chip then.

There is a final, dirt-cheap way to see if the data going to the DAC is OK without needing an external DAC. Find a TDA1543 dac chip. I bought some a while back and they are only about 2 GBP each. Should be easy to source.

All you need do is connect the I2S lines (the bit clock, left/right clock and data) to the corresponding pins on the TDA1543, feed it 5v, connect up three resistors and two caps on the output (all easily put together on veroboard in no time). If this sounds crap too then something else has fried.

You may even prefer the non-OS TDA1543 sound... plenty of people do... and make sure it's a TDA1543 and NOT a TDA1543A.

Donor board is hard to get in Malaysia. To get TDA1543 from Farnell may take 1 week while the Marantz local distributor has ex-stock for the SM5872.

This weekend, I will probe the board again, especially on the power as it is very strange that both channel is affected at the same time...

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:

Any ideas guys?

Hi Lee.

It must be a ground loop.

All my cables have the common GND connected only at the source plugs and I never experienced any hum problems.

Ricardo

RCruz said:
All my cables have the common GND connected only at the source plugs and I never experienced any hum problems.

Ricardo

You and Thomo confuse me here, how can you transfer a signal without GND connected at both ends? Are you talking about coaxial cables or twisted-pair screened cables?

I believe there is no hum when only one channel is connected?

André

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Andre Visser said:

You and Thomo confuse me here, how can you transfer a signal without GND connected at both ends? Are you talking about coaxial cables or twisted-pair screened cables?

Hi Andre

I mean that the GND screening is only connected to the imput side. (Of course, Live and Neutral wires must be connected so you get a return circuit otherwise no sound comes out):D

Andre Visser said:

André

LOL. You can't, I was talking complete trash.

Sorry for the confusion, indeed it is only the screen that's not connected. Turns out the problem arose when I moved the player and changed the leads. The regulator supplying the clock moved and shorted one of the resistors to gnd.

Problem solved, and the new Pure Silve/Gold interconnects are incredible btw.

Regards, Lee.

Hello,

Seems to me that there is no electronic parts stores (catalog) in US who will carry any of this parts that are listed in mod diagrams/ parts list.
I am referring to passive elements. I checked with Digi-Key, MOUSER, and they all came up with close but not exact components with very low tolerance.
Al tho MOUSER offered me something from EU partner company, but price was very high (shipping) and I need to wait 2-3 weeks.

Can anybody here give me an idea what type (brand, material, casing) of resistors and capacitors are used in this moding, maybe I will able to find something locally.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aram.

If you could be more specific someone state-side can surely point you in the right direction.

Resistors sometimes said to have good sound:
Kiwame (rebadged industrial carbon), Vishay bulk metal foil, Holco H2, Allen Bradley, Shinkoh tantalum + others, maybe Mundorf's new resistors for example.

Electrolytic caps that people on this thread have used:
Elna Cerafine, Elna Silmic, Elna For Audio (all quite good), Black Gate Standard (great value), Black Gate FK, Black Gate PK (good for local decoupling of ICs), Panasonic FC (perhaps not one to put near the output stage), Rubycon ZA (ZL seems quite good too), Sanyo Os-con (for digital rails mainly). Those last 3 you'll find in "normal", industrial suppliers, the rest you need "interesting" shops for.

Signal-coupling film caps:
Mundorf (all seem really good, MKP and ZN thought to offer great value), millions of others (not worth listing!!!)

Caps used for filter parts:
Silvered mica (safe bet), polystyrene (safe bet), PPS, various higher quality ceramics.

I hope this is useful.

Simon