Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

rowemeister said:
I like the Russ Andrews Reference power kords. These are not screened in the conventional way, their screening is created by the weave.

Lots of bass , open midrange , detailed treble and a really quiet background.

Brent

Any many Francs! lol

Still talking in Russ Andrews type products a budget way of achieving this would be to use a short run of good woven speaker cable, such as Kimber 4VS. This is a cheap and excellent way to solve the problem. Try Ebay for a single mono run.

Use a good mains plug, I'm not sure if there's an equivalent in France, something like the MK Tough Plug is great.

Simon

Yes I agree Simon. Russ Andrews 8TC speaker cable is the same wire as the Reference powerkord minus the earth. This can be added down the middle of it.
The 4TC is the same as the Classic power kord.

Some pics of Ref Kord stripped back

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Brent

Malefoda said:
Many what?
I've seen many Olflex around here, there's hot.
http://cgi.ebay.fr/A-SAISIR-2-CABLE...107482708QQcategoryZ92234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Cheap ones, (the plug is quite small)
http://cgi.ebay.fr/CABLE-SECTEUR-OL...109953654QQcategoryZ92234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Better looking one...
Guys any thoughts about this brand?
Thx

I was being silly, Euros then if you like.

Hard to say how good that cord will be as I don't speak French or know anything about the fit tightness of the plugs or their materials, or the actual wire. I'd hazard a guess at the level of quality improvement you may or may not be able to hear.

I still think it's better to source some Kimber cable and add a quality mains plug on the end. Cheaper and better.

Simon

I'm not that stupid ;) (even if I seem so ;) )
I have right now no use of earth as my house plugs has no earth! I'll do the star earth after, when all my TX set, and RCA changed for gold plated. The first purpose is to use a good quality main cable. So that's the reason why I used an IEC plug.
Edit: it's a mistake in my previous post, as I said I did earthed, wich I did not. I just wanna said to Shepp how we changed the plug. Sorry

Glenn2 said:
Don't forget kids that if you earth more than one component in the system you can get hum loops anyway.

I have an (earthed) cable TV connection to my TV, which is connected to my amp. When I tried earthing my amp I got hum.

I get a little hum when I connect my soundcard to my pre-amp. I guess I'm creating a loop here (CD player is earthed, amps are not). Ah well, it's mild.

Nice avatar Glenn, not at all contraversial. Black and White Minstrel Show is it?

Night chaps!

Simon

Hi guys!

I'm new on DIYAudio. Today i received a beautiful cd 63 SE. :cool:
It was given to me by a friendly guy.
I know that there's many tricks to mod it and turn it into a ferrari cd player.
The problem is i'm an absolut beginner!:(
Firstly the laser seems to be old and do not work properly anymore.
What is the reference of the laser pick up, please?
What kind of easy first improvments i can do on it?

Many thanks for your answers

Renaud