Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Thomo said:
BG STD Supply caps, output cap is BG AC 6.8uF. The resistors are all vishay smt's and filter caps are Silver Mica. I agree to the flowing and organic comment. I think maybe I just got used to the more forceful opamp sound.

What do you use for the output psu Simon? At the moment I am still using the SE tx + 2200uF 35v BG FK. Maybe bigger will be better.

Lee.

So you have really nice parts! Perhaps you found no problems with the op-amp sound. For me it was a relief to get rid of it - much more relaxed sound now.

For the output I use the standard +/-20V from the (KI) transformer & schottky diodes. Smoothing is 1000uF/25V BG Std, regs are Sercal S-Power and local decoupling is 220uF/35V Cerafine.

Simon

rowemeister said:
You get a similar effect to what you get by adding a good reg on the dac analogue.

Hmm, I have to disagree here. I think the effect these regs have is quite different to adding one to DAC analogue.

The DAC reg improves the sound in all ways, but really makes it more detailed, warmer, sweeter, nicer! This is a safe upgrade, which doesn't change the character of the player too much.

The output stage regs perform a very different trick: they made mine sound brighter, cleaner, clearer, with vastly sharper transients, particularly noticeable in the treble. The sound certainly opens up! Be cautious about doing this if your system is too bright. This upgrade affects the presentation greatly.

My :2c: anyway ;)

Simon

Brent, you have had too much influence over my money spending, and today after a 6 hour round trip you spent £500 more of my graduate overdraft. Set them up downstairs in our 'playroom' rather than my tip of a room :D

They sound sensational, just gobsmacking :bigeyes: :D :bigeyes:

And that is with my lowly 75W p/c arcam amp. Im going to pick up the matching power amp which should make them sound even better, as the bass is a little flabby. O and the cd-63 makes a huge difference, when i heard them at the blokes house today through his prototype amp and rubbish denon transport + cheapy DAC they sounded worse than with my setup.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Been listening to them for a few hours now and boy do they show off badly recorded cds. The corrs 'talk on corners' is unlistenable, just flat, lifeless and just plain wrong. But the latest madonna cd sounds better than anything in my collection, new PRIMARY demo cd for sure.

Also love the look of the PSUs on your site, il have to plan when i can afford to get you to do my player after ive been saying the same thing for the last few months. But am moving down to London in Jan to start a new job so need to save my pennies now for a deposit on a flat rental with the mrs.

Listening to some tunes whilst waiting for the big match tonight :D :D (weirdly those are my younger brothers feet, make of it what you will )
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Regarding discrete stages vs. opamps... the discrete stage I built and put in my Rotel just absolutely slays any opamp I ever had in there, including LM4562, LM6172, and AD826. I actually put the AD826s back in before I implemented the discrete because they sounded better than the 4562s. Pic of it in here. If the image doesn't show up, it is here.

I may have to try one of the SRegs on the DAC 5V, but this has been one of the longer periods of no desire to mod it more :eek:

rowemeister said:
Ad

You need ....

XRCD dire straites brothers in arms
XRCD jazz at the pawn shop 1 & 2

eric clapton live unplugged

Diana Krall -The girl in the other room

If any of those cds sound poop then you have issues with your system.

Sometimes issues are good, it lets you realise where errors are

Brent

XRCD ? Well i have a copy of brothers in arms and clapton unplugged will arrive off ebay on mon or tues. Still havent got any krall, but norah jones did sound sublime.

I was lucky with teh stands too as i was talking to the guy on the phone about the new £150 target stands i wanted then he mentioned these old skool fully welded targets he had. Plus they are about 1/2 filled with lead shots too. Not bad for a cheeky £50.

@simon: I can safely say i will not be upgrading speakers for a long long time, i have never heard music sound this good. It was like the step from logitech speakers to my monitor audios !

Poor hatton, the ref didnt help but maywether was just soo accurate with his punches and new how to put off hatton. Bedtime now, followed by bacon sandwich lunch, then music listening day :D

Hi Guys, good to see the thread is still the Mother of All Threads !

I been away, busy with work and travelling, back on the mod wagon again with the cd63.

Everyone I show or play an XRCD for say whats that ? Well XRCD is Extended Resolution CD, usually 24bit recordings, not sacd, but a recording that sounds way better than the standard recording on 2 channel cd.

I have a few, Sting sounds good with live instruments on XRCD, Havnt got Dire Straits yet on XRCD but guess its gonna be good cos of the guitar ! :)

Den

adfinni said:

@simon: I can safely say i will not be upgrading speakers for a long long time, i have never heard music sound this good. It was like the step from logitech speakers to my monitor audios !

Terrific news Adam! I knew you'd like the ATCs, and they're not bass-shy, something you'd not expect for their size.

Sadly, due to moving back with my parents I'm in a small bedroom and have had to lend out my proper speakers and big subwoofer. The rest is the same, but with Tangent Monitor 6 speakers :xeye:

So I have a lovely CD63, nice preamp, beefy mono power amps, £80/m speaker cable.... feeding £65 speakers :bigeyes:

Ah well, I've never heard cheap speakers sound anything remotely like this!

ImSparticus said:
Havnt got Dire Straits yet on XRCD but guess its gonna be good cos of the guitar ! :)

Tis good, sounds very clean but nice!

Simon

A little o/t

SimontY said:

So I have a lovely CD63, nice preamp, beefy mono power amps, £80/m speaker cable.... feeding £65 speakers :bigeyes:

Ah well, I've never heard cheap speakers sound anything remotely like this!
Simon

Hi Simon. Why don't you build something off here? I can recommend the mini-onken. Amazing amount of nice bass for such a small design + fantastic stereo imaging. I couldn't believe the pound/performance.

Lee.

Re: A little o/t

Thomo said:

Hi Simon. Why don't you build something off here? I can recommend the mini-onken. Amazing amount of nice bass for such a small design + fantastic stereo imaging. I couldn't believe the pound/performance.

Lee.

Well my mind has started to wander onto ideas of small kevlar mid/bass drivers and high quality tweeters, in bass-light alignments that could work in my small room.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look into the Mini Onken.

Sorry for continued OT :whazzat:

Simon