Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

I guess the PCB layout and DAC chip quality could be important factors as well as the obviously superior provision of power to important circuits in that CD player.

Does the Audiocom package look good?

My CD63 is getting another super regulator (one of Brent's old ones). This will be no.6 and probably be used for DAC digital (other 5 are: 2x clocks, 2x output stage, 1x DAC analogue).

Simon

SimontY said:
I guess the PCB layout and DAC chip quality could be important factors as well as the obviously superior provision of power to important circuits in that CD player.

Does the Audiocom package look good?

My CD63 is getting another super regulator (one of Brent's old ones). This will be no.6 and probably be used for DAC digital (other 5 are: 2x clocks, 2x output stage, 1x DAC analogue).

Simon

The audiocom package is similar to what I did (not sure what opamps they use) but does include a superclock. From all I read and hear about the 640 I'm not sure that the clock needs much improving but I guess Audiocom have to include a superclock in all their mods packages as it's their core product.

Pete

Chivvyp said:

The audiocom package is similar to what I did (not sure what opamps they use) but does include a superclock. From all I read and hear about the 640 I'm not sure that the clock needs much improving but I guess Audiocom have to include a superclock in all their mods packages as it's their core product.

Pete

Audiocon use 4562 nowadays in fact they seem to use lots of upgrade paths others thought of first :whazzat:

Brent

rowemeister said:

Audiocon use 4562 nowadays in fact they seem to use lots of upgrade paths others thought of first :whazzat:

Brent

rowemeister said:

Yes i'm sure a really friendly and helpful smaller business would offer a better deal/upgrade. :angel: soon :angel:

Brent

Brent.

How much do you pay DIYA for advertising?

Why don't you start your own Secal thread on the Trade forum instead of cussing Audiocom and pushing your own products on this thread? I think it would be a lot more productive!

Mags.

Actually I have sent 5 emails over the past 6 months asking about advertising in the banners. Not one reply back!!!

I live on this thread and try to help people as much as I can. I started making these products as an hobby to help with upgrades on the cd63 67 spending an awful amount on money on research and development (the audio part of my business is approx 1%-2% of what my business actually does), some people on here have bought these products and have found them helpful.

I could move away from this thread if people want me too but I have felt it's where my home is.

Also it is very easy for me to say things about Audiocom products as i've owned pretty much all they have produced (except clock 4).

Brent

Mags said:

Brent.

How much do you pay DIYA for advertising?

Why don't you start your own Secal thread on the Trade forum instead of cussing Audiocom and pushing your own products on this thread? I think it would be a lot more productive!

Mags.

A little unfair.

Brent has been an active participant in this thread.
His website gives credit to the thread etc.

Several other forum members sell products which are 'pushed' frequently eg Tent and other clock/dac producers. Pass Labs has it's own section!!

Is this worse than those who take ideas and market them as their own without credit ? I think not.

Andy

poynton said:

A little unfair.

Brent has been an active participant in this thread.
His website gives credit to the thread etc.

True, I didn't mean it to sound so harsh.

poynton said:

Several other forum members sell products which are 'pushed' frequently eg Tent and other clock/dac producers. Pass Labs has it's own section!!

Nelson deserves his own section with all of his development, free schematics etc. Not to mention the huge following!

poynton said:

Is this worse than those who take ideas and market them as their own without credit ? I think not.

I'll stay away from this comment.

Cheers,
Mags. (formerly mags899, might ring some bells!)

Simon pushes Brent's stuff more than Brent does!
(And why not when he's obviously a very happy customer.)

Between those two (and of course Ray) they've been the life-blood of this thread and long may it continue.

If he makes a few quid on the side, good luck to him he deserves to.

By the way folks, I replaced the inductors in my filter with Toko 10RB shielded ones (were previously 'C & D Technologies' ones from Farnell) and as well as clearing up the (slight) hum problem I was having, the sound is definitely sweeter. I never really considered the sound properties of the inductors before, concentrating on the caps mainly and the resistors.

I recommend them...

Glenn2 said:
Simon pushes Brent's stuff more than Brent does!
(And why not when he's obviously a very happy customer.)

Indeed, I do like what Brent has made available, and it's not just because I get things at cost price (which, incidentally, is barely cheaper than the full price). There is no commission, and if I like other companies I will mention those - such as www.hificollective.co.uk who I've used for the excellent Kiwame resistors and suchlike.

Without Brent I'd not have been able to even fit a lot of what I have done such has been his generosity in offering advice and tips.

I think Brent has used the thread to help improve the give/take balance by occasionally mentioning products, but he still gives more than he takes - if you catch my entirely innuendo-free drift.

As for Audiocom-bashing, well I personally could have an axe to grind as I've spent money with them and been very disappointed, as I know some others have. A public forum such as this is the perfect place to warn or encourage people in using certain companies, such as people have done about Grandata, CPC and Nikko/Dalbani WRT replacement lasers (the conclusion was to use CPC!) Audiocom are known for their clocks and various people have recommended those, including Brent himself, so I think he's very open and balanced with his opinions (too open sometimes??)

I hope Brent doesn't give up on helping members on this thread, and maybe he can learn to leave the product recommendations to those who don't have a financial interest. I will keep shouting about how good S Power regulators and C1 clocks are because they rival and perhaps outperform much of the competition and for very low, silly profit margins. I would even go so far as to say that, so far, these products cannot be worth selling for profit and that a love of the hobby must be a prime motivator in making them available. Long may it continue.

Simon

ps - may God bless Ray's CD63/7 thread :angel:

Thomo said:

Yeah - me too.

They have lower DCR than the others (10R vs 40R) too.

They're a bit fatter than some - don't know if they would fit your PCB - but you can figure that out from the data sheet on the Toko website.

The guy (Peter) is very friendly but they are a small operation and only post out on Mondays and Thursdays.

I enquired about stock on a Sunday eve, he replied within the hour, I supplied payment details and they posted the next day. Arrived Tuesday morning, very well packaged, with a catalogue of their other lines. Can't say fairer than that!

I couldn't find them anywhere else.