Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Just been looking at the drawing - thanks for that.
The only difference with mine then is that the grey goes to C802 instead of U306.

I'll try changing it tonight and let you know.

BTW these are the voltages :-

KI SE
U305 14 13.8
U306 16.4 16.5
U307 33.6 16.5
U308 9.7 8.6
U309 0 0
U310 9.6 8.8
U311 0 0
U312 0 0

Will check the voltages tonight from your drawing.

Thanks matey.

Jim

rowemeister said:
Hi Ray
When testing the different caps and resistors we found the polystyrene caps gave a little more warmth to the sound over ceramic caps, but the silver mica were nearly identical.

At the moment we are using ceramic COG types as we found these to be quite neutral, on the pcb only 4 are in the filter and non in the amp section.
Comparing the pcb to the different opamps is night and day in audio terms - very natural and open sounding, nothing added nothing taken away (but you know this already).

Brent

Hi Brent,

COG is indeed a nice choice in this case. This PCB will probably give close to 100% of what's possible with this kind of output stage. If you upgrade a standard player with it straight away, you'll get shock-therapy with the major step it will make in sound.

BTW, where's the 'filter designed by Ray' imprint on the PCB?? Some credit would be nice :yes:. I'll put the PCB on my website in return :clown:.

Regards,

Ray

Ahha

Don't worry about any non recognition matey

I've not drafted anything up yet for the spiel to go with it but I can certainly add a link to your web site with a nice thankyou for the design of the filter section.

It's a spot on design and there was no point in changing any values on a pcb design that worked perfectly for over a year now.

I looked at changing the FETs to non 2SK170 but there is nothing that comes close so I stuck with them too.

I hope this pcb brings good audio to many.

Brent

6h5c said:

BTW, where's the 'filter designed by Ray' imprint on the PCB?? Some credit would be nice :yes:. I'll put the PCB on my website in return :clown:.

Regards,

Ray

Don't forget Remco! :clown:

Nice work Brent. You could even make a little rectifier/smoother PCB to go with it (and maybe sell it with a toroid for the fully-populated version) and you've got an all-in-one solution for people.... for any differential voltage out DAC (though admittedly most do not require as much filtering).

Glenn2 said:
Don't forget Remco! :clown:

That's why I wrote 'filter'...

rowemeister said:
Ahha

Don't worry about any non recognition matey

I've not drafted anything up yet for the spiel to go with it but I can certainly add a link to your web site with a nice thankyou for the design of the filter section.

It's a spot on design and there was no point in changing any values on a pcb design that worked perfectly for over a year now.

I looked at changing the FETs to non 2SK170 but there is nothing that comes close so I stuck with them too.

I hope this pcb brings good audio to many.

Brent

Yeah, I hope so too. No, no worries, this PCB could be the small push that some people need to implement such an outputstage. It indeed is a simple but effective recipe. Also works very good in a SA8400, with a modified filter of course (listening to it right now!), and this shows the quality can match that of some very high-end players!

If you have the page for the PCB cooked-up i'd be happy to include a link on my outputstage-section, just drop me a mail.

Ray

Glenn2 said:
Ray - did you decide in the end that the SA7001 was as good as the SA8400?

(AlthoughI think the 8400 looks nicer personally but 7001 has a KI brother.)

How many Marantz players do you have by the way!

I have eight at the moment :cool:. But three of them are going to be sold as soon as i'm finished modifying them (a CD63KI, CD67mkII and a CD72mkII), one of them (CD57) is at my work for the nescessary shot of Marantz during labour :D and one of them (also a CD57) is an ugly scrap-player I use on my home-workbench to create test signals. I'm planning to take a few pictures with all of them stacked, just for fun :D.

I haven't even started modding the 7001, but i'm sure it will be as good as a 8400, as the PCB and the transport are identical, except for a few minor details.

Regards,

Ray

Brent

Haven't had chance to tinker with the KI yet but will let you know tomorrow night.

Two sets of voltages - first ones for KI second ones for SE. The headers slipped over to the left.

Ooops. That's how it got bu**ered in the first place I think!!

Jim

PS all voltages were measured from the U whatever across to ground.

Will measure again across the relevant pairs tomorrow, now I know what goes where!!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi All

I want to reclock my 53 SE and already identyfied two clocks... X101 8.46MHz on the servo... XD01 16.9344 MHz on the DAC.
What is the purpose of the third clock (XF01 8MHz ?? ).

Which Clock should I replace to have more detail and pace in the music ?

Best regards

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
Hi

The 8Mhz is for the cpu and this does not require changing.

Firstly change the dac clock and then change the servo clock. Not many people have changed the servo clock but it does make a large improvement on fine details and resonance to bass.
The dac clock makes a more broadband improvement.

Brent

Hi Brent

I am actually using an external DAC (SONY DTC 670) because its sound is much more detailed and spacious.

Does any clock change would increase the 53SE decoder performance.... I believe there is no point in changing the 53 DAC clock because its not been used.

Regards

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
Yes it would increase the decoder performance as the internal dac supplies a 16.9Mhz clock to the decoder. But with this information I think you should clock the servo instead.

Also has the external dac been clocked?

Hi Brent

Thank you for your info.
Can you suggest a particular solution for the Servo?

I do not have any schematics for the external dac so I did not touch it..Yet!!

Regards