Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

rowemeister said:
Hi all.

I have done a mod which many of you will just laugh at :(
And its no where near has complex as the tube mod, but I am keeping an open mind.
The LED mod :cannotbe:

I will test this fully to see if there is any difference.

Wooow, ----pimp my player----

I know a fellow-DIY'er that put green LED's in his player and told me the bass had improved considerably. He also uses the greem marker on the edges of his cd's. I haven't had the chance to hear the differences, but if you detect any, i'm going to try it too :D.

Ray.

poynton said:

So, I am now going to try the small tubes.........

Hi.

Another day .....had to repair the power supply this morning - somehow the Tx developed a primary short. Luckily I had a New TX to hand so I could repair it.

Worth the wait though !!!!!!!!!

Now using one of the minature tubes ( 6BF7W ).

Really excellent sound - possibly a little lighter on the bass than the E88CC but only a RCH !

B+ is incredible - it does not seem to distort (audibly) until B+ goes down to 3.5v - Correct 3.5v !! then it cuts off anyway ! I will keep it at B+ = 25v - audible performance does not seem to improve above this.

Heater is running a bit bright for my liking and gets HOT. I will try on 5v regulated supply rather than 6.3v AC

Andy

Attachments

• amp-2.jpg
    amp-2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 640
6h5c said:

Did you measure any noise residue at the output that I experienced earlier?

Ray.

Hi Ray,

Do you still have the hiss??

I have been playing with the latest incarnation with interesting results!

Refering to Thorsten's circuit...

I used a probe connected to my amp at various points.
I could only detect significant hiss at the input at the junction of the choke and the DAC output ( where you would expect - no filtering whatsoever).

The interesting part is that after the choke, some hiss, slight buzz - and perfectly acceptable music !

Have I just found the ultimate minimalist mod?? straight off the DAC with a filter - no op amps, tubes etc??

Try it.

Andy

Hi Andy!

Nice results! Especially at this low voltage.
Did you use a current sink for the kathodes, or a resistor?

You really got me going on this!
I went to the dump-store this afternoon, and I picked up some 5672 and 6418 pencil-tubes. They are low-voltage direct-heated penthodes that use 1,25V heater supply! I don't know if they're any good, but one of them has got very nice triode characteristics!
As soon as I have the passive part finished i'm going to try them.

Regards,

Ray.

Attachments

• 5672_char.jpg
    5672_char.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 575
6h5c said:
Hi Andy!

I went to the dump-store this afternoon, and I picked up some 5672 and 6418 pencil-tubes. They are low-voltage direct-heated penthodes that use 1,25V heater supply! I don't know if they're any good, but one of them has got very nice triode characteristics!
As soon as I have the passive part finished i'm going to try them.

Regards,

Ray.

What is a dump store??? How much??

Just a resistor - no ccd

poynton said:
Hi Ray,
Do you still have the hiss??
Andy

Yes, it is still there. But it is not audible with music playing. I only noticed it when I turned the volume of my amp to 100%, to see if the tubestage was humming/making noise. But my CD63, which uses the standard opamps + filter also produces the same hiss. So I THINK it is a HF residue caused by the DAC. It was about 22mV in amplitude, and Brent also measured it. Did you check with a scope yet?

poynton said:

Ehm, a shop with lots of junk, where they sell old army stuff and surplus parts, I don't know the exact word in english. They have at least two boxes full of these, they only cost me € 1,00 each! So I bought four of both types.

Ray.

Attachments

• 5672.jpg
    5672.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 626

This, for example:

http://www.military-tubes.com/index_en.html

When you have good luck, you find sometimes under the label "sub-micro tubes" 250g tubes for 5 Euro!

I ordered 500gr and got more than 160 tubes:

Many 6021, 6111, 6112 double triodes. And many 5702, 5636 and some other pentodes, and Diodes, Regulators and so on.

Franz

Attachments

• halbeskilo.jpg
    halbeskilo.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 675
Hi Franz,

Cool site! I love those places.

I'm very glad I have a place like that about half an hour driving from where I live. It's called "BACO". I go there like once in a month to check if they have new things. They have a (dutch) website too: http://www.baco-army-goods.nl/

This is my tube-collection so far. About half of it (and the boxed ones) comes from the dump-store, and the other half is old TV tubes (PL series).

Ray.

Attachments

• tubes.jpg
    tubes.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 643
ray
got the pdf with the pcb layout
awesome! thank you very much:D

something to investigate while i'm waiting for the tent clock.

rowemeister
HF signal - Data Signals, how about cat5?

andy
"Have I just found the ultimate minimalist mod?? straight off the DAC with a filter - no op amps, tubes etc??"

Internal dac filter?

now back to work

allan

rowemeister said:
I have loads of CAT5.

What benefit does this wire have?

Cat5(e) is network cable. (e) i think
supposed to be designed for insulated 100Mhz+ data transfer

at the frequency we need should not pickup to much noise
cleaner data transfer?

a couple of posts somewhere in the diy forum were looking at it
don't remember the outcome or where i saw it.

I see if i can find it.

allan

just did search:bigeyes:
lots of ref to cat5e

some were using for interconnect cable

will try to narrow it down:xeye: